The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Ryan! Turned out very nice. Good luck in Seattle!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Thumbs up

The completed guitar looks very nice, all the features blend well together. I missed the vote on buttons, but this is a good thing as I would have got it wrong, the Ebony looks better to my eye now that I see it. Looking forward to hearing a clip or an evaluation of the tone.

I also now have a little peace-of-mind, knowing my sig has been immortalized for all time

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get a recording before the convention, but I'll try to get a video at the event.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I now have the guitar back from the GAL convention, and it's now for sale. If you participated in the voting of the build, I will give you a significant discount if your interested. If you're just reading this, I'll give you a little discount too. Please contact me by PM or at my email [email protected] to find out the details. I will post up in the Guitars in stock thread at the top of the Custom Shop the standard for sale jargon.

We will try to get recordings soon. It has a most enjoyable sound.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, here it is...the completed sound clips. Steve generously recorded a couple of one takes for me last night. These were recorded with a basic mic in a large room with no EQ manipulation. I couldn't be more pleased with the sound of this guitar; it's everything I had hoped it would be. While these are all fingerstyle tracks, it does sound great strummed as well. When Mark Hanson was playing it at the GAL convention, he really laid into it, and it never broke up. A solid all-arounder was what I wanted, and I believe we got it. I hope you enjoy.

I will have the Marketplace Ad up soon for this one, but I would like to give the contributors (or readers) of this thread first crack at this one since you helped build it. Many thanks for all who check in on this one.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

That is a really sweet sounding instrument Ryan. You should be really happy with the results of your work. Nice playing by Steve too. I'm happy it worked out so well and thanks for letting us join in. Good fun. I'm sure somebody will appreciate this guitar and snag it from you soon. I voted for short scale
Old 08-03-2017, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
That is a really sweet sounding instrument Ryan. You should be really happy with the results of your work. Nice playing by Steve too. I'm happy it worked out so well and thanks for letting us join in. Good fun. I'm sure somebody will appreciate this guitar and snag it from you soon. I voted for short scale
Thanks John, and thanks for casting those votes even if they went the other way. Of course, I could send you a capo and you could tune down a half step - short scale for the poor man. Or we could call it a modular guitar.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Congrats Ryan! It sounds absolutely great. I would say it is very well balanced and yet nothing suffers, the trebles ring and the bass is full. Verra nice indeed. It was nice to hear the first three tunes that I have not heard before and Steve's fingers were in great form last night.

Wonderful job all around, I think Steve should be able to have confidence when he leaves the shop for a bit, that it is in good hands!!!

Tom
Old 08-03-2017, 04:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Ryan! It sounds absolutely great. I would say it is very well balanced and yet nothing suffers, the trebles ring and the bass is full. Verra nice indeed. It was nice to hear the first three tunes that I have not heard before and Steve's fingers were in great form last night.
Tom, you are right, this guitar is balanced. And the Sitka has loads of headroom. Thanks for the nice remark re. the playing. I felt terribly clumsy, but good guitars can make you sound better than you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wonderful job all around, I think Steve should be able to have confidence when he leaves the shop for a bit, that it is in good hands!!!
Tom
Indeed...I plan on retiring next year. Haven't been in the shop, really, in months!

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tom! Your OM is now the standard by which I judge all OM's, and I confess that there may be a hint more sparkle in your guitar. However, I think for plain ol' Red Gum and Sitka it does its job admirably. I forgot to ask about the provenance of the first tune, but the second was written by one of Steve's friends - and it's one of my personal favorites. Steve wrote the third tune that I think sounds particularly pleasant. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Schweeet tones from Nacogdoches! Certainly agree with the balanced assessment. Beautiful fingerstyle work Steve! Really enjoyed participating in the votes. And thanks for the intro to Red Gum. Awesome Ryan. Congrats on a fine instrument.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a fine instrument, Ryan!

And thanks for including us in on the fun.

Really sounded beautiful on the tunes!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate all the support.

For those that our interested, here's the link to the Marketplace Ad: Middlebrook OM #3. If your name is under the top (you know who you are), we can work out a better deal.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:54 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Ryan, Gorgeous guitar, lovely tone. Very, very nice and well priced too!!

I know someone will be supremely pleased with this one, and couldn't possibly buy it from a nicer guy!

Best of luck with your sale!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Thumbs up

Ryan, finally got a chance to listen to your guitar sound clips, very nice indeed. Great all round effort on your part, lots of fun for us AGF's, what more could a guy ask for. I'm sure the buyer will be well pleased.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop