The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Two loose bridges in a few days?

A few days ago I posted a thread about a guitar with a loose bridge.Well today I found another one, a Seagull S6. I realized there is a gap behind the bridge and if you put a piece of paper it gets up to the pins. So I have some work to do.
Is this random? We've had a heat wave here recently with temperatures of almost 40°C, and both guitars were out of the case for days. Not exposed to direct sunlight and not left in an attic or similar, but I wonder if global warming is starting to be a problem for guitars here in Spain.
Do you think it's possible that the glue has softened in hot days? Should I use another kind of glue more heat resistant?

Last edited by jrodriguezcros; 07-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:56 PM

It can't be global warming, since that is a Chinese hoax. This was proved by bringing a snowball to the floor of the US Senate. For that scientific achievement, the Senator who brought it was made head of the Committee on Environment. You might not know these things in Spain.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM

40c is not an issue, that is a common temperature in summer here in Australia.

You just happened to notice it now, i find most times loose bridges occur from people over humidifying their guitars, that is, people put humidity packs into their guitar not knowing if it needs it or not.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
It can't be global warming, since that is a Chinese hoax. This was proved by bringing a snowball to the floor of the US Senate. For that scientific achievement, the Senator who brought it was made head of the Committee on Environment. You might not know these things in Spain.
I know we have a few of those over here as well, unfortunately.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
40c is not an issue, that is a common temperature in summer here in Australia.

You just happened to notice it now, i find most times loose bridges occur from people over humidifying their guitars, that is, people put humidity packs into their guitar not knowing if it needs it or not.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yes I guess I just noticed now.
I don't humidify guitars, here we have 70-80 % humidity many days. Actually I wonder if that could be related to the problem with bridges.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
But now his wife has started a charity to combat attacks by vicious baby seals that are overrunning the coast. It's reported to be a Japanese ran conspiracy that's being investigated by his brother in law. He's got a minor in Egyptian history.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM

40deg C? Good God I guess I better stop complaining about the heat here in Virginia. It hit 32 yesterday and I was melting. I do wish the Chinese would stop with this practical joke, it's getting kind of old.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 AM

It's not just temperature, humidity is a major factor. Many years ago I moved from the Northeast to the Western Plains to work as a carpenter. The guys I worked with gave me a hard time about not being use to temperature extremes like they they have out there. During the summer, it got up to 38C and the odd day 40C, but the humidity was really low. They were surprised when I handled it quite well. That was easier than the Northeast when it was 30C and 95% humidity. Same in the winter. Working outside at -40 C (same -40F) isn't bad when you dress for it. Try -25C and high humidity. No matter how you dress, that damp cold will get through everything and chill you to the bone. And sometimes it's not just the heat or the cold, it's the stupidity.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM

All talk about humidity and environmental conditions aside. I would like to know what gauge strings are recommended for the guitars in question, and what gauge are you actually using.

Ed
Old 07-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoFrancisco View Post
It's not just temperature, humidity is a major factor. Many years ago I moved from the Northeast to the Western Plains to work as a carpenter. The guys I worked with gave me a hard time about not being use to temperature extremes like they they have out there. During the summer, it got up to 38C and the odd day 40C, but the humidity was really low. They were surprised when I handled it quite well. That was easier than the Northeast when it was 30C and 95% humidity. Same in the winter. Working outside at -40 C (same -40F) isn't bad when you dress for it. Try -25C and high humidity. No matter how you dress, that damp cold will get through everything and chill you to the bone. And sometimes it's not just the heat or the cold, it's the stupidity.
Totally agree. And we have high humidity here as well, so sometimes it's unbearable.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
All talk about humidity and environmental conditions aside. I would like to know what gauge strings are recommended for the guitars in question, and what gauge are you actually using.

Ed
One is a 1971 Martin 000-18 using 0.012 strings, which should be no problem.
The other is a Seagull S6 using 0.013 lately. Don't know what the maker recommends, but seeing how the guitar is made (bracing etc) it shouldn't be any problem (IMO).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair