The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 PM

Default Avian inquiry

Narrowing the search steadily and what I've learned thus far is leading me toward lightweight mahogany/sitka in a modern-leaning 0000/auditorium style and size. For those who've played, I'd love thoughts on the Avian neck geometry and feel. My preferences are toward the Taylor/Goodall/Furch clean C, and I'm guessing it would be in this camp.

Found a couple killer deals on rosewood guitars but they've really served to confirm my wood bias. If you're in the Atlanta area, the Fayetteville Guitar Center has a GS8 marked down (perfect body dimensions for me, I think), and Alpharetta has an absurdly priced Breedlove Premier Auditorium that had me thinking long and hard about whether I could influence the sound enough with string selection to be happy. I'll vouch for both being worth a quick trip and for the Fayetteville store (first time since it's well on the south side) feeling uncommonly friendly for a GC. Without being super weird about it, most of them have the typical low-grade retail anxiety permeating. Not so here. Interesting.

Also played a 516 at Maple Street that would be the target if I had a little more capital. Utterly lovely, and maybe still worth the stretch.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 PM

I think Avian is out of business.

That said, if you can find an Avian for sale and to answer you. I think Avian neck is a little fatter and more of a "C" than the back of a Taylor neck, which feels thinner and a little flatter.

This is based on my Avian Skylark and Taylor Leo Kottke. Can't help you on the other makes.

Good luck finding an Avian, they are awfully good guitars and when I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago, an absolute steal.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 04-16-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
Narrowing the search steadily and what I've learned thus far is leading me toward lightweight mahogany/sitka in a modern-leaning 0000/auditorium style and size. For those who've played, I'd love thoughts on the Avian neck geometry and feel. My preferences are toward the Taylor/Goodall/Furch clean C, and I'm guessing it would be in this camp.

Found a couple killer deals on rosewood guitars but they've really served to confirm my wood bias. If you're in the Atlanta area, the Fayetteville Guitar Center has a GS8 marked down (perfect body dimensions for me, I think), and Alpharetta has an absurdly priced Breedlove Premier Auditorium that had me thinking long and hard about whether I could influence the sound enough with string selection to be happy. I'll vouch for both being worth a quick trip and for the Fayetteville store (first time since it's well on the south side) feeling uncommonly friendly for a GC. Without being super weird about it, most of them have the typical low-grade retail anxiety permeating. Not so here. Interesting.

Also played a 516 at Maple Street that would be the target if I had a little more capital. Utterly lovely, and maybe still worth the stretch.
Having bought, liked and sold an Avian, but not being super sensitive to neck carves, if it helps I liked the neck no less than any of my current guitars, below.

I do think at its price point its a very fine guitar. I have other posts extolling virtues. Avian Canada seems to have stock, on sale and at a very good USD/CAD FX rate.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I think Avian is out of business.

That said, if you can find an Avian for sale and to answer you. I think Avian neck is a little fatter and more of a "C" than the back of a Taylor neck, which feels thinner and a little flatter.

This is based on my Avian Skylark and Taylor Leo Kottke. Can't help you on the other makes.

Good luck finding an Avian, they are awfully good guitars and when I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago, an absolute steal.
Avian is out of business? That is a shame. Our worship leader in church uses an Avian that was designed by Fleishman and it is a good guitar for its price with impeccable fit and finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion