The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Hey all, just wanted to circle back here and give some accolades to Mojotone's customer service and specifically David, who has posted in this thread.

Some of the best service and communication I’ve experienced in recent memory, for any product. Two thumbs up!
Did you resolve your distortion issue and how is it working out with the SC13e?
Are you considering a permanent install in that guitar?
Old 07-22-2021, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I am also curious as to the resolution on this....any update?
When you did the test, was the NC-1 volume control maxed out?
I recall that I usually use it at less than max.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I have one of these on the way. Looking forward to trying it out. Will report back when I receive it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-23-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I am also curious as to the resolution on this....any update?
When you did the test, was the NC-1 volume control maxed out?
I recall that I usually use it at less than max.
My volume was maxed out but the distortion I was getting was not related to gain staging. The pickup was found to be defective and MT is sending me a new one.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Did you resolve your distortion issue and how is it working out with the SC13e?
Are you considering a permanent install in that guitar?
I'm actually considering leaving the stock electronics in place and wiring in the NC-1 using a TRS jack. I can then use a TRS cable to 'select' which pickup I want to use. I don't know if or how often I would actually switch between the two but I like the idea of a less invasive installation (i.e., not ripping out the existing electronics).

I do think the stock pickup isn't bad at all as far as standard fare USTs go - I've heard far worse - and certainly one could use a Tonedexter or similar of better results are required.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I'm actually considering leaving the stock electronics in place and wiring in the NC-1 using a TRS jack. I can then use a TRS cable to 'select' which pickup I want to use. I don't know if or how often I would actually switch between the two but I like the idea of a less invasive installation (i.e., not ripping out the existing electronics).

I do think the stock pickup isn't bad at all as far as standard fare USTs go - I've heard far worse - and certainly one could use a Tonedexter or similar of better results are required.
But wouldn't you still need to get to the endpin jack? That's where there's a bunch of hardware. Did you take a look inside?
Old 07-23-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
But wouldn't you still need to get to the endpin jack? That's where there's a bunch of hardware. Did you take a look inside?
Nope! Thanks for the heads up - I assumed it was just a jack that I could take out and retrofit the new one. So plan B will be to take out the stock electronics if I decide to go with the NC-1 permanently.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Just received the Mojo NC-1, initial thoughts, it sounds very nice, have to keep it quiet, my wife isn't feeling well...will know for sure when I put it through it's paces at tonight's gig...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Last edited by jricc; 07-25-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:10 AM

Hi I'm from the UK and just found out about this pickup. It sounds great!

Does it need any additional preamp/DI box/EQ type device or can I use it right out the box directly into a mixing desk?

Also is this a relatively new release as there doesn't seem to be any UK retailers selling this, if I was to get it off the site how long would shipping take to the UK?

Last edited by Degenerates; 07-24-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Hi I'm from the UK and just found out about this pickup. It sounds great!

Does it need any additional preamp/DI box/EQ type device or can I use it right out the box directly into a mixing desk?

Also is this a relatively new release as there doesn't seem to be any UK retailers selling this, if I was to get it off the site how long would shipping take to the UK?
Hi Degenerates. The pickup itself is active, powered by two cr2032 button batteries. It has enough gain to go direct to a mixer, (if you are not a 50 feet away from the it). Of course having additional eq wouldn't hurt, but not necessary. Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 07-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Degenerates. The pickup itself is active, powered by two cr2032 button batteries. It has enough gain to go direct to a mixer, (if you are not a 50 feet away from the it). Of course having additional eq wouldn't hurt, but not necessary. Hope this helps.
Thanks jricc, I'm a plug in and play guy so the less I have to tweak and fiddle with the better!!

Only thing is I believe the pickups are possibly made to order? They must have at least 6-8 weeks waiting time then an additional 3 week shipping time (possibly longer due to the pandemic) so it may not get it to me this side of 2022!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 AM

just ordered one of these (though on backorder so who knows how long it will take to get it)....excited to hear how it sounds.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
just ordered one of these (though on backorder so who knows how long it will take to get it)....excited to hear how it sounds.
Where did you order it from? Cos on the website it shows 25 of them in stock (it was 17 on the weekend) so I presume these are ready to ship unless they're made to order.

I expect it to take 2 weeks to reach the UK then I have to pay the handling/tax charges once it does.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Where did you order it from? Cos on the website it shows 25 of them in stock (it was 17 on the weekend) so I presume these are ready to ship unless they're made to order.

I expect it to take 2 weeks to reach the UK then I have to pay the handling/tax charges once it does.
which website is that? maybe you Brits have different preferred vendors? i checked Amazon (nothing), Reverb, Zzsounds, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater and all of them are backordered (i did not check any "used" items though).
Old 07-27-2021, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Hey Joe… how did the gig go?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification