The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

I wasn’t in Ken’s music room when this whole scenario took place, because I was back in the house engaged in conversation with Ken’s better half, Eilene. By the time that I made my way out there, the gifting had already taken place. Steve handed me the guitar and asked what I thought of it. He had this odd look on his face, and I interpreted the question, and the accompanying odd look, to mean that I was supposed to see something odd or out of the ordinary... As I was looking/playing, Steve said, “Ken just gifted this guitar to me.”
Ken had been listening to Steve play his amazing compositions, and decided that it simply wasn’t acceptable for a man who enriched people's lives by building fabulous guitars for them...to not own a guitar of his own...especially with the artistry of composition that Steve is blessed with. So Ken decided to resolve the problem, as he saw it, and ensure that Steve would always have an instrument to compose upon.

Wonderful stuff

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 04-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Thank you for sharing this enlightening story of how these little wooden boxes build bridges between souls.
What a fine statement. That, in a sentence, expresses the joy of lutherie.
Thanks for that!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default A fine story....but

An absolute great story, but seriously...no sound clip?

Another example of music bringing good people together!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
This is a very fun and interesting tale.
Thanks for posting.

Having played just one Edwinson, (in Olympia WA incidentally with the original owner of that superb instrument) the experience still haunts my memory as it was sooo rich.

And having owned a Webber subsequently ... uh, why did I let that sweet little 00 go? ... I find it interesting that a Webber would be offered as a player to someone who has an ear and eye for such a high level of guitar craftsmanship.

It makes perfect sense as the Webber can certainly run in your circles without asking permission.
The Webber fit and finish are impeccable, and the wood paring on this one would offer an interesting tonal texture.

Thank you for sharing this enlightening story of how these little wooden boxes build bridges between souls.
I'd be curious to know which Edwinson you played in Olympia. Would it by any chance be owned by Jeff Borden? Thanks for your kind comments!

While I was playing the Webber last evening, I texted Ken and told him how REFRESHING it is to play this guitar. For the last several years, I've had no point of reference on other guitars- just my own, and Joel's. We're kind of working in a vacuum here, as there are no other luthiers that we know of within a considerable distance. Playing the Webber is so much fun, because it sounds great and feels great, but it's nothing like my own guitars. I reminds me of how much fun I used to have, going to Dusty Strings in Seattle every Saturday, ostensibly to buy a set of strings, but actually to try out any of dozens of high-end guitars (including Webbers) that they had in the shop.

And we ALL know, every guitar has its own vibe and character, and each one can inspire you in different ways.
Like I said, Ken is sly like a fox.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
What a fine statement. That, in a sentence, expresses the joy of lutherie.
Thanks for that!

Steve
What Steve said!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Smile Hooray!

What a Lovley story! And what a cool axe. Now set up to perfection!!!

Btw, your preferred action will be perfect for slide, so get busy. Open D is both the simplest and best sounding for slide to my ears...

If I was to have another Webber this instrument has everything I would want, especially your setup!

Good for you! Enjoy it and play lots!!!

So happy for you

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-05-2019, 02:11 PM

" I'd be curious to know which Edwinson you played in Olympia. Would it by any chance be owned by Jeff Borden? "

Maybe... it was awhile back, maybe 10-12 years ago or so.
I met with the guy to share and show guitars we were proud of, and he of course brought his Edwinson.
We spoke of but did not stay in touch.
I believe you were still in the Seattle area at the time.

He was a calm cool guy, and VERY proud of his Edwinson.
Myself, having been a Martin guy since forever, enjoyed my first exposure to the next level of guitar building.
The fullness of tone, the big response to the slightest touch, the overall dynamics, the detail of the fit and finish....

I had never seen or heard such a guitar.
And although this is not the focus of this thread, I trust my taking this opportunity to acknowledge your talent will be allowed.

Again, thank you for sharing this heartfull tale.. what a truly wonderful testament of friendship this is.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:59 PM

What a wonderful thing to happen, Steve - I'm sorry I missed seeing Ken in the act of picking up his new Edwinson; I heard it was a very special moment for the two of you. And now this story! That weekend just keeps getting better and better! Play the wheels off that thing, with constant gratitude: only good things can come from such gracious generosity.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
What a wonderful thing to happen, Steve - I'm sorry I missed seeing Ken in the act of picking up his new Edwinson; I heard it was a very special moment for the two of you. And now this story! That weekend just keeps getting better and better! Play the wheels off that thing, with constant gratitude: only good things can come from such gracious generosity.
So true, Stan. One of the good things that I hope will come from this is that I will get back to playing at the level I was at in my heyday, in the mid to late 90s. I actually used to have some mad chops in those days.
Another thing is, Ken's generosity inspires me to try to be a better person, so I will be at least somewhat worthy of his generosity and friendship.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
" I'd be curious to know which Edwinson you played in Olympia. Would it by any chance be owned by Jeff Borden? "

Maybe... it was awhile back, maybe 10-12 years ago or so.
I met with the guy to share and show guitars we were proud of, and he of course brought his Edwinson.
We spoke of but did not stay in touch.
I believe you were still in the Seattle area at the time.

He was a calm cool guy, and VERY proud of his Edwinson.
Myself, having been a Martin guy since forever, enjoyed my first exposure to the next level of guitar building.
The fullness of tone, the big response to the slightest touch, the overall dynamics, the detail of the fit and finish....

I had never seen or heard such a guitar.
And although this is not the focus of this thread, I trust my taking this opportunity to acknowledge your talent will be allowed.

Again, thank you for sharing this heartfull tale.. what a truly wonderful testament of friendship this is.
Woodbox, you really made my day. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2019, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

That's a fine-looking guitar, Steve! Cedar and Maple are a great combination, I'm sure. Enjoy it!

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Nothin like guitar buds! Really special story. Ken is very kind. It was great to see him at BIG.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And having owned a Webber subsequently ... uh, why did I let that sweet little 00 go?
Tim, you were kind enough to sell it to me. You were a bit reluctant to let it go, and for good reason! I thoroughly enjoyed playing and owning it...

OP's post and story is awesome. Guitar friendships are a special thing!
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Humanist

Great story...two really great guys.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 PM

It seems immodest to me to respond on this thread. However thanks to the many who have posted their approval.

I have many guitars; perhaps more than I have true friends. It truly hurts my heart when a lover of the guitar, as Steve is, does not have one. This is a situation that I could rectify. I’m fortunate to be able to do so.

Many of the luthiers that participate on this forum are artists, and unfortunately, too many are starving artists. I urge those of you with the financial means to do so to adopt a luthier or two so that they may continue to supply the need that so many of us are compelled to fulfill.

I count myself lucky to be able to play Steve’s guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop