The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2018, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha mixer and K&K

Hi... I recently received a gift from my family- a Yamaha MG06X mixer.

I recently set it all up into an L1 Compact and it sounds nice. The Yamaha mixer has reverb, and seems to be made very well. It sounds nice with my K&k guitars as is, after playing with different levels of gain. I m debating if it needs my Boss tuner pedal with impedance matching input.

This page is from Yamaha. I think it says 3k ohm impedance inputs on lines 1 and 2, so theoretically the Boss pedal would be a Good idea?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C954A318-8957-4164-A40C-E1AB7E871B3A.jpg (46.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:29 AM

Yes and I tried my MG06x with a K&K just now to be sure. Very bright and crisp (70s Ovation like) until I added a boost pedal (1M input impedance) as a buffer. Except for the gain differences, all the line (1/4") inputs sounded the same.

I just bought a MG10XU yesterday, but the last four years my duo gigged with the MG06x. The larger version has compression, equalization on all the line inputs, and effects (reverb for me) on all the inputs, which I think will let me take my floor pedal setup down to just a boost function for leads (or a ToneDextor for quieter venues where that might be noticeable).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-24-2018, 06:04 AM

Interesting thread...so I don't have a K&K but I tried my guitar with a passive pickup into my MG06X direct and then using a DI box, and the tone WAS VERY DIFFERENT. The high frequency was overly bright without the DI.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but it's my experience. I was using a passive DI box with XLR from the DI into ch2 on the mixer, then into my big PA rig (2 powered12s and an 18" powered sub).
Old 06-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Hi - jumpin in here - do you find the two band eq to be enough for the k&K, I had been steering away from mixers that had just that as my understanding was that the K&K needed a lot of tweaking in the mids?
Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 PM

Try it with the tuner pedal and see if you like it better. Very simple.

Or try it with a DI box going into a mic input. Also simple.

Louis
Old 06-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miznomer View Post
Hi - jumpin in here - do you find the two band eq to be enough for the k&K, I had been steering away from mixers that had just that as my understanding was that the K&K needed a lot of tweaking in the mids?
I've not been gigging with my K&K guitar lately, but when I did, I ran my EQ flat.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification