The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Truss rod effect on tone?

So I sold my X20 and the buyer messaged me mentioning the truss rod was completely loose. he tightened it up and thought it felt better. I thought of a question: do you guys think tightening/loosening the truss rode would affect the tone of a CF guitar?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 PM

When I got my X20 back from Ireland the truss rod was completely loose, and it would rattle badly at certain frequencies. It took me a minute or two to figure out where it was coming from. Tightened it up a bit and it's great. So in my case, the truss rod certainly affected the tone. It might have affected it in a different way if it was slightly tighter but still somewhat loose, I don't know.

I wonder if Emerald's truss rods are prone to loosening during shipping. I'm guessing mine didn't leave the factory with a loose truss rod.

In any case, I can certainly see where your buyer was coming from.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

As I understand it, truss rods tend to affect action more tone. The higher the action the greater the tension on the strings, the greater the volume. I'm not sure about tone.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As I understand it, truss rods tend to affect action more tone. The higher the action the greater the tension on the strings, the greater the volume. I'm not sure about tone.

I don't know know if CF guitars have different considerations when it comes to truss rods, but I was under the impression that - as far as wood guitars go anyway - the increased mass that comes with heavier two-way truss rods, for example, yields a markedly different tone compared to vintage one-way truss rods.

When it comes to CF specifically, perhaps someone who has owned both N1 (no truss rod) and N2 (truss rod) necks for the exact same Rainsong model might be able to provide an apples to apples comparison on tone.

Among the CF manufacturers, I can only think of McPherson who still makes CF guitars without an adjustable truss rod (I don't know how Peavey makes CA guitars these days). I actually don't know if everyone would consider the Sable's a conventional truss rod or not, given that it's just a high-modulus CF rod instead of metal. I mean, we don't call most CF neck reinforcement rods truss rods, do we?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Interesting questions. I have owned a Rainsong JM3000(12 string no truss rod) and JM1000 (with truss) and could not really tell any difference even with very different tops. My JM100 has the unidirectional top and the JM3000 had the traditional weave top.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
could not really tell any difference even with very different tops. My JM100 has the unidirectional top and the JM3000 had the traditional weave top.

Are you saying that both of your Rainsongs sounded similar overall? Much had been made of the benefits of unidirectional CF tops so this surprises me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber