The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Default tuning pegs replacement

I started a project on an old Alvarez RD-10 - scratch and dent special, filthy (especially the fretboard), missing strings and several pins. This will be a camp/beach beater for me. The tuning pegs are all loose and wobbly hence the desire to replace them. As you can see, the back of the headstock has several small screw holes where someone tried to reposition and tighten the tuning pegs. I will fill these in and start from there. I am not too concerned about the cosmetics but I would like to utilize the existing hole size if that's possible. Without calipers I tried matching up drill bits; the hole size is approximately 25/64" and the peg is 15/64".

What would be my best option, cheapest direct replacement or step up a level? Given the condition of the tuning pegs I took off, I'm leaning towards an upgrade but I don't want to spend too much on this. Open gears or enclosed, round or rectangular, what do you recommend?

Next up, I might want to try a saddle and nut. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM

I contacted Alvarez, the guitar is over 12 years old and they can send replacement tuning pegs for $40.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Default an opinion

I think this guitar would be very happy with a mailorder set of tuners from one of the thousands of vendors on Ebay, ten bucks or so. Not to be feared, I've used several sets bought for learning-to-build projects and they've worked just fine. I for-sure would not be spending the price of a set of branded Gotoh tuners on a manufacturer's overpriced replacement parts. Fill the screw holes, make new ones where they're needed, and proceed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair