The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Default A different Approach to Bracing.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to this wonderful lady luthier at January's 2019 NAMM show. A special area dedicated for Custom Guitar builders. Smaller booths lumped together in what is called "Boutique Guitar Showcase" area.
Unfortunately this area is located on the main floor, where it is too noisy to be able to fully hear the potential of each of the instruments. But really enjoyed talking to her and hearing what I could on her lovely guitars.
This is a new video by the North American guitars with her Custom Guitar company called Turnstone Guitars . At 16:12 to 21 minutes she talks about how she uses all kinds of different woods for Bracing. How using different species of hardwoods & softwoods for bracing can effect the tone.
I really appreciate it when Luthiers reach out and try new things. I love the concept of Her using hardwood bracing to shape the sound of the instrument. The concept of using different materials for bracing has been explored by other luthiers using laminated braces with carbon fiber. I am especially intrigued by her use of exotic hardwoods and Softwoods for Bracing. And I love the fact that she uses Yew for bracing and back and side woods. Of course, I am also a 50+ year veteran of Traditional archery. Longbow and wood arrows. Yew was the choice of the English Longbowman.

Our own AGF charter member Michael Watts, I believe was the first to interview her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=420Dlq4Qhe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ajLHgFubOk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZYOMffpChE
Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to this wonderful lady luthier at January's 2019 NAMM show. A special area dedicated for Custom Guitar builders. Smaller booths lumped together in what is called "Boutique Guitar Showcase" area.
Unfortunately this area is located on the main floor, where it is too noisy to be able to fully hear the potential of each of the instruments. But really enjoyed talking to her and hearing what I could on her lovely guitars.
This is a new video by the North American guitars with her Custom Guitar company called Turnstone Guitars . At 16:12 to 21 minutes she talks about how she uses all kinds of different woods for Bracing. How using different species of hardwoods & softwoods for bracing can effect the tone.
I really appreciate it when Luthiers reach out and try new things. I love the concept of Her using hardwood bracing to shape the sound of the instrument. The concept of using different materials for bracing has been explored by other luthiers using laminated braces with carbon fiber. I am especially intrigued by her use of exotic hardwoods and Softwoods for Bracing. And I love the fact that she uses Yew for bracing and back and side woods. Of course, I am also a 50+ year veteran of Traditional archery. Longbow and wood arrows. Yew was the choice of the English Longbowman.

Our own AGF charter member Michael Watts, I believe was the first to interview her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=420Dlq4Qhe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ajLHgFubOk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZYOMffpChE
I've embedded the videos.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
The first I heard of using different woods for bracing was in the late 1970's. Richard Schneider was using cedar, spruce and redwood, particularly for top bracing on his Kasha model guitars.

Since then, I've used mahogany, spruce, cedar and Spanish cedar for top and back braces. I find mahogany works well for me for back braces and I've found spruce to be best for top braces. (I use Spanish cedar for linings.) In my experience, cedar and redwood are not usually as stiff per weight and are more prone to splitting than spruce, which is a tougher wood.

Yew was commonly used by lute makers. The lute, in its day, was as popular, if not more popular, than the guitar is today. I've used yew to make lute bowls (backs). It's a nice, easy to work wood. It wouldn't be my choice for braces, however, where light, stiff, straight-grained, quarter sawn material is preferred.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

The videos are very interesting, but there are no sound clips or examples of how these wood or bracing choices actually affect the tone or sound of the guitars - Its a great theory, but I will have to hope to actually hear some examples someday -
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 AM

I enjoyed it immensely but some of her ideas are not considered best practice so Id have to hear the improvement they made in an actual guitar to be convinced.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 AM

Her name is Rosie Heydenrych.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Her name is Rosie Heydenrych.
I have met her at a guitar show in Berlin. She has some interesting ideas and makes some very fine instruments.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM

I'd love to play one.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM

I've had on my radar for some time building a Larson style guitar. Those were built with laminated Spruce - BRW - Spruce braces.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 AM

There are good choices and bad choices. What you look for is to minimise the weight and maximise the stiffness of braces.

The stiffness controls the vibrational modes of the guitar.

The weight affects the soundboard’s ability to vibrate, heavier braces lead to less vibration as the soundboard weighs more.

Most luthiers will measure the stiffness of their brace material, align the grain vertically to make the most of its strength and go from there.

Spruce fits the bill nicely, but it is far from the only choice of wood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair