The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2023, 07:38 PM

Talking NGD: Bourgeois Touchstone OM

Hi all! Long time lurker here and wanted to share my experience. I've been playing the death out of my Martin 000 MMV for years and I thought it was time for an upgrade. It really opened up over the years and it's given so much back to me but I knew it was time to try something different.

The rabbit hole started when I tried a Collings for the first time. Julian Lage model I think? But dang, never knew an acoustic could be so resonant and responsive. For the next couple of weeks I was on the hunt and tried to find something more within my price range that still had that boutique sound.

Collings 00 14 - Fret model used- Super stellar sound as well, but not as bass heavy as I'd like and the action was pretty high.

Martin OM 28 - lovely Martin sound as we all knew but it didn't have the (top is vibrating) feel that the Collings gave me.

Martin OM-21 - I almost actually went with this one! The neck was incredible although the tone was still not quite what I heard in my head - but the feel was just out of this world. I play mainly fingerpicking and jazzy/R&Bish music so this felt just perfect and slinky, sounded fantastic as well.

Then the nice people at my local store brought out a Bourgeois Touchstone OM that they had just received. Absolutely gorgeous fit and finish. It was a lot heavier than the other 3 that I tried but the tone was just what I was looking for. It was similar to the Collings in that it had this pronounced resonance and body about it. It wasn't as articulate and it had less overtones, but it was no slouch either. The fundamental tone of it just sings and the sustain is beautiful. The notes are well balanced but it had more bottom end and projected almost like a dread. The feel of the neck wasn't as slinky as I'd hoped (that Martin OM 21 really was perfect) but I lowered the action enough to where it doesn't bother me. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience as I just came across Bourgeois and I highly recommend it.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a great choice. I’ve been a little curious about these. I think a shop near me has one in stock. Might check it out at some point.
Taylor GS mini Rosewood
———————
PRS electrics
Old 09-07-2023, 08:38 PM

Definitely recommend it!
Old 09-08-2023, 05:52 AM

If I’m remembering correctly this is the Bourgeois/Eastman guitar. Is that correct?
I’ve been wondering about them but I’ve seen little to no posts here on the forum.
I hope others who’ve played them chime in
Congratulations on finding the current one, Enjoy!
Old 09-08-2023, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I played one of the dreads- wonderful guitar!
Old 09-08-2023, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, and thanks for the review. A lot of people are curious about those guitars.

But what the heck man! Where are your pictures!!
Old 09-08-2023, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

How exciting! I haven’t had any experience with these guitars so it’s great to hear more about them from players discovering them. Enjoy!
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-08-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Salvatore! I haven't heard or seen any of these, but I'm sure they are fine instruments. Enjoy

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 09-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Salvatore and welcome to the forum! I have read that the Bourgeois Touchstone OM is a very nice guitar, but have not had a chance to play one.

- Glenn
Old 09-08-2023, 09:43 AM

I just purchased the very first County Boy Touchstone Dread sent out of the shop...

I also own two Martins (HD and MD 28's) and a Collings D1a

This guitar is awesome...has it own sound, similar if not identical to a Lewiston Country Boy..

I'm super happy with it..fit and finish every bit as good as Collings or Lewiston Bourgeois.....better than Martin....

The only thing I am changing is the case....the case stinks (presumably the lining glue)...and the hardware and handle are a bit on the cheap...but it actually looks pretty much like a regular Bourgeois case...Anyway a new one (TLK / Bourgeois) coming from Lewiston delivering today...$585 for the case and shipping..ouch....it's only money!!
Old 09-08-2023, 11:29 AM

I had the same issue! I couldn’t really find much on it. I did see some disdain for how it’s built but a good guitar is a good guitar in my book!
Old 09-08-2023, 11:32 AM

Sorry I’m a newb at this! https://photos.app.goo.gl/BH2K527B3ShDPYFb7
Old 09-08-2023, 11:36 AM

That’s too rad! I was really curious when they announced that not too long ago as I love hog tops. Would love to try it side by side if our ship ever gets one in!

I hear you on the case, the covering has a nice smooth feel to it but the inside is pretty stiff, that and my luthier already broke one of the buckles. But hey gotta protect what’s inside!
Old 09-08-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Congrats. I played a couple touchstone OMs at Down Home and I thought they were superb.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:18 PM

Thats where mine came from

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, boutique, ngd