The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I’m curious about these strings. What style do you play 121?
Not sure I can put a name to what style I play.

I use a flat pick and play tunes like Satin Doll, Girl From Ipanema, Summer Time, early Beatles, early Stones and some blues.

I strum chords and ad lib lead parts in between vocals parts.
One part of my lead playing style is slide blend picking.
Maybe slide blend picking is not the proper term but it's sliding the fret fingers with pressure on the strings from note to note, slide blend.

When using round wound, ground round or coated strings, finger pressure on these slide blends causes that annoying string squeak.
Reduced finger pressure can mitigate or alleviate string squeak but it also mitigates or alleviates the slide blend effect.

I like flat wound strings because there's never any irritating string squeak.

I favor the Dogal strings over the Galli because in all three of the Galli string set sizes I've tried (AJF1047, AJF1150 and AJF1252),
the 3rd string (flat wound G) the surface has been rough enough that the very slightest string squeak can be detected.
It's more noticeable in the AJF1150 and AJF1252 sets I've tried.
I did contact Galli (in Italy), but I don't know if the issue has been solved.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 06-30-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Galli G string
Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Thanks 121. Was hoping to hear more from your experiences. And i thought TI Plectrums were pricey!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Guest 720

Martin Retros, but think they need a few days to break in, then they sound great!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Current favorites are the TI Plectrums on my Emerald X7
Another TI Plectrum fan on my Rainsong but want to try D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings based on fantastic result with these strings on my Froggy Bottom H -12.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Another TI Plectrum fan on my Rainsong but want to try D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings based on fantastic result with these strings on my Froggy Bottom H -12.
It might be just me as I'm a slight nail and flesh fingerstyle player, but I like mellow and lighter tension strings. I tried the D'addario NBs on both my Shorty and OF660 but they were way too bright and stiff for my tastes. I didn't like them at all and may be my least favorite on CF that I've tried. I'd love to hear your thoughts though.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:15 PM

Default Register user

Rec'd the Outdoor Uke Baritone body size carbon fiber 6-string guitar with D'Addario Pro-Art Nylon Core EJ43 Silverplated wound clear nylon light tension Classical. They sound dead and boring. Don't even try them.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Today I replaced Martin Retros that had been on my Rainsong H-DR1100 - the carbon/glass hybrid dreadnought - for about two months. I'm a flat-picker new to Carter style accompaniment strumming, and do not play lead. The Retros had plenty of volume, but were too bright/brash for my taste, and I've started a search to see if a set of mellow strings will warm up the Rainsong. Today I installed a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Soft Acoustic Guitar Strings - 11-52 Gauge, and so far I like them much better than the Retros on this guitar. It has a bit less volume now, but not as much as I was expecting. It still has a nice low end for bass runs, but the B and high E seem a little thin - probably because they are 15s and 11s instead of the Retro 16s and 12s. And given they ae silk and steel, they are noticeably easier on the fingers. We'll see how long they last. I'll leave them on a few months and try the next set - GHS Strings Vintage Bronze.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz Low Tension, in addition to my carbon fiber guitars, I prefer them on my Martin 00-18, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-23-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Current favorites are the TI Plectrums on my Emerald X7
+1, found the Plectrums more different (in a good way) than any other set I have tried on my X7. Liked nickels on the Cargo, as others have pointed out, but D' silk are nice too.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I'm very happy with D'Addario Nickel Bronze on my Emerald X20.

As an bonus, they look really nice with CF too
I followed your lead and put a set on my X20. I was dragging my feet in anticipation of my first attempt at changing strings with a painless bridge, but it wasn't bad.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-26-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I followed your lead and put a set on my X20. I was dragging my feet in anticipation of my first attempt at changing strings with a painless bridge, but it wasn't bad.
Painless bridge

How do you like the NBs? I’ve got Elixir PB Nanos on mine right now, and the darn things won’t wear out fast enough to get back to Nickel Bronze.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
...How do you like the NBs? I’ve got Elixir PB Nanos on mine right now, and the darn things won’t wear out fast enough to get back to Nickel Bronze.
I just installed them this morning, but so far so good....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM

For me, D'Addario nickel bronze. They are great both on my Emerald X20 and on my Rainsong Concert dreadnought.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Peronally like the Martin Retros/monel on my Rainsong CH-OM. I feel they warm up the tone. The John Pearse Nickels are nice as well.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 09-26-2022, 07:14 PM

Default D'addario NYXLs and Flat-tops

I use a combination of D'addario NYXL trebles of a custom gauge 16-18-20p and the D'addario Flat Tops for my basses (36-45-56) on my Emerald X7. I generally tune my acoustics to G minor, G major, or D major. I like the NYXLs because they don't develop a pitted texture quickly like normal plain steels . . . they remain smooth under my fingertip/fingernail longer.

I'm not much of a fan of the pinless bridge at this point as I like to load the post with winds to get a good break angle and it's a challenge to keep tension on the ball end without a steeply angled crimp on the ball end. NYXLs have strengthened winds there so a steep crimp is no biggie, but it's still prone to slipping while I'm layering my winds to the base of the post.

I want to try my custom gauge on the Enya Nova Go I just picked up, but I'm dubious as to whether it can withstand this level of tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
cf guitars, strings