The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Doug is one of my favorite players...
Mine too. So clean, and good tunes!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
First, I want to agree whole-heartedly with Hans that discussing how a custom-built instrument differs from a factory-made one is at the very heart of this forum. Besides provoking the usual human frailties (lust, greed, envy, etc.) this kind of question also seems to inspire a lot of cross-purposed responses from well-intended folks on this forum. I see at least three questions bound up here and probably best teased apart.

First is whether top-shelf luthiers like James Olson consistently deliver instruments that perform at a higher or more refined level than typically less expensive factory or small production shops do or can. I think that is somewhat of an objective question, there's really no question that the answer to that is a Yes. Certainly there will be outliers, but the answer is Yes.

By contrast, whether that extra increment is worth the additional cost builders of that echelon can command feels entirely subjective, and depends on one's financial resources, outlook, and aspirations. Some musicians will play a single passage for days to get the sound exactly right to their ears, maybe something no one listening can easily detect, so it is not surprising if they seek the same kind of perfection in their guitars.

Then there is a question of whether James Olson's guitars are the right one for a particular buyer. I've only played a couple, and while they were definitely not my thing, they were astounding instruments--lush, balanced, etc., and he just wrung an incredible amount of sound out of his materials. My sense is (and Olson owners can correct me here) is he focuses on small jumbos and a particular kind of sound, whereas other builders might be more eclectic/experimental.

Finally there is a related question of value/price, etc. Most luthiers on this site know how important a high-profile endorsement from a top guitar player can be and how it can increase their build list and price point. James Taylor's association has surely been a great thing for Olson, and one could say a lot of the full value of his guitars is now "priced in." His build list was closed for quite a few years and his prices took a leap or several. All good. There are other great luthiers without that type of event or public recognition yet priced in.

In sum, Olson produces superlative instruments, not for everyone, but they hit a sweet spot for a certain clientele that leaves their owners in a kind of heaven.
--Richard

I wonder if Richard's other 23 posts since Nov. of 2010 are as meaningful as this one.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

If a certain guitar (whether it be an Olson, or a Martin, or Taylor, or a ladder braced How, etc) has the sound, playability, and other features
you like that you cannot get elsewhere at a lower price then I suppose it is "worth it" if you can afford it. Guitars have different sounds and
characteristics, and players have different tastes regarding these things. One should not make an a priori, unqualified, statement about
a person's level or sophisitication, musical taste, or otherwise, based that person's preference in guitars.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM

I'm sure Olson owners have tons of different reasons for owning one of Jim's instruments. Early adopters like Larry J probably weren't motivated by the same reasons as late coming pseudo collectors like me.

Personally, I love the sound of my Olson SJ. But I also love the sound of my Martin, my Kraut, and a bunch of others. The fit and finish are impeccable of course -- but so is my Taylor. The magic is more than that.

I decided to spend a good chunk of my savings on an SJ because in 50 years from now, people will still be talking about Jim. To me, that's where the magic is. Hopefully, I will live long enough to enjoy that moment.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Olson Acoustics ... worth the money?

Simply said, and well put, Mau.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM

There have been some well thought out comments here. In building his business, there is a balance between what Jim charges and what people are willing to pay. Who needs $500 salt/pepper shakers (are they "worth" it)?

Collectability and investment are part of the reasons.

This is America and like it or not, Jim is capitalizing on his gift.

Maybe a better question is - would you buy it if it was half the price? (depends on the sound you want).

Point is, for everyone buying one, the price is not the concern, but it is for everyone that can't have it/afford it - price is the reason.

my 1 cent...

Kevin.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM

...to me...yes...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
...to me...yes...
Love the sig. file, as well, Bill...

Quote:
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. Warren Buffett
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM

You have heard them on YouTube so u know what they sound like?

I think any recording of any guitar tells u very little about how the guitar actually sounds.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Yea, thats a good video. I've watched that one a lot. I'm not saying it sounds bad at all, but I dont think it sounds any better than a lot of guitars for less than half.. I just cant hear how that guitar should cost 4 times as much as this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmkPhKdjQ-Q

I'm sure that Traugott is Brazilian too which would obviously cost a lot more, and the fact it is a one man shop.
Go play one or two. Then decide for yourself. Until u gave u do not know what a Traugott, or any other guitar, sounds like. It is difficult to make a judgement about the quality of a guitar from a YouTube.

Under any circumstances.

Period.
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

Last edited by RP; 04-14-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Go play one or two. Then decide for yourself. Until u gave u do not know what a Traugott, or any other guitar, sounds like. It is simply completely inadequate for you to make a judgement about the quality of a guitar from a YouTube.

Under any circumstances.

Period.
Oh I agree and I'm not knocking Traugotts. I stated that I love his guitar designs, and if I were rich I would have one. I wish I did live where I had access to a lot of great guitars but I don't. Unfortunately, videos is all a lot of us have and a lot of dealers understand this or they wouldn't put up video's, Mp3's. And I am a firm believer in, try before you buy.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM

I haven't had the pleasure to play an Olson. It seems that Olson discussions always revolve about the Olson tone. But, what about the playability, neck design, etc.?
Sometimes, I played a guitar which sounded heavenly, but for me it just wasn't the right the fit.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

The reason Olsons are 12,500 to start is us...the guitar buying public.

People were buying Olsons and selling them for twice what they paid for them.

Jim had to raise prices to prevent people from scalping his own guitars on the used market.

Jim had very reasonable prices for 20 plus years....and then the big increase from about $5000 to 12,500 about 6-7 years ago.

It seems like custom guitars are getting more and more expensive. Lots of luthiers are raising prices to 7-8-9000 base price. And they haven't been building guitars for 35 years like Jim. Some of those folks just got out Lutherie school 6-7 years ago.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Go play one or two. Then decide for yourself. Until u gave u do not know what a Traugott, or any other guitar, sounds like. It is simply completely inadequate for you to make a judgement about the quality of a guitar from a YouTube.

Under any circumstances.

Period.
Oh I agree and I'm not knocking Traugotts. I stated that I love his guitar designs, and if I were rich I would have one. I wish I did live where I had access to a lot of great guitars but I don't. Unfortunately, videos is all a lot of us have and a lot of dealers understand this or they wouldn't put up video's, Mp3's. And I am a firm believer in, try before you buy.
Try before you judge would be a good rule too. Traugotts are fabulously expensive. They have been for 15 y. The reason has to with quality of tone. Not pretty woods. Not rich people buying luxury items. They are outstanding guitars on a scale which is incomparable to manufactured guitars if any sort. As are Olsons. I've played several of each for an extended period. I won't buy one but I understand and respect those that do.
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
The reason Olsons are 12,500 to start is us...the guitar buying public.

People were buying Olsons and selling them for twice what they paid for them.

Jim had to raise prices to prevent people from scalping his own guitars on the used market.

Jim had very reasonable prices for 20 plus years....and then the big increase from about $5000 to 12,500 about 6-7 years ago.

It seems like custom guitars are getting more and more expensive. Lots of luthiers are raising prices to 7-8-9000 base price. And they haven't been building guitars for 35 years like Jim. Some of those folks just got out Lutherie school 6-7 years ago.
So are houses and cars and wine and eyeglasses getting more expensive.

25 y ago the classical guitar everyone wanted was Ramirez. They sold for about $2k and thru were the top exclusive guitar. That category now starts at$5k and goes easily to $15-20k. Not bc resale value. Bc the quality is such that people are willing to pay.

High end guitars are expensive bc they r made in limited quantity be skilled craftsmen whom oddly barely eel out a living.
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop