The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Maybe to far fetched

.. but did you check Mark Hatchers Woodsman model ? There is a great example in his ..prepaing for B.I.G thread currently and also sound samples available if you search woodsman on youtube...

..or https://www.hatcherguitars.com/....

Last edited by Lonzo; 07-02-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added url
Old 07-02-2021, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
.. but did you check Mark Hatchers Woodsman model ? There is a great example in his ..prepaing for B.I.G thread currently and also sound samples available if you search woodsman on youtube...
No...but I will now! Thanks
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I went the other way.

My most cherished guitar is my Taylor Grand Concert.

I bought a Martin (actually I went through several) 000 and OM models *because* they approximated my GC.

I have one now that I love the sound of but its not as comfortable as my GC.

Try a Taylor Grand Concert. They too can be hit or miss. I love the 7 series but didnt love the 4 series or the 3 series. I am about to recieve a mahogany topped 3 series (322) which *might* displace my current Martin Custom Shop 000-15

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Lynn Dudenbostel and Jim Merrill should be on your list...and luthier and AGF members Frankie Montuoro and John Arnold too! There is no one better at vintage Martin replica than these four fellas.

Another vote for Bagnasco & Casati as well...super luthiers.

And...Pre War Guitar Company also...those guys have really consistently hit the vintage Martin tone out of the park on their guitars.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-03-2021, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Someone pointed me at these guys...looks like AMAZING quality of work.

Thanks
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Someone pointed me at these guys...looks like AMAZING quality of work.

Thanks
There's even one (OM) for sale, listed on AGF, although I guess it's in Ireland - could be a problem because Brexit, & it's Brazilian:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610282
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 07-03-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Lynn Dudenbostel and Jim Merrill should be on your list...and luthier and AGF members Frankie Montuoro and John Arnold too! There is no one better at vintage Martin replica than these four fellas.

And...Pre War Guitar Company also...those guys have really consistently hit the vintage Martin tone out of the park on their guitars.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Well, you covered all my favorites, so all I have is an AMEN!
I will add that my experience with B&C has been exceptional. Great communication, great input on creating exactly the instrument that you envision. A shorter wait list than some of the above, although that won't last as more of their recent work starts to circulate. My advice would be to get started ASAP if you're considering them.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:35 PM

Try listening to a bunch of 000-sized guitars here:

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/in...hopby/000.html
Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I have heard nothing but amazing reviews for Circa guitars-though I’ve never had my hands on one.
His name has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I’d like to support the recommendation of Bruce Sexauer. I have and Adi/hog OM of his that completely sets all benchmarks for me in what a traditional OM should sound and feel like. The playability of the neck, the tone, and just overall experience of this guitar has completely satisfied that portion of my stable. To my ears and hands-it is the perfect OM.
I understand there are many great options though-and I’d wager all of the names mentioned in this thread could deliver in spades what you’re asking for.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931

So, I listened to the comments and advice on this post (thank you all very much) and the "left field" advice from @USB_CHORD today collected a used Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931.

First impressions are that it is a lovely guitar. Feather light, great open woody sound. Reminds me a lot of the good vintage guitars I've played, but obviously doesn't have the structural problems (or the price tag) associated with good old instruments.

I shall be commissioning a custom build OM too, but having just sold my Clapton Signature I wanted another OM size whilst the build was happening. This is a HUGE upgrade from the Clapton and a delightful thing to look at and play...
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
So, I listened to the comments and advice on this post (thank you all very much) and the "left field" advice from @USB_CHORD today collected a used Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931.

First impressions are that it is a lovely guitar. Feather light, great open woody sound. Reminds me a lot of the good vintage guitars I've played, but obviously doesn't have the structural problems (or the price tag) associated with good old instruments.

I shall be commissioning a custom build OM too, but having just sold my Clapton Signature I wanted another OM size whilst the build was happening. This is a HUGE upgrade from the Clapton and a delightful thing to look at and play...
USB_chord is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, having played just about everything. He also happens to be a stellar player and a very nice fellow. Glad his advice was useful.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 AM

Goodallwill build you an exceptional OM or 000.
With Sitka and EIR, you can get a sound that rivals the other brands.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

It seems like a lot of us have lost touch with the meaning of "Traditional" in the guitar context.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It seems like a lot of us have lost touch with the meaning of "Traditional" in the guitar context.
Probably because it's vague and covers an enormous territory.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Probably because it's vague and covers an enormous territory.
Not to mention that tradition varies by culture. I IMAGINE that the OP's interest was in guitars cleaving to the pre-war Martin tradition. Particularly tonally, but also in concept regarding modern vs vintage functionality, and perhaps neck attachment and glue choices as well as a host of other details.

And he chose an Authentic, so there's that.

Modern vs Vintage functionality is the biggie for me. So many of the builders mentioned in this thread usually approach the guitar in the modern way, and it shows up in the results as a different sort of guitar. Not better or worse, just other. IMO, of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop