The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-27-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post

I'd be leery of applying an automobile product to the guitar's finish.
the make up of a car finish and a guitar finish are almost identical. I'm not a scientist, but they are basically made up of the same "stuff"

Never use anything made for furniture, not ever.. not even once.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
Robert O’Brien of O’Brien guitars uses a product called GLUBOOST to fix scratches and small dings on guitars in his shop. He has a number of videos of the process available on YouTube.
Mr. O’Brien’s videos are well made and provide good information. Gluboost is a CA-type Glue specifically aimed at the guitar industry. It’s a good product but like all CA glue, can cause a real mess in unskilled hands for drop-filling surface imperfections in finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the make up of a car finish and a guitar finish are almost identical. I'm not a scientist, but they are basically made up of the same "stuff"

Never use anything made for furniture, not ever.. not even once.
Automotive products, particularly rubbing compounds, are often used by professionals in guitar repair. Finishing products aimed at furniture are also frequently used. As long as one avoids products with silicone, they are fine.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

The rule of thumb I’ve always used is that if you can “catch” the scratch with your fingernail, it’s probably too deep to rub out. If not, I’ve had good luck with Meguiar’s Show Car Glaze.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair