The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post

Brett, what's that written on the near the lower bout? Looks like a paragraph!
I noticed that immediately, too. The photos aren't quite high-res enough for me to make it out. (Believe me, I tried in Photoshop!) I did set a reminder on my phone for something like 2 months to remind me to look inside the guitar!

I imagine it's something Jeff does for fun... very cool. I can make out his signature, my name, the model number, and a little bit of the writing. I may post the message once I make it all out, but I may keep it for myself.

Nice catch though... and by the way, really nice playing.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
I noticed that immediately, too. The photos aren't quite high-res enough for me to make it out. (Believe me, I tried in Photoshop!) I did set a reminder on my phone for something like 2 months to remind me to look inside the guitar!

I imagine it's something Jeff does for fun... very cool. I can make out his signature, my name, the model number, and a little bit of the writing. I may post the message once I make it all out, but I may keep it for myself.

Nice catch though... and by the way, really nice playing.

-B
Really cool, Brett. Depending on what it says, I vote keeping it to yourself. I like the potential "for your eyes only" aspect of it all. Thanks so much for the compliment!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
... and by the way, really nice playing.
USB, just realised you are "crunkykong" (do any of us have real names?!).

I've come across you before on YouTube: You need to upload more often because YOU RULE!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM

looks like a players guitar - straight to the point, lets get on with the business,
from a novice builders point of view I particularly appreciate seeing the bracing - deceptively simple.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM

The wood has become a box. A momentous time in the life of a guitar:

And the back... I know I keep saying this, but these woods just give me goosebumps. Still can't believe this one is mine...

Finally, this outrageous back under "simulated finish":

Jeff has been a dream to work with. Fun, direct, and always has time for me. There's nothing that makes you feel like, "Well, this guy really thinks his time is worth XXX more than anyone else's." Fantastic guy.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Default A Traugott "R" is "THE ONE"

Brett....I've purchased several top luthier guitars in the last few years and the only one that I think was worth EVERY DOLLAR or what I initially thought was a high price, is the Traugott "R" in BRW and German Spruce.. It also HOLDS it's value better than most other guitars.

In a word, it is spectacular....If I never purchase another guitar, this one will be enough to keep me satisfied.....

There are other great guitars out there....Although I don't like to over-use words like amazing and fantastic.....THIS one is truly FANTASTIC.....It is the one I really always WANT to pick up and play and the one that I compare all others to....

You've made a great choice.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I keep meaning to ask Jeff about this weird floating brace thing. I'm very curious.

HI Bret,
Did you ever find out about the floating brace used on Jeff's backs? My guess is it adds some additional mass to lower the frequency of the back mode and also serves to couple all of the braces together. Thanks for sharing your build with us. I find it interesting to view how other builders approach it because there are lots of individual paths to arrive at the finish.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I have wondered about that long back brace as well. In my head I imagine it would help tune the back once the box is closed. Going in and shaving braces helps with the cross stiffness but it can be hard to lower the pitch too much without also affecting the long grain stiffness and I am only so willing to grind away at the outside of the back plate.

It is always interesting to see people's bracing as well. I like the wide finger braces.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
I have wondered about that long back brace as well. In my head I imagine it would help tune the back once the box is closed. Going in and shaving braces helps with the cross stiffness but it can be hard to lower the pitch too much without also affecting the long grain stiffness and I am only so willing to grind away at the outside of the back plate.

It is always interesting to see people's bracing as well. I like the wide finger braces.
I can't say for sure but a Carter/Poulsen build that was just on here used the same brace and they thought that it helped keep the neck from needing to be reset over the long term. I guess their theory is that the back actually strecthes over time...I feel that maybe it doesn't actually stretch, but as the guitar settles perhaps the arch of the back flattens out under the torque on the neck block/heel, which would in turn elongate the back of the guitar from tail to neck and cause a shift in back/side/top geometry and throw the neck angle off...perhaps. It actually makes sense, I'm glad we talked this out.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaD4 View Post
I've purchased several top luthier guitars in the last few years and the only one that I think was worth EVERY DOLLAR or what I initially thought was a high price, is the Traugott "R" in BRW and German Spruce.
I have Traugott R, which I bought before the economic downturn; BRW and German spruce, Mr Traugott's "specialite de la maison".

It is a fabulous, fabulous instrument. It's a real VOG guitar (voice-of-god, as I've heard some guitars referred to) and there is nothing to criticize about how it sounds or its build quality. It is super, super responsive. Unbelievably thick trebles and dry, clear, deep, articulate bass. Fabulously detailed mids. It's very easy to play (although I would prefer a wide neck - I'm a 46mm+ man), and easy to grapple with because it's relatively small.

I have only one issue with it but it's a big one; the cost. To be quite frank, the only reason I've gone looking for other guitars since getting the Traugott is that I find it real difficult to forget how much it cost me, especially now there's a downturn and my circumstances are not the same as a few years ago. I keep thinking of selling it, but I just can't let it go because it's such a good guitar.

However, if you can afford one, I have no doubt you'l be getting the very best that's out there at the moment. I still haven't found a better guitar that costs less. Some that are just as good? - yes, probably. Better? - definitely not. Better value-for-money? - that is entirely down to your personal circumstances and where your VFM calibration lies; I think more than 20k on a car is a total waste but I'm flexible on guitars!

Oh how I wish I'd known Mr Traugott when his base was 5k...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
I have wondered about that long back brace as well.
I seem to remember Jeff calls that his "tone bar" but I might be wrong. I have no idea what it does but it started appearing on his guitars in the mid 2000s.

It would be great if Brett could give an opinion on it's purpose via "the horses' mouth" so to speak.

cheers,
Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Quoted from the build thread Carter/Poulsen J-Model (Lefty)-

"Carter-Poulsen guitars use an interesting back cross brace that was inspired by Jeff Traugott, one of the builders whom Willie spent time with as he learned the craft.

Willie also spent eight years as a manager at Gryphon Stringed Instruments and had the opportunity to closely examine countless new and vintage instruments, and he observed that vintage Martins and Gibsons tend to be lighter in construction, but are not always loud.

When he worked with Frank Ford, he learned that the neck angle changes as the back collapses; where most people focus on the top bracing to stabilize the neck, he believes that it's a combination of the top and the back. Instead of building with a thicker back, Carter-Poulsen has chosen to use lighter construction but add structural integrity with a cross brace, so the back is thinner than most but more rigid at the same time due to the cross brace."

Here's the brace being installed:

It could very well be a tone bar of sorts...but this is what they have to say about it and have worked with Jeff.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful build so far, Brett. I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with it. I have yet to play a Traugott but I have heard great things from everyone I have ever asked about them. I'm enjoying this thread.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 AM

I agree, I love looking inside other shops to see how they solve the same challenges in different ways... never know when it's time to build a new jig! It's equally interesting when the same process is used. I came up with many of mine in my reclusive shop years ago (70's) and I always find it amazing when I see that some of it's almost common knowledge taught in the "School of Lutherie" these days...

I find the use of the spruce reinforcement in place of typical fan braces for the bridge tips interesting...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
HI Bret,
Did you ever find out about the floating brace used on Jeff's backs? My guess is it adds some additional mass to lower the frequency of the back mode and also serves to couple all of the braces together. Thanks for sharing your build with us. I find it interesting to view how other builders approach it because there are lots of individual paths to arrive at the finish.
I'm working on getting the man himself to comment on this... more hopefully today.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop