The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Help Deciding on 3rd final CF Guitar.

I have decided to go all CF for guitars. I live on a boat. Wood guitars are proving to be too difficult to provide the proper humidity and temps.

I have a CS Legacy Dread that I like very much.
I just acquired a Journey OF660, also like very much.

So, i am looking for suggestions for something in between these body sizes to round out the trio. 3 is all I can handle.

What should I be looking at? and why? I have a shop nearby that stocks Composite Accoustics and Rainsong .

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Have you considered the emerald x20?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG View Post
Have you considered the emerald x20?
Yes I have. But would this be too close to my CA legacy? I was just looking on line looking at Rainsong concert om hybrid as a possible in between?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 PM

"3rd final CF Guitar."

Ha....good one!!

So this is the third time looking for a final guitar?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM

X20 has an overall dimensional footprint roughly the same as a GA, but it feels noticeably smaller than my Taylor GA's. Journey is essentially an 0 size, maybe a bit closer to a 00 size. My new-to-me X20 has become my new favorite guitar with a mellow, warm voice compared to the Rainsong WS-1000 and Lucky 13. And comfort unlike any other guitar this size given those bevels and contours.

In the CA line, the Ox is OM size, and Gx is GA sized. Rainsong makes an OM and a PA size, but PA will probably be pretty close to your Journey. Blackbird Savoy or Lucky 13 (now out of production) would be a good middle ground, and Savoy would get you into ekoa for a different "woodier" sound.

But I would back up a step. With a CA dread and a Journey in hand, how badly do you really need a third composite guitar? [Please folks - put away the torches and pitchforks]. Just what do you want it to accomplish that your existing fleet does not? In other words, what mission or purpose are you trying to achieve? BTW, I don't live on a boat, but I'm also actively heading for all-CF.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
"3rd final CF Guitar."

Ha....good one!!

So this is the third time looking for a final guitar?
I know,sad isn't it .
Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
X20 has an overall dimensional footprint roughly the same as a GA, but it feels noticeably smaller than my Taylor GA's. Journey is essentially an 0 size, maybe a bit closer to a 00 size. My new-to-me X20 has become my new favorite guitar with a mellow, warm voice compared to the Rainsong WS-1000 and Lucky 13. And comfort unlike any other guitar this size given those bevels and contours.

In the CA line, the Ox is OM size, and Gx is GA sized. Rainsong makes an OM and a PA size, but PA will probably be pretty close to your Journey. Blackbird Savoy or Lucky 13 (now out of production) would be a good middle ground, and Savoy would get you into ekoa for a different "woodier" sound.

But I would back up a step. With a CA dread and a Journey in hand, how badly do you really need a third composite guitar? [Please folks - put away the torches and pitchforks]. Just what do you want it to accomplish that your existing fleet does not? In other words, what mission or purpose are you trying to achieve? BTW, I don't live on a boat, but I'm also actively heading for all-CF.
I think the Legacy Dread is a good replacement for the D16H , and the journey is just what I wanted for a comfortable "couch" guitar. I really like the 000-18 size and scale, so I was hoping to find a c.f. equivalent?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 PM

Probably the closest CF equivalent to a 000-18 would be a CH-OM Rainsong. The hybrid unidirectional top would be the warmest and woodiest sounding, and the body size pretty comparable, with a traditional 000 shape. The CH-WS would be deeper, more like your dread (or even a bit deeper). Second choice would be a CA Ox, which are also reputed to sound more like wood guitars and are 000/OM size. You probably knew that, with a CA dreadnought already.

From Blackbird, you could get into El Capitan which is a small jumbo, pretty comparable in size, feel, and tone to a Taylor GA. But 25.5" is standard, so you might have to special order the shorter 24.75" scale, if that is even possible. Since you are looking to replace a 000-18 then I assume that a shorter scale like 24.75" is your preference. Or go with a 00 sized Lucky 13 -- if you can find one still in stock somewhere. Blackbird stopped taking orders for CF guitars last December, opting to specialize in ekoa. They have not [yet] come out with a comparable replacement ekoa model sized between El Capitan and Savoy.

I should also mention the Emerald X20, or the X7 if you want to go smaller still and down to 24" scale. Both are wonderful guitars and quite comfortable to play. I now own X20 Artisan in both six string and short-scale twelve string, and (shhh....) an X7 Artisan is actually in transit right now.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Probably the closest CF equivalent to a 000-18 would be a CH-OM Rainsong. The hybrid unidirectional top would be the warmest and woodiest sounding, and the body size pretty comparable, with a traditional 000 shape. The CH-WS would be deeper, more like your dread (or even a bit deeper). Second choice would be a CA Ox, which are also reputed to sound more like wood guitars and are 000/OM size. You probably knew that, with a CA dreadnought already.

From Blackbird, you could get into El Capitan which is a small jumbo, pretty comparable in size, feel, and tone to a Taylor GA. But 25.5" is standard, so you might have to special order the shorter 24.75" scale, if that is even possible. Since you are looking to replace a 000-18 then I assume that a shorter scale like 24.75" is your preference. Or go with a 00 sized Lucky 13 -- if you can find one still in stock somewhere. Blackbird stopped taking orders for CF guitars last December, opting to specialize in ekoa. They have not [yet] come out with a comparable replacement ekoa model sized between El Capitan and Savoy.

I should also mention the Emerald X20, or the X7 if you want to go smaller still and down to 24" scale. Both are wonderful guitars and quite comfortable to play. I now own X20 Artisan in both six string and short-scale twelve string, and (shhh....) an X7 Artisan is actually in transit right now.
Earl...you sneaky devil, you. New or new to you?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:33 PM

I knew someone would catch that slip. It's new, but I don't want to jinx the delivery by revealing any more right now. Until I have a bird in the hand......

I got tracking info from Sean this morning, but it still doesn't show up in the AnPost system. All will be revealed in good time with a NGD post.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I knew someone would catch that slip. It's new, but I don't want to jinx the delivery by revealing any more right now. Until I have a bird in the hand......

I got tracking info from Sean this morning, but it still doesn't show up in the AnPost system. All will be revealed in good time with a NGD post.
Trifecta! Attaboy!!! Gee, I wonder if it’ll be green?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

Good on You! I look forward to future reports.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Great to have so many choices.! I can play the Rainsong and the Ox this weekend. Everyone seems to speak highly of their Emerald guitars as well as Blackbird. Hard to buy without trying though.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM

For a 000 or OM size, the Rainsong OM is a great contender. Feels really good in your hands, the perfect size for smaller spaces, and still gives you good balance and bass response. I have a Shorty, which is the OM size, and it's my favorite couch guitar bar none. The WS size, which I also have, is relatively close to a dread in overall size, and the PA is a true parlor, closer to a 0- or 00- in size.

Hopefully the store you are visiting will have a CH-OM1000N2, which is probably the guitar I am currently GASing over. I'd almost trade my Shorty for one!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I'd almost trade my Shorty for one!
With all you said...Why?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber