The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 01:40 PM

The subject hits a nerve with me due to a recent Craigslist buyer who ignored the term "price is firm" and seemed hell-bent on beating me down on a custom $900 guitar, not because he thought I mis-priced it as he asked zero questions about it, but simply because he had to have a "win"/"lose" deal.

In the course of emails he bragged to me about how he always got a great deal on the 12 guitars he owned but I never bothered to reply that if he was such a genius buyer, how was it that he owns 12 guitars and is still looking for another?

Having played guitar for decades I now have a very specific set of specs to accumulate the 5 "nice" acoustics I have now. The most recent purchase was such a rare custom LSV model Larrivee that I had no qualms about paying the eBay asking price, which was a tad high. I might have waited till the auction ran out to see if he'd drop his re-listed starting price since there was no-one watching it, but I recall the regret when I saw the same guitar pop up about 3-4 years earlier wishing I had snapped it up.

If the deal is more important than the instrument, then your priorities are off IMHO. Or maybe you're just not that discriminating on what you want and that any particular guitar you think is good will be just that much better if you got a bargain on it. Which I guess is ok, but I'm pretty sure no one ever whines about paying too much for a guitar they love to play. I never have.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM

I love to find deals that others shy away from.

I buy vintage guitars (Gibsons from the '30's and '40's) that are cosmetically-challenged and overlooked by more discriminating buyers. The more beat up, the better, and consequently cheaper.

They almost always have things wrong with them (cracks needing repair, shallow neck angle needing a reset, lifting bridges, worn frets, horrendous amounts of pick rash, etc).

Since I am concentrating on one brand and one time period, I can narrow my search to good deals on "project" guitars. I have a great luthier on speed dial who can fix just about anything, and do it economically.

So far, I have not gotten burned. One day, I probably will. Risk-taking is part of the fun of deal-hunting for me.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 03-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I buy a guitar based on that guitar being...for my needs, wants, and budget... and by my personal tastes/standards...a fantastic musical instrument and "getting a great lowest price, or, a steal of a deal price" is the least important "point of consideration" in my buying decision, and in fact is usually not a point of consideration at all.

I have gotten really great deals on some guitars I own, or have owned, and I have paid more than what the "market" as a whole would say is the fair average price...even a lot more than "upper end fair market price" whatever that may be.

If a guitar is one that I want, and it is at all within the realm of what I can afford...even if it is at the absolute upper limit of what I can afford...I would never let price stand in the way of buying that guitar, and I would not...and do not...EVER feel bad about that purchase later, worrying that I paid too much for it...that I did not "get a deal" on it.

But...I buy guitars to use...as instruments to make music...not for resale, not for the hobby of wheelin' and dealin' buying and selling, not for status symbol bragging rights among my fellow guitar playing/owning friends, or out on the guitar forums.

The guitar people whom I know, and have known in my "not professional, just for fun" guitar playing life of now 46 years...whom buy a guitar like me, for it's abilities as a music making tool, also have rarely ever been concerned with "getting a deal on the price" as much as they were concerned with "getting the right instrument".

In the 10+ years that I worked for Guitar Center, the customers I saw...and we are talking thousands of customers in almost 11 years time...whom were buying guitars with the same basic criteria as myself, also tended not to focus on "lowest pricing, best deal getting", but rather, getting the "best/right" instrument for their needs.

Those customers, who did buy on "best guitar for needs" and did not buy on "best lowest price/deal for me" considerations, were also always the nicest/easiest folks to deal with...AND...they were always the most happy and most satisfied with their purchases, both in the short term, and in the long term...AND rarely...returned a guitar for any reason...even when they came looking for another.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Thank you for saving me the time of writing this myself.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:27 PM

It has to be good enough so as not to lose more than a few hundred $ when I sell it. Sometimes I have to hold them for a while before that happens but it's not so much of a burden to "own" a nice guitar for decade or more. I just have to keep them nice.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:58 PM

I'm definitely a deal hunter, love the hunt, but after I buy it, it's a family member and I don't mind at all spending money to set up or repairs or fret leveling, etc. I buy only used, usually keep 'em for a year or two then GAS and want to try something different. I've owned about a dozen Eastmans, great guitars, the best value on the planet. Just bought a Guild used F-30R, a bold 000 sitka/rosewood, great price on Reverb.

I always consider resale appeal when there are issues like finish checking. Won't buy a used guitar with a "Professionally Repaired Crack", or a "B" Stock guitar. Cosmetics seem to effect most buyers of used guitars.

My luthier had a guitar on his counter top, with a huge hole in the sound board. I was really surprised, thought he was joking when he said he was almost done "building this new guitar". A customer wanted a guitar identical to Willie Nelson's old old guitar that has that 4" diameter hole in the sound board.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Default not generally looking for "deals"

I definitely prefer to buy used or to trade which can be a lot of fun.

I don't want to take advantage of anyone either as a buyer or seller, and I don't seek to make a profit when I sell. Anymore I resist the temptation to buy something just because the price is right because resale, if I don't like it, certainly isn't guaranteed without taking a hit.

Regardless of market forces, each guitar has a certain value and I hate to see them given away. Nevertheless, once a new guitar is purchased by someone, it is now considered used, just like a car and the price drops substantially. Many guitars are listed for prices that are way too high. With ready access to information, we all can see what is reasonable. The one thing that is more difficult to assess is honesty in the descriptions.

For me the prudent approach to buying and selling is to buy at a decent (and fair) used price because I want to try something and to recognize that, if I sell it, I will accept a certain loss, but that's the price of trying it.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
My best was $125 for a 1974 Guild F-50 at a yard sale.
Man , that's not a good deal. That's a steal!

Getting a good deal is big for me. I got good deals on most of my guitars - some really good deals. My mint New Hartford Guild F50R was a great deal. It was on reverb for over $2,000 to start, but the seller kept reducing the price. It was down to $1800, I think, made an offer for $1650 and got it. Tremendous guitar!

My mint burst Guild JF30-12 was a great deal at $800. Fantastic guitar!

My like-new 2018 Gibson Songwriter 12 was $1,000 off the going price for a new one. Another super guitar.

I just got another pretty good deal at 33% off the asking price, but it's en route and a secret at this point.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It isn't nearly as important to me to get a good deal as it is to get an excellent guitar.

Bob
+1

However I will not overpay regardless of how much I like the guitar.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:28 PM

As long as I'm not paying over the odds for where I live, getting a deal does not register.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:30 PM

If I had more money I would have more guitars 😏
While I do not want to pay more than I have to, the price I paid is the first thing I forget. If it sounds good, looks good and plays well then it is worth having. I believe that the feeling one gets when playing music is not something that can have a value represented in $. When I do shop for an instrument I would rather not know the price until after I decide that I like it. Looking for a guitar, not a deal.....
Old 03-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbee View Post
A great price on something you don't really love is never a bargain, unless you're just a trader or dealer.
Agreed. I got a reasonably good price on my 2012 HD-28V. It was less than the prices I've seen for the same make and model at GC and Reverb, but more than what the seller would have gotten on a trade-in. Having said that, I do look for bargains, but generally I'm willing to pay what is necessary to get what I really want.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
My luthier had a guitar on his counter top, with a huge hole in the sound board. I was really surprised, thought he was joking when he said he was almost done "building this new guitar". A customer wanted a guitar identical to Willie Nelson's old old guitar that has that 4" diameter hole in the sound board.
I wonder if the luthier or the customer know how much time and money goes into keeping Willie's guitar together!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It isn't nearly as important to me to get a good deal as it is to get an excellent guitar.

Bob
I second this. I'm usually looking for "a fair deal" for me and the seller. If it's a little better for me, so be it, but not interested in screwing anyone on a deal, or taking advantage of someone who's in need of cash.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:57 PM

Default As long as a good deal is a fair deal I'm ok with that...

I've bought and sold just a few guitars. Overall, I probably have lost a few bucks, but got to enjoy some time with a couple of nice guitars so I'm content with that. I will say when I was selling I was taken aback by some "lowball" offers. For example if "the going rate" with respect to eBay sold listings is around $1500, and I was asking $1650...I consider a $1k offer a lowball offer, and borderline insulting. If that's what I'd have to do to get a good deal..I personally wouldn't do it. In the above mentioned scenario I wouldn't expect to pay less than around $1350 to $1500... Everyone is different though...I don't buy and sell for profit..I do it as a hobby, because I like to play 'em.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Getting a good deal comes after other criteria which have repeatedly narrowed my field of interest. These include:

No cutaway
No electronics
No runout
1 3/4" nut
Comfort
Tone
Playability....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion