The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2021, 05:20 PM

Default New favorite dynamic vocal mic

I have bought many vocal mics since I started playing/singing back in 2010. For whatever reason, I tend to look for something different than what everyone else uses. Anyway, I've amassed quite a collection of both dynamic and condenser hand held vocal mics over the years. The list includes:
EV Cobalt CO9, CO7, EV ND 767A, Blue Encore 100, 200, 300, AKG D5 Deluxe and C5, as well as the Perception wireless, Sennheiser e935, e945, e965, Heil PR22, PR35, Samson CL5, Neumann KMS105, Audix OM2, Shure Beta58a wired and GLDX wireless, Beta 87a, Miktek PM9, and my new favorite...

The Telefunken M81. Having used many great mics and several condenser mics, I know that I like the response of a condenser, but that sometimes, whether it's a cable issue, or a mixer issue, phantom power can pose an issue, so for live applications, dynamic mics are surely the way to go. With the M81, you get the response of a condenser in a dynamic. The mic is very ruggedly built, comes in a round tube (apparently the M80 tube looks like a fire cracker/firework), has a relatively squared off bottom end of its body and is very heavy. Handling response is amazing. Feedback rejection is amazing. The thing looks amazing [and it's available in really cool colors].

The PR35 (Heil) and PM9 (Miktek) are not far behind, but the M81 has a very crisp sizzle to it that is just so inviting it makes you want to sing and sing and sing.

In the same way a new guitar can inspire a guitar player to want to play more, this mic has re-ignited my flame to want to sing more.

You'll notice that I do not own the legendary "58." No disrespect to it, but I've used them dozens of times and to me, for my voice, and to my listening ears, they sound muddy and muffled. I know there are loads of famous artists who've used them, and notice I do have a 58a and actually really like the 87a -- so much that I have two of each.

Yes, the M81 costs 2 1/2 times more than a 58 and even costs more than a Sennheiser e945, but it is a true performer.

If you've got mic GAS, do yourself a favor and check out the Telefunken M81.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:38 PM

I went to Performance Audio here in Salt Lake to audition and buy "my new stage mic".

I've been using a Miktec PM9 mostly and every once in a while in just the right situations using a PM5.

The M81 sounded very good. It's got an upfrontness without being over the top. But I couldn't control the plosives as well as I liked.

I ended up with a DPA 2028.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 07-11-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Yamaha Guy. Someone here recommended the Shure KSM8, a relatively new design from them that has very little proximity effect, a larger sweet spot and much better reduction of plosives. It works as advertised and I love it. What I won't know until I perform live is whether that generous sweet spot will be a feedback hazard, and as a primarily solo singer/guitarist I'm hoping for the best. If it turns out to be an issue, I'll go back to the drawing board.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:29 AM

I find it baffling why people still queue up for the SM58 when there are so many other great options out there.

Unlike many singers (who are often unaware due to not auditioning the options!), the 58 suits my voice very well, being a light tenor, but my AKG D7 suits it a lot better. I auditioned a ton of mics before I bought my D7 and none of them felt as natural or dynamically responsive to my tonality as the AKG. I’ve had it for eight years or so now, and still love it.

I’m intrigued to try the M81 and newer Shure and DPA offerings. I’ve recorded and played live with Heil mics in the past and found them very good indeed, but have yet to try the PR35.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I find it baffling why people still queue up for the SM58 when there are so many other great options out there.
Me too, especially as a default choice without any comparisons made.

Quote:
I’ve recorded and played live with Heil mics in the past and found them very good indeed, but have yet to try the PR35.
The PR35 is one of my all time favorites but it does take a bit more caution than most other mics and are best suited to singers with good breath control. Very transparent and I particularly like them for quiet acoustic gigs, though I've also used it in a rock setting quite a bit.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-12-2021, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the great find. I like mine, even though I have no voice and cant sing. If not my favorite, certainly the heaviest in my box!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-15-2021, 10:03 AM

I might have to check this out...
I usually favor Mic's with sizzle on the top..I think I just hear it better..
Examples:
I have a Se V7 and V3... I prefer the V3 because of more top end sizzle
Beyerdynamic VD 30 I really like due to the high end..

It might be because I'm cheap lol and the cheaper mic's sizzle who knows
But I will check it out.. and $250 is a great price for something that works
Old 07-15-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I might have to check this out...
I usually favor Mic's with sizzle on the top...
You might want to check out the Audio Technica AE-6100 too then. The crispness was one of the things that made it one of my all time favorite mics.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-15-2021, 11:08 AM

For me, nothing beats the smoothness of the kms105. I own one of them and a PR35. Love them both!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 07-15-2021, 11:27 AM

A friend of mine now uses the Telefunken M80 (not the M81). I looked into that before I bought my mic (I'm the one who recently bought and reviewed the Shure KSM8).

Based on reviews, I didn't think I'd like the possible (probable, in my case) sibilance issues with the M80. I can definitely hear the sibilance when my friend uses his M80. Almost nobody in the audience but me would notice, but I do.

For me, the main reason I got the KSM8 was the reduced (but not completely eliminated) proximity effect. I was reluctant go get it because I thought perhaps it would be too reduced . . . I take advantage of the proximity effect, but it's often "overdone" in other mics (at least for me).

My second mic of choice would be the Sennheiser e935 or e835. They work well with my voice, too.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
A friend of mine now uses the Telefunken M80 (not the M81). I looked into that before I bought my mic (I'm the one who recently bought and reviewed the Shure KSM8).

Based on reviews, I didn't think I'd like the possible (probable, in my case) sibilance issues with the M80. I can definitely hear the sibilance when my friend uses his M80. Almost nobody in the audience but me would notice, but I do.

For me, the main reason I got the KSM8 was the reduced (but not completely eliminated) proximity effect. I was reluctant go get it because I thought perhaps it would be too reduced . . . I take advantage of the proximity effect, but it's often "overdone" in other mics (at least for me).

My second mic of choice would be the Sennheiser e935 or e835. They work well with my voice, too.
Oh yeah, you're the one, I'm out $399 thanks to you!

I love the KSM8. I need to do a little more EQ tweaking through the T1 Tonematch but man does it solve my main problems.

Until now I was using an EV N/D 457A. Absolutley perfect tone for me, but proximity effect and plosives were nagging me. I also liked the e935. And I have an SM58 because c'mon you have to!
Old 07-15-2021, 02:43 PM

I had the M80, but sold it because I didn’t like it on my voice. Does the M81 sound different, or is it just a different physical casing?

The mic I use is the Audix OM5. I like it on softer voices like my own because I think it brings out the clarity of the words. It is the mic Willie Nelson uses live, and that is a perfect example of a soft voice where you really want to understand all the words. I don’t like it on everyone’s voice though. Just on softer male voices.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I had the M80, but sold it because I didn’t like it on my voice. Does the M81 sound different, or is it just a different physical casing?

The mic I use is the Audix OM5. I like it on softer voices like my own because I think it brings out the clarity of the words. It is the mic Willie Nelson uses live, and that is a perfect example of a soft voice where you really want to understand all the words. I don’t like it on everyone’s voice though. Just on softer male voices.
According to Telefunken, the M81 actually tames the high end frequencies more than the M80, making it suitable for vocals and trebly instruments.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:57 PM

Anyone else get mic GAS when reading posts like this?

Have have a few decent handheld mics, but always keep thinking I can find a better one. A Miktek PM9 and an EV ND967 are two of my favs followed up by a Senn e935.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I love my Telefunken M80 mics. The best stage mics. ( I do not know the M81.)
Curiously I also use Telefunken guitar picks, exclusively! The big triangular ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification