The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-09-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Game Changer - Vintage Gibson Mandolin

I started my mandolin journey about a year ago. At the suggestion of Dennis at The Mandolin Store, I bought an Eastman MD505, which I really like and have had a great time playing it.

Earlier this year, a used Weber Yellowstone popped up at a decent price on another forum, so I jumped on that. While the Yellowstone is a higher end instrument, it really did not blow the Eastman away in terms of tone and playability.

So over the past few months, I have been going back and forth between the two, getting more and more into the mandolin world of making music.

A couple weeks ago, we made a trip to Nashville, and of course, we visited both Carter's Vintage Guitars, and Gruhn's. The visit to Carter's was not very memorable, but when we walked into Gruhn's we were greeted by George himself. While I had no goals (other than browsing around), somehow we got on the track of looking at different mandolins. George spent over an hour with us, pulling down different mandos for me to check out. Everything from a $50K Gibson F model (which I was a afraid to even touch) to a 1908 Gibson F4 (oval hole). I fell in love with that F4, but just could not justify dropping $5K on it at the time.

So, when I returned home, I remembered seeing a 1929 Gibson A model (oval hole) in the classifieds here at a much more reasonable price. Contacted the seller and asked for a sound clip, and liked what I heard. Closed the deal, and received the mandolin yesterday.

While the clips did sound good, they did nothing to demonstrate the true nature of this instrument. I don't know if this is the nature of an oval hole mando, old wood, or just a great build, but this mandolin sounds amazing. A more deep, woody tone, with resonance and sustain do die for. Excellent condition for its age. And loud.

Wifey was even impressed at how good it sounded (she has always chided me about my mandolins sounding like ukuleles).

While I am not planning to get rid of the Eastman or Weber just yet, I will be spending most of my playing time on this Gibson. The nut is just a bit wider than the other two, making it much more playable for me.

To say I am pleased with this purchase is an understatement.

Obligatory pics:

D

Last edited by dhodgeh; 12-09-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:10 PM

Glad you are liking your mandolin. I have an Eastman MD 505. Maybe the vintage Gibson A-style will be my next one eventually.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:54 PM

Congrats, nice find. I bet you're having some fun on your journey, I think that's what it's about.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 12-09-2021, 12:59 PM

That is a sweet little Gibson, I came extremely close to buying that mandolin but I wound up with another Gibson (after having a not so good experience with a Collings). I think yours was one of the best deals on a vintage Oval A model on the internet. I'm sure it will serve you well. CONGRATS!
Old 12-09-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Well if that is your ideal sound, I can see why you wouldn't care for your Weber. I have the spectrum covered with my 1913 A 1, a Silverangel, my home brew and a Weber Yellowstone Deluxe. Oddly, I don't generally like Webers, just this one.

An old Gibson oval is great if Celtic or old timey is your thing. Play it in good health.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments