The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Funny, the inventor/manufacturer seems to be asking potential customers to form opinions based on their videos & advertising. I see nothing wrong with folks voicing positive, negative or skeptical opinions based on the information available. To date, very few people have had the opportunity to see this product in person and, unless I miss understand the maker’s timeline, no one has seen a production model yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Funny, the inventor/manufacturer seems to be asking potential customers to form opinions based on their videos & advertising. I see nothing wrong with folks voicing positive, negative or skeptical opinions based on the information available. To date, very few people have had the opportunity to see this product in person and, unless I miss understand the maker’s timeline, no one has seen a production model yet.
It would be a strange world if you couldn't have an opinion of something without experiencing it first hand...
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside Guitar View Post
I played this guitar at NAMM this year. It was surprisingly fun to play and sounded great. It is a bit of niche product as it certainly won't appeal to the Acoustic purists around here.

The bluetooth speaker part actually sounds good and is really fun to jam along with or learn new songs on. The aspect I found most interesting is the ability to use it like skype......meaning you can jam with someone across the country who also owns one of these. Really interesting idea, especially for a guitar teacher like myself.

I have not purchased one as funds are tight (being a musician/teacher) but I have kept this product on my radar. I definitely would not be criticizing it unless you've actually played a HyVibe in person.....otherwise it is just an opinion with no backing.
Hey now this is a definite potential mkt for this
manufacturer. Imagine how this could open up for virtual guitar lessons,??
Old 06-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

How would this change things from the current ability to do Skype lessons? That’s not a sarcastic question, as it may sound. Someone mentioned that before and I don’t see what this changes.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

It differs in that you can actually hear what the other person is playing through your guitar. The difference here from Skype is both parties would have to own one of these HyVibe guitars.

Not sure if you've ever taken or given a Skype lesson, but they are challenging. In fact, I would say besides learning music theory, Skype lessons are a way for teachers to make easy money. It simply can't replace a one on one teaching experience.

Now before people get bent out of shape over this, Skype lessons do serve a purpose, as does this HyVibe guitar, but it really depends on what the individuals expect to get out of these types of lessons.

As far as forming opinions without playing or hearing the guitar, I'm just not sure they are viable in this case. You certainly can't judge the sound quality of the bluetooth speaker aspect from a marketing video, nor could you experience what it is like to play along with music coming from your guitar's soundhole without trying it.

At the end of the day, I'm way more in the traditional camp. I have vintage and newer Martin and Gibson acoustics, as well as a Santa Cruz OM. I'm not trying to shill this guitar but it is a new, creative idea that will appeal to a small market of players.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 AM

Default HyVibe - The World's First Smart Acoustic Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside Guitar View Post
It differs in that you can actually hear what the other person is playing through your guitar. The difference here from Skype is both parties would have to own one of these HyVibe guitars.

Not sure if you've ever taken or given a Skype lesson, but they are challenging. In fact, I would say besides learning music theory, Skype lessons are a way for teachers to make easy money. It simply can't replace a one on one teaching experience.

Now before people get bent out of shape over this, Skype lessons do serve a purpose, as does this HyVibe guitar, but it really depends on what the individuals expect to get out of these types of lessons.

As far as forming opinions without playing or hearing the guitar, I'm just not sure they are viable in this case. You certainly can't judge the sound quality of the bluetooth speaker aspect from a marketing video, nor could you experience what it is like to play along with music coming from your guitar's soundhole without trying it.

At the end of the day, I'm way more in the traditional camp. I have vintage and newer Martin and Gibson acoustics, as well as a Santa Cruz OM. I'm not trying to shill this guitar but it is a new, creative idea that will appeal to a small market of players.

I guess my question is this...

If you each have one of these guitars and you’ve got a lesson set up online. The other person’s playing would come through your guitar, but I feel like it would do so with some latency behind the video. For the same reason you can’t really jam on a Skype video, I would think you could not jam on a Bluetooth guitar.

If someone’s music came into your guitar and you played along with it, it would be delayed by the time you receive it. Skype video has a delay from the time it is sent until it is received. It’s not in real time.

I just don’t understand how it’s any different than the speaker in the iPad or computer or external Bluetooth speaker. Again, this is not a sarcastic question. It’s just something I’ve seen a few people mention and I don’t quite see the difference between this and a speaker- other than it really coming directly out of a guitar. I can’t see how two people not in the same room or within Bluetooth range could jam without severe delay issues. It doesn’t seem to solve the Skype issue.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Your right. Perhaps in my re-quoted post above
i was just searching for something positive to say
about this guitar...I don't skype . And forgot about
the latency issues involved in all this internet crap.

Last edited by varmonter; 06-22-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Your right. Perhaps in my re-quoted post above
i was just searching for something positive to say
about this guitar...I don't skype . And forgot about
the latency issues involved in all this internet crap.

Yeah. I’m just really curious if that is a use that I don’t understand- Skype I mean. I just don’t see any way to ever get around the latency issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification