The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Jose Ramirez 1973 CONCEPCION JERONIMA NO. 2 classical guitar/ photos!

I have the opportunity to buy a Jose Ramirez 1973 CONCEPCION JERONIMA NO. 2 guitar for a very fair price. Beyond the occasional bump or ding the guitars' bridge has some very small amount of bridge lift in one area; the neck has obviously been re-set at some point, action is 'high-ish even for the breed but lowered bridge saddle might fix that. Some body edge wear in evidence. The neck plays well however and the guitar sounds great- focused, full bottom'd, clear and articulate even under force. I like this guitar a lot, am negotiating with seller who wants $1400.

Last edited by jonbutcheraxis; 06-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 PM

The Japanese copiously studied the greats, and became great themselves. There are online sellers who specialize in Japanese used, so it's one lead worth pursuing.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:49 AM

If it sounds good, you may have opportunity to increase its volume and clarity. Viewing from the side, is the saddle fit snug? Is the break angle of the strings over the saddle gently sloped? Know that you can increase the break angle by two or so degrees with string tie-beads, the three hole type (it can make a difference). Is there enough saddle exposed above the bridge slot to allow for lowering of the action, if so desired? Pair with the right strings, and you could well have an impressive guitar.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 AM

Do you have better photos of the label? This looks like one of the Ramirez student models, which were produced by other factories for Ramirez. I think the asking price is high, especially considering the bridge lift. Is this the one at the Guitar Center in Danvers, MA?
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM

I won't address price. The bridge 'lift' may not be an issue. I don't see an obvious gap, possibly the varnish was thick enough to deform under tension, and it's no more/less than that. The action and the available saddle height would be my main focus. For instance, I prefer 2.5mm string height for the treble e at the 12 fret, but will settle for 3mm, if the guitar sounds great.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
Do you have better photos of the label? This looks like one of the Ramirez student models, which were produced by other factories for Ramirez. I think the asking price is high, especially considering the bridge lift. Is this the one at the Guitar Center in Danvers, MA?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 AM

Probably:

A factory student (estudio) guitar not built by Ramirez but built to a spec for Ramirez. Maybe solid back and sides, maybe not. I am pretty sure this did not start out as an expensive guitar. If you look at the bridge, I believe you can see where the finish is flaking and showing light wood beneath the dark finish. Neck set is interesting too. How sure are you?

Price is tough. I would not be interested at $1400.

hunter
Old 06-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Expensive for a student instrument...

$1400 is quite a lot of money for a Ramirez student guitar. I’m not sure when Ramirez started outsourcing their student models but there’s a huge difference between these and the concert instruments they make.

It’s very unlikely that the neck has been reset simply because these instruments are made with a Spanish heel, where the neck is made and attached to top, then sides and back during the build process, so integrated into the body.

A typical classical action is 4mm on the low E and 3mm on the high E. The saddle can be lowered but you’ll need to retain enough break angle over the saddle for the strings. The saddle looks okay now but there’s not much leeway for lowering. Two options to increase string break angle are to use string beads or convert the bridge to twelve holes.

If there are no significant issues, and it’s one of the higher end solid rosewood student models then it might be worth $1000. With issues and at the lower end considerably less.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com
Smile

This is a student model, and as such for an old instrument, with its bridge beginning to show evidence of coming off, is over priced. I think you can do better. I don't sell anything in this range, but certain would be happy to weigh in on anything you are considering.

Best,

James

Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras
Old 06-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Thank you gentlemen, in truth i thought it over priced too, unfortunately they're unwilling to price negotiate. I might've been willing to go $1100 on it, have already moved on emotionally although it does appear however that the $1000-1500 price point is a touch nut to crack if you want a lightweight, full size guitar w/ solid back and sides.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis View Post
Thank you gentlemen, in truth i thought it over priced too, unfortunately they're unwilling to price negotiate. I might've been willing to go $1100 on it, have already moved on emotionally although it does appear however that the $1000-1500 price point is a touch nut to crack if you want a lightweight, full size guitar w/ solid back and sides.
Navarro comes to mind. Marlon's guitars are less expensive than his father's, but they are excellent as well. Ramon Amira in NYC, among others, can give you the rundown on the different models and price points. You can also find these on Reverb. Here is a new example for $1200, sold by a very reputable dealer:
https://reverb.com/item/12350559-mar...e-palo-escrito
Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis View Post
Hi, The best classical guitar with all solid rosewood sides and back, solid cedar top and ebony fingerboard is the Esteve 7SR. I t can bought for 1000 USD
and even less brand new. Nothing better at that price point out there. Regards Norman2
Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
Navarro comes to mind. Marlon's guitars are less expensive than his father's, but they are excellent as well. Ramon Amira in NYC, among others, can give you the rundown on the different models and price points. You can also find these on Reverb. Here is a new example for $1200, sold by a very reputable dealer:
https://reverb.com/item/12350559-mar...e-palo-escrito
I like the Navarro's too. I have an estudio palo escrito flamenco built during the time they carried the Francisco Navarro label. Label aside, it was still built in the family factory by Marlon and company. For years, Memorial Music in Houston was the importer. Not sure if that is the case but typically you can find Memorial selling them on ebay or Amazon and they sell out of their store too. As above, if you call Ron Hudson at Memorial he can provide input on the Navarro's.

hunter
Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Norman, thanks for tip, found some very useful info and clips, am hot find a deal on an Esteve 7SR, just curious for your thoughts on any other Esteve model? The ESTEVE 8 for instance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2 View Post
Hi, The best classical guitar with all solid rosewood sides and back, solid cedar top and ebony fingerboard is the Esteve 7SR. I t can bought for 1000 USD
and even less brand new. Nothing better at that price point out there. Regards Norman2

Last edited by jonbutcheraxis; 06-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical