The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Humanist

Default NW Handcrafted Instrument Show...Props to Propsom...

...sorry for the pun...!

I only had a few moments inside the NW Handcrafted Instrument show going on this weekend in Portland (Marylhurst Univ.).

I had a few introductions to make before I zipped up to Tacoma to visit with an ailing old-buddy.

The most important for me was to meet Michael Propsom in-person, someone I have respected from afar...and who has some common roots/connections to our ancient past...most notably that Michael had studied with Bozo Podunavac "way back when"!

I played the dreadnaught pictured here...sort of a modified-D, of Michael's own making.

It was one of the finest guitars I have touched, plain and simple. A huge voice, but with all the clarity and presence one could want...

I would have bought it immediately (no fooling) if it had a 2-1/4" bridge spacing...alas, the 2-3/16" left me 1/16" short...but this will be a great find for someone.

Anyway, here's Michael with the guitar:

IMG_1825.jpg
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-29-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the glowing report on my Soloist, Larry. I'm glad that we could finally meet in person. I especially enjoyed the sitting across from you and hearing what that instrument could do in the hands of a virtuoso. Best wishes for your friend's recovery!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

What Larry said!
I got to know Michael at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in 2011, when we were exhibiting our guitars side by side there. Michael’s a great guy, with lots of interesting stories to tell, including about his time with the legend, Bozo Podunavac, back in the early days of Michael’s lutherie journey. It’s interesting that Bozo guitars were very well known for their over-the-top, almost baroque blinginess, while Michael’s guitars are the epitome of uncluttered elegance of design. Michael is a true original, not a follower.

But the main thing I noticed at that 2011 Healdsburg show was, even in that big exhibition hall with all the clatter and din, you’d walk up and pluck the open strings on Michael’s guitars, sitting in their stands, and the big, round, quality of the notes would knock you back on your heels. They have a beautiful sonority, which I would describe as right in between high-end vintage Martin tone, and the more modern tone you get with the Somogyi school, and, say, Michael Greenfield’s guitars. Suffice to say, they sound awesome and inspiring.

Clearly, Michael Propsom has the tone production figured out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop