The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-03-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Strings low tension vs med or high

Ok, ‘El Basico’ question, here. Besides for the fact act the the string tensions are different, why would you choose one tension over another? Is there a tonal difference? If so what are the general differences?

I know I could keep buying different strings to see the difference but I’d like to take advantage of others experience.

Thanks

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-03-2021, 09:02 PM

The terms low, normal, medium do not mean that the tensions are similar brand to brand - within a single brand it has the most meaning. Guitar is meh with normals, go high for definition, low for richness. Guitar overlush, go normal or high. Guitar overly bright, drop down to normal or low. An occasional guitar will be unbalanced, the bass too strong/weak for the acceptable trebles -or- the trebles too strong/weak for the acceptable bass. In those instances mixed sets by La Bella and Savarez are available. I have a guitar that is unbalanced with excessive bass, cured by a set of La Bellas with higher tension 5 and 6 strings, their clarity solving the problem.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:52 PM

Thanks Bax.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-04-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Ok, ‘El Basico’ question, here. Besides for the fact act the the string tensions are different, why would you choose one tension over another? Is there a tonal difference? If so what are the general differences?

I know I could keep buying different strings to see the difference but I’d like to take advantage of others experience.

Thanks

Jack
My experience has shown it to be a complex issue - much more so than choosing strings for a steel string.

Low tension strings can be quieter but they can also bring out the sound in a guitar that they suit - they are also easier to play (but can obviously buzz) There is certainly something to them that is always worth checking out. High tension can be louder and often brighter in tone and can make some guitars sing, but at the expense of being harder on the left hand. I tend towards medium tension as I often find they offer me the best of both worlds - for me that is Royal Classic Recitals.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 AM

It really does depend on the guitar though. So taking our word from our experience is not going to be the same for you. As Bax mentioned this tension designation is not a standard and varies between brands. One thing you could do is stick to one brand like D'Adario for example, buy all their tension sets and try them over the next few months.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:38 AM

For same string material, is tension not just a function of string diameter? So for steel strings we use gauge as an expression of tension and many players are aware of the different experience they have with most commonly used light vs. medium gauges. Is the term gauge not used for synthetic strings because they are elastic and diameter changes with tension?
Old 06-04-2021, 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=Wrighty;6733290]My experience has shown it to be a complex issue - much more so than choosing strings for a steel string]

For sure. I tend to like lower-tension strings, and recently switched to the old Savarez 520B 'white card' basses, which sound very nice on my present guitar, if a little lightweight. Will be trying the RC Recital trebles (can't resist!).

Generalizing about nylon strings is really hard to do, I think.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:12 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Across the D'Addario line I always prefer hard or extra hard tension, I like the sound, the sustain, the feel, pretty much everything seems better to me. When I pick up another guitar with medium or light/low tension strings I don't mind, but I definitely don't prefer the experience. I suppose some instruments are better suited to particular string types, but a "normal" classical seems (in my experience) to be designed these days for use of high tension strings, which can jiggle the top much more bigly.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:00 AM

Default Strings low tension vs med or high

[QUOTE=Carey;6733688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
My experience has shown it to be a complex issue - much more so than choosing strings for a steel string]

For sure. I tend to like lower-tension strings, and recently switched to the old Savarez 520B 'white card' basses, which sound very nice on my present guitar, if a little lightweight. Will be trying the RC Recital trebles (can't resist!).

Generalizing about nylon strings is really hard to do, I think.

RC’s are fantastic - Sonata’s are also great if you like slightly higher tension and Recitals if not. Bass and trebles are a fantastic set on my guitar.

Last edited by Wrighty; 06-05-2021 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:01 PM

It's looking like the RC Sonata SL20 are the set I'll be trying first.
Will post my thoughts-
Old 06-06-2021, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
It's looking like the RC Sonata SL20 are the set I'll be trying first.

Will post my thoughts-

I loved them, particularly the growl in the bass strings. Stephen Eden puts them on all his new builds.

Look forward to hearing if they work for you.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Your Burguet

Hey Wrightly,

See that you own a Burguet AC 007.. Is that their concert model?

I have a 1996 Studio model 2M Cedar and love it.

You don't see them in salons here in the States any more... A shame, I think they are a wonderfully made instrument. They only place you see them is on Reverd. The nice thing is I know that Mr. Burguet himself probably hand crafted my 96.

Think I might try a set of those RC Sonata SL20 on my next change.

--Burguet 2M Cedar
--Seagull S6
--DeArmond M75 (moon blue)
--Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II Pro
--Cordoba C10 Parlor

Last edited by Always Learning; 06-10-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Hey Wrightly,

See that you own a Burguet AC 007.. Is that their concert model?

I have a 1996 Studio model 2M Cedar and love it.

You don't see them in salons here in the States any more... A shame, I think they are a wonderfully made instrument. They only place you see them is on Reverd. The nice thing is I know that Mr. Burguet himself probably hand crafted my 96.

Think I might try a set of those RC Sonata SL20 on my next change.

--Burguet 2M Cedar
--Seagull S6
--DeArmond M75 (moon blue)
--Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II Pro
--Cordoba C10 Parlor

Hi AL,

The AC was their second string concert instrument after the AB. Mines a 2003 cedar and Is a lovely guitar. Not many around as you say but they tend to be well thought of.

I think the RC’s work well on them - Recital or Sonata.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical