The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-24-2018, 02:41 AM

Default For builders: how did you choose your logo?

Hi guys! I thought it would be interesting to share how each of us came to choose/design their own logo. I bet there are quite a few interesting stories to be told.
So here we go for my own. This is a shot of the Monterosso hill, which literally means red mountain, and also happens to be my last name. It has a weird shape, so that looking at it from most angles always resembles the same shape. Well it reminds me of a half guitar.
Also, in logo form, it is a styled M for Max...
So there you go, “my” mountain, my guitars, my name.

What’s your story?

IMG_5018.jpg
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

For a number of years I used my whole last name. I signed my name on paper many times till I thought I had a good one, scanned it, and then used a graphics program to thicken the lines enough to cut it in pearl. But I started to think an actual logo was a better idea, and also I had a high failure rate hand cutting those long skinny lines of script. So I took the “exauer” out of my work and idealized the “S” bit. I continue to hand cut every example as they are my “signature” piece, and no two are quite the same.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default For builders: how did you choose your logo?

I never really considered using my full last name because I was already tired of “Hatcher’s Axes” before I even started making guitars. I looked for an existing H font I liked and it being a font would enable me to type it in brochures etc. I also liked it because it reminded me of those old 45 record inserts so naturally it needed to go inside the sound hole with the rosette.
I started out cutting it from shell and various woods but, I thought it would be cool to burn my brand with a branding iron. I like the idea of using a 17th century technology on a contemporary guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42756053471_113be75931_o.jpg (60.7 KB, 197 views)

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmonte View Post
Hi guys! I thought it would be interesting to share how each of us came to choose/design their own logo. I bet there are quite a few interesting stories to be told.
So here we go for my own. This is a shot of the Monterosso hill, which literally means red mountain, and also happens to be my last name. It has a weird shape, so that looking at it from most angles always resembles the same shape. Well it reminds me of a half guitar.
Also, in logo form, it is a styled M for Max...
So there you go, “my” mountain, my guitars, my name.

What’s your story?

Attachment 10122

Hi Max...

My logo is composed of the name of my company, and the town in which I reside.....with a symbolic image to replace one of the letters in the name (I do recall the creative classes, that I took during the pursuit my Advertising/Marketing degree, being my favorite classes)...

IMG_1529884569.129343.jpg

The name that I chose to represent me, and my guitars, is directly tied to iconic imagery pulled from my spiritual beliefs.....a nod, if you will, to a power which I elevate higher than self.

I decided that pulling the symbol of the hand from my logo to use as my headstock logo was the best option, and would create the identity that I was in search of...

IMG_1839.jpg

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM

I got into making instruments because my older sister heard Richard and Mimi Farina at Newport, and wanted a dulcimer like his. This was when I was in the Navy. She had a Volkswagon bug that she called 'Howlet', and her letters to me were full of adventures with it, so when I got good enough to make her a nice one I drew up a little owl decoration. It's pretty fanciiful; not much like any real owl. I had seen a lot of examples of Athena's owl ( a barn owl) when we were in port in Athens. Athena is the godess of wisdom and craft, so that's a good fit, but her owl is pretty scary. That's fitting, of course; she was, afer all, a Greek godess, and a pretty scary person if you crossed her. My owl is more mischevious. I have not used it on every instrument, although I'm doing more of them of late. Like Bruce, I cut them all by hand, all 16+ pieces these days, and they vary, which is part of the fun. I used to make them from shell, but have switched over to wood and bone of late; the design 'reads' better.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:06 PM

I can't say I have a logo yet, but these are the two I've used.

This is my stylized signature,

and this is my last name in a font I designed in high school.
et al
Old 06-24-2018, 08:45 PM

Awesome... keep them coming!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 AM

I have made a few guitars but I don't consider myself a guitar builder (They're OK for me but that's about it).

However, I do use this logo for my other projects which is simply made up from my initials, 'F.O'. This actually works quite well for the guitar sound hole.

Whenever I include my surname I use this: - which is a continuation of the first letters going 'over' the middle to the 'end' letter of my name.

YouTube
Old 06-25-2018, 06:23 AM

Those look great, so your real name is not Ozzy the Dog???

How is that fantastic guitar now that it is a year or so old. I remember the build thread very well. Lots of doubters on whether the tiered sides etc. would work out?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Our logo has evolved from researching our McKnight family heritage dating back to the Pict clans from Northern Ireland and Scotland. The original family name came from the Clan MacNaughton but later changed to McKnight. Our Mc ... Knight helmet logo ties in with our family's coat of arms as well as military and defensive conflicts our forefathers encountered. The font we chose to use is an old English design.

Our Luckenbooth side sound port also came out of our family tree research dating back to Mary Queen of Scots. As one story goes, she had a "brooch" designed with the letter M and gave it to her betrothal to signify their engagement. He had one made and gave for her a similar Brooch and this tradition was continued through Scottish history to signify an engagement in place of a ring that we commonly see today.

Another legend of the Luckenbooth brooch is that it was a symbol of love and devotion given by Mary Queen of Scots to Lord Darnley. Yet another story is that it was an engagement brooch given to her by the Dauphin of France whom she later married. Regardless of the exact origin we liked the Luckenbooth design enough to have adopted it as our unique side sound port for our guitars.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

When I was first deciding on a name, someone was already building Kennedy Guitars so I thought it best to search out something more unique (though there's a good chance I'll transition to Michael Kennedy Guitars before too long...). I grew up on Indian Hill Road in Pound Ridge, NY so I liked the personal connection and overall feel of Indian Hill Guitars but I also quickly realized the logo potential! An uppercase "I" and "H" are basically the same thing rotated 90 degrees so I came up with a pretty simple design...

For my labels I wanted a rough around the edges feel and cut a stamp out of some old pencil erasers glued together...

Mike
instagram
Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Mike, I am mostly a traditionalist when it comes to rosettes. I like small, simple rings. Less is more for my preference but I have to say, that rosette pictured above is beautiful. I really like it.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Irvin Guitars

First, Irvin is my middle name. That's where the name comes from. Second my logo was designed by my daughter, Rhyan who is an engineer for Amazon, but a very gifted artist (genes passed on from my wife) She wrote it on a napkin and showed it to me. I loved it. She then put it in an illustrator file and designed the whole 'Irvin Guitars' logo you'll see on my website and my custom cases as well. I also borrowed the branding iron idea from Tom Doerr and Mark Hatcher and add that inside my guitars.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

First, Irvin is my middle name. That's where the name comes from. Second my logo was designed by my daughter, Rhyan who is an engineer for Amazon, but a very gifted artist

(GENES PASSED ON FROM MY WIFE)

She wrote it on a napkin and showed it to me. I loved it. She then put it in an illustrator file and designed the whole 'Irvin Guitars' logo you'll see on my website and my custom cases as well. I also borrowed the branding iron idea from Tom Doerr and Mark Hatcher and add that inside my guitars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not fooling us, Wayne...we've all seen your beautiful guitars!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
First, Irvin is my middle name. That's where the name comes from. Second my logo was designed by my daughter, Rhyan who is an engineer for Amazon, but a very gifted artist

(GENES PASSED ON FROM MY WIFE)

She wrote it on a napkin and showed it to me. I loved it. She then put it in an illustrator file and designed the whole 'Irvin Guitars' logo you'll see on my website and my custom cases as well. I also borrowed the branding iron idea from Tom Doerr and Mark Hatcher and add that inside my guitars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not fooling us, Wayne...we've all seen your beautiful guitars!!!
well, thanks for your kind words Joel.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop