The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm not concerned about using the connectivity features, I was curious if I could use the app/charts when I wasn't connected (say, camping or overseas).

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 PM

Unhappy

Sad day yesterday. Sat in the park while my kids were playing and me editing video on my ipad. Got distracted and had to set the it down. Just to be safe I put it into it's carrying case. Here's the hard part, I didn't zip it. Came back and picked it up by the handle to leave and it fell out smashing the screen. Ouch. I found it's $140 to replace the glass. It still seems to work. I think I'll be going Larry's route and getting an Otter case.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
Thanks for the quick answer. I'm not concerned about using the connectivity features, I was curious if I could use the app/charts when I wasn't connected (say, camping or overseas).

Thanks again!
Hi jmc....

All files are loaded & stored in the app, and are accessible by the user apart from internet availability.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Sad day yesterday. Sat in the park while my kids were playing and me editing video on my ipad. Got distracted and had to set the it down. Just to be safe I put it into it's carrying case. Here's the hard part, I didn't zip it. Came back and picked it up by the handle to leave and it fell out smashing the screen. Ouch. I found it's $140 to replace the glass. It still seems to work. I think I'll be going Larry's route and getting an Otter case.
Bummer Man!

I'm a frequent-user so mine remain in protective cases (my phone too).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I think I'll be going Larry's route and getting an Otter case.
I use an Otterbox for my iPad but hated taking it in and out of the case to clip the naked iPad into the iKlip I had for mounting it to a mic stand. Larry converted me to the idea of using a music stand attachment to hold the iPad while in its case. I played with it at a church picnic last weekend and it was such an easier set up. I didn't have to take the iPad out of the Otterbox and had piece of mind that nothing was going to happen to the iPad while unprotected. I think this setup is a winner. Here's how it looked with the iPad (in case) sticking up over the top of the music stand:

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I use an Otterbox for my iPad but hated taking it in and out of the case to clip the naked iPad into the iKlip I had for mounting it to a mic stand. Larry converted me to the idea of using a music stand attachment to hold the iPad while in its case. I played with it at a church picnic last weekend and it was such an easier set up. I didn't have to take the iPad out of the Otterbox and had piece of mind that nothing was going to happen to the iPad while unprotected. I think this setup is a winner. Here's how it looked with the iPad (in case) sticking up over the top of the music stand:
What kind of mic stand base are you using, solid round base or three legged? I just noticed the Bible (appears to be) on that mic stand adaptor next to the iPad and I imagine that it is adding a certain amount of weight/pull to that side of the mic stand.

Joe
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
What kind of mic stand base are you using, solid round base or three legged? I just noticed the Bible (appears to be) on that mic stand adaptor next to the iPad and I imagine that it is adding a certain amount of weight/pull to that side of the mic stand.

Joe
Hi Joe...
I use three legged mic stands (tripod style) and often use my gear bag to weight one leg so it's stable.

I also use a small clamp on tray in addition to the clamp on music stand to hold the preamp. I had the 'mouth' or 'jaws' of the clamps of both enlarged slightly to fit the wider shaft under the height adjuster on the mic stand so it's better balanced and out of my sight line when playing seated.

A couple of quick shots I grabbed last week while we were setting up and at a recent gig (sharing gear) - I really need to pose the setup in my studio and shoot it. Both of these shots look messy - but the tray and stand are there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post

Joe
Joe,

I ensure that the music stand adapter (a Quik Lok MS-303) is extended over one of the legs of the tripod mic stand, which helps stability. The mic stand I use is pretty heavy duty, so it provides a solid anchor and I wasn't concerned of anything tipping. Even so, Larry's suggestions to further anchor the stand are wise. I was thinking too that a nice, tight wrap of the mic cable around the stand, taped to the floor would also work. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM

I have taken the additional step on placing velcro on the back of the iPad case and one to the holder to make sure the iPad is securely attached to the holder and is not slipping off the stand and onto the floor. Easy and cheap insurance.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:47 AM

My wife is considering getting me an ipad for Christmas to put my music into. Reading through all this "technical" stuff makes my head spin. I don't do any files or folders now on my computer. Can I really accomplish all of this without having a clue of what I am doing?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
My wife is considering getting me an ipad for Christmas to put my music into. Reading through all this "technical" stuff makes my head spin. I don't do any files or folders now on my computer. Can I really accomplish all of this without having a clue of what I am doing?
Honestly, probably not...I have most of them, and a learning curve is required..Moving things here and there, making them pdf's ect...but, you can do it with all the help that is available, via here, youtube and the program authors..
Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 AM

"Live use" is a broad term, too. I use and REALLY like my iPad for live use with SetListMaker. But it's just a setlist app for me, with a few lyrics, and that's all I need. iPads can be used for a whole lot more than that, though, in a live situation. Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-28-2013, 11:58 AM

speaking for the uncool minority here... I use my Android tablet every Sunday with the church band. there are pps for Android as well and it does everything I need. (I use mobilesheets)
that's me on guitar
Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
speaking for the uncool minority here... I use my Android tablet every Sunday with the church band. there are pps for Android as well and it does everything I need. (I use mobilesheets)
Hi royd...

MobileSheets is to Android what UnrealBook is to iOS. They are very similar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Anyone use an external monitor with their iPad? Either using a cable or AppleTV?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification