The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2021, 10:16 AM

Question Rainsong Vintage Series????

Hi Everyone,

I was killing some time yesterday before going to the ballpark and stopped in my favorite local music shop (Union Music) here in Worcester, MA. Great place and people!!!

I played both the Parlor Vintage and Jumbo Nashville (sunburst) and was very impressed. I have owned in the past both of these guitars in just carbon form but these both seem to be different. They sound a bit warmer and particularly the parlor did not sound boxy when you dig in with a pick.

I was very impressed with the fit and finish but even more impressed with the warmth of the sound.

Are there any owners of Vintage Series out there that have found the same thing? Does the spruce-infused top make a difference to your ears or is it a case of sight of ears :-)? I have owned a P-12 before in both nylon and steel and moved them along as they projected well but did not have the warmth I like. The Vintage P-12 seems to sound different. I know from personal experience and talks with Alistair that Emerald guitar veneers are cosmetic only. Is Rainsong's approach different?

I am stopping by next week with my McPherson Touring next week to do a sound comparison. My touring is my benchmark these days.

Any thoughts out there.... or am I just GASing for a new guitar now that I have thinned the herd down to just one guitar.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

An AGF member previously explained that the extra spruce layer thickens the top a bit which accounts for the warmer tone. I previously owned a number of unsprucified Rainsongs, and the new ones, Vintage and Nashville, definitely have warmer tones. However, I'd say the same for my CO models over the previous Studio, Hybrid and CH models that I previously owned. This V-DR1100N2 on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/40376459-rainsong-dr1100n2 has a pretty decent price tag and is advertised as being in mint condition....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 AM

I'm so glad you are mentioning this as I personally think RainSong is onto something here. The layup is different in at least one way- RainSong is using a unidirectional top under the spruce. It is the same wood grain mimicking top used in the Concert Series, the Al Petteway models, the Shorty and the P12 and P14. What I don't know is how thick the spruce top in the Vintage Series is in comparison to the veneer of the Emeralds. in other words, if we were putting this into the form of a question, "Do we even call the new spruce RainSong tops a veneer, or is it also a factor in considering tonal impact of the top?".

I have not played one of these vintage series guitars. While I know that videos are not a great gauge of how to judge a guitar, they sound amazing on video- especially with headphones and where the content creator uses quality recording gear- like Dream Guitars. The new parlor sounds amazing!

Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...if we were putting this into the form of a question, "Do we even call the new spruce RainSong tops a veneer, or is it also a factor in considering tonal impact of the top?".
Yes, definitely.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2021, 12:16 PM

Spot on! …. This is the question at hand! Is the Rainsong Vintage just a veneer or contributing to form a new type of soundboard with new sonic possibilities?

IMHO if it is just cosmetic… not worth the additional cost. Just they do look great and if you close your eyes it would be hard pressed to say it’s not traditional wood construction. I get the same warmth with my McPherson Touring.

Will test the P12 this week sometime.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:36 PM

I think with respect to Rainsong, the spruce looks nice and dampens some of the high frequency sound. So, it does dual duty. But, my guess is that they did it 80% for looks and 20% for sound.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:50 PM

Amazingly full sound for a parlor!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-09-2021, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm really looking forward to your comparison between the Touring and the RS Parlor. The RS is about $1,000 more, so should be interesting. Thanks !
Old 05-09-2021, 04:20 PM

I have a V-OM -- most satisfying (and expensive!) "bought w/o playing first" purchase I've made. Comparison videos vs Martin OM convinced me. Looks a big factor. Sounds better to me than my CH-WS. Perfect size for me and only 4 pounds!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I had a very recent discussion about the Vintage Rainsong with Ted from LA Guitars, who is an expert on the subject and he did say that the spruce infused tops do add a bit of warmth to the tone.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

FACT: The SFT Rainsongs cost more than their non-V/N counterparts.

OPINION: The SFT tops change/improve the tone of Rainsong guitars.

OPINION: The extra $$ for SFT-topped Rainsongs is worth it...

#1 is inarguable. Whether these tops change the tone or improve the tone is subjective. Whether any difference in tone and/or appearance is worth the extra cost is extremely subjective. As in anything, there are those of us who are willing to pay the extra cost for the wood infused tops, and there are those who wouldn't for whatever reason(s). The extra $$ are worth it to some, be it for tone and/or cosmetics; and not worth it to others. And let's face it, that's pretty much the way it is regardless of whether we're talking about factory vs. boutique, lower end vs. higher end or US vs imported guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-09-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
An AGF member previously explained that the extra spruce layer thickens the top a bit which accounts for the warmer tone. I previously owned a number of unsprucified Rainsongs, and the new ones, Vintage and Nashville, definitely have warmer tones. However, I'd say the same for my CO models over the previous Studio, Hybrid and CH models that I previously owned. This V-DR1100N2 on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/40376459-rainsong-dr1100n2 has a pretty decent price tag and is advertised as being in mint condition....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
FACT: The RFT Rainsongs cost more than their non-V/N counterparts.

OPINION: The RFT tops change/improve the tone of Rainsong guitars.

OPINION: The extra $$ for RFT-topped Rainsongs is worth it...

#1 is inarguable. Whether these tops change the tone or improve the tone is subjective. Whether any difference in tone and/or appearance is worth the extra cost is extremely subjective. As in anything, there are those of us who are willing to pay the extra cost for the wood infused tops, and there are those who wouldn't for whatever reason(s). The extra $$ are worth it to some, be it for tone and/or cosmetics; and not worth it to others. And let's face it, that's pretty much the way it is regardless of whether we're talking about factory vs. boutique, lower end vs. higher end or US vs imported guitars...
What does "RFT" mean?
Old 05-09-2021, 06:37 PM

Interesting thread.

Also worth mentioning is that the backs and sides of the Shorty, the entire Concert Hybrid series, the P12, the P14 are all made with both carbon and fiberglass weaves. To my ear this imparts a prominent mid-forward tone compared to the full carbon RainSongs. The latter have more volume and less "honky" and plasticky sounding mids than do the former. The Vintage Series are both full carbon and have the wooden top, so it is kind of pointless and unfair to compare the Vintage Series any of the aforementioned guitars, even the Al Petteway models.

I've been a follower long enough to know what they do differently than other builders and why it makes their guitars sound different (we also must consider RainSong's proprietary Projection Tuned Layering as well). I understand that whether I like that tone better or not is subjective, but I do pay close attention to full CF construction just like I would to understand the differences between body size, bracing, mahogany, rosewood, and maple.

BTW, RainSong is really upping their game too. Every time I check they have something new on the market without changing their base business model too much. Now they offer customization too! Check out this Nashville Vintage Series Dread with.....binding

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-09-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does "RFT" mean?
Oops. Should read SFT, the abbreviation for Rainsong’s spruce top process...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Interesting thread.

Also worth mentioning is that the backs and sides of the Shorty, the entire Concert Hybrid series, the P12, the P14 are all made with both carbon and fiberglass weaves. To my ear this imparts a prominent mid-forward tone compared to the full carbon RainSongs. The latter have more volume and less "honky" and plasticky sounding mids than do the former. The Vintage Series are both full carbon and have the wooden top, so it is kind of pointless and unfair to compare the Vintage Series any of the aforementioned guitars, even the Al Petteway models.

I've been a follower long enough to know what they do differently than other builders and why it makes their guitars sound different (we also must consider RainSong's proprietary Projection Tuned Layering as well). I understand that whether I like that tone better or not is subjective, but I do pay close attention to full CF construction just like I would to understand the differences between body size, bracing, mahogany, rosewood, and maple.

BTW, RainSong is really upping their game too. Every time I check they have something new on the market without changing their base business model too much. Now they offer customization too! Check out this Nashville Vintage Series Dread with.....binding

[IMG][/IMG]
That looks great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber