The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Default unreal amp pricing

i posted a thread here on -whats it worth- months ago, anyway i found this univox amp on trash day about 10 years ago- yea, it was rained on too, so i brought it home, dried it out and it worked, 30 watt all tube amp, i really didnt like the sound of it and for 30watts, it seems more like 5-10 watts, for the heck of it i put it on craiglist for $175, someone bought it, now i see it relisted as a classic univox hand wired for $425!! its makes me feel bad that someone would buy that piece of junk for that
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM

20 years ago I sold my daughter’s Rabbit convertible at a low price. Within a week I got a call from a man who bought it for twice what I got. The man I sold it to flipped it. It was still mine technically because he hadn’t registered it under his name. I told the buyer what had happened and wished him well.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Looking at this from another point of view, perhaps the guy who bought it had some electronic knowledge, invested his own time/skill to bring it up to spec, maybe swapped a tube or two, and sold a hand-wired vintage amp pumping out its full 30 watts for a not-too-bad price (I've seen better/worse) - no different in practice from the guy who buys a junkyard clunker and turns it into a winner at the local racetrack. Quite frankly, I do the same: buy inexpensive stuff, go over it/clean it up/tweak it to improve performance, cosmetics, and/or tone, keep it for a while, and use it as trading stock toward something I really want; built myself a nice stable that way, became acquainted with a broad variety of equipment, and discovered a few unsung gems in the process...
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 AM

actually, maybe you or others tweak clean and check it- but this irks me now, its still listed sale but at $350- what gets me is- the guy used my photos i originally listed it with, this burns me up now, i can see my carpet, wall panels, and other amps in the photo, i know darn well the amp wasnt serviced, actually i dont even know if its univox 302, when i had it the guy at the music store said it doesnt have any numbers on it but looked like that model- 30 watts maybe but it didnt sound very good or loud at all, since i still have my photos i might list it on craiglist for $50 as say it sounds like crap, then put a sold sign on it- LOL
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM

You sold it so it's not yours anymore. You have no claim on what the guy you sold it to does with it. Those old Univoxes were good amps in the day, except we all wanted Marshall stacks instead of nice little 30 watters back then...
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 PM

true- but he's using my image from my house to sale it- thats the issue that bothers me
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 10-09-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
true- but he's using my image from my house to sale it- thats the issue that bothers me
He can do what he wants with his amp. If you feel it's inappropriate to use your pics, then tell him that, and flag the ad on Craigs, and they will take it down.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Oh oh, I think that's the amp I just bought ...
Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM

I was paging thru Craigs list this am checking on used gear and saw a guy selling two Fuchs amps, 1400 and 2000 dollars. Hand made tube amps built right here in my town. They a have real following in the NYC area, but these are "used" prices for 40 and 50 watt amps. Can get real pricey real quick with tube amps.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
i posted a thread here on -whats it worth- months ago, anyway i found this univox amp on trash day about 10 years ago- yea, it was rained on too, so i brought it home, dried it out and it worked, 30 watt all tube amp, i really didnt like the sound of it and for 30watts, it seems more like 5-10 watts, for the heck of it i put it on craiglist for $175, someone bought it, now i see it relisted as a classic univox hand wired for $425!! its makes me feel bad that someone would buy that piece of junk for that
Quote:
So which is it? Are you upset that he is selling something for more money than he paid for it? Or, are you “bothered” that he is using your original photos?

While I personally wouldn’t understand why someone buying something for less, and then selling it for more, would “irk” or bother you (esp considering you got it for free from trash day, and sold it for $175), but I could understand you being upset that the lister is using your photos.

Though it strikes me as humorous that you say, “it makes me feel bad that someone would buy that piece of junk for that”. When you got it for free, saying it had been rained on, and didn’t sound like 30 watts...but more like 5-10 watts, yet you still sold it for almost $200.

Beyond requesting he take the original pictures down and putting up his own...not sure what recourse you have.

Last edited by PTony; 10-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:06 PM

I don't even know why it bothers him that the guy is using the photos. Why would you care? Are they amazingly artistic shots or something?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
So which is it? Are you upset that he is selling something for more money than he paid for it? Or, are you “bothered” that he is using your original photos?

While I personally wouldn’t understand why someone buying something for less, and then selling it for more, would “irk” or bother you (esp considering you got it for free from trash day, and sold it for $175), but I could understand you being upset that the lister is using your photos.

Though it strikes me as humorous that you say, “it makes me feel bad that someone would buy that piece of junk for that”. When you got it for free, saying it had been rained on, and didn’t sound like 30 watts...but more like 5-10 watts, yet you still sold it for almost $200.

Beyond requesting he take the original pictures down and putting up his own...not sure what recourse you have.
honestly, its the fact he is using my photos, i dont care if he gets $500 for the crappy amp, its just the image of the amp on the inside of my house is shown for sale, i feel some kind of violation here that is hard to explain
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM

sounds like it is time to let that go and....

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Just be happy you got a honest price for it, and are not the one that took advantage of a unaware tube crazy buyer.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM

I typically won't buy a used item unless it's a REALLY good price, and I don't typically buy anything that won't hold it's value. I do that because I figure... I'm taking a risk buying used, and if I don't like it and want to sell it, I can make some money on it. You lost nothing in the deal, actually you made money, so let it go. And unless you think there's something in the photos that can actually harm you (location of your house, goods in it, etc), why worry about that. If something in those photos does compromise you in any way, contact the guy and have him remove the photos. He probably doesn't know how you feel about it so you can't harbor sour grapes over it. You made a quick sale, and quite the profit, and it may take the guy who bought the amp quite a while to sell it at his price. Flipping gear for a profit is quite common.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars