The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Any experience with a J.C. Baxendale?

I have a J.C. Baxendale 00 12 fret that is an outstanding instrument (I'm not the original owner, got it on a trade). Anyone else on here own, have owned, or spent some time with on of his instruments?

There isn't a lot of info out there on them.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Mark O' Connor has recently posted a couple videos of himself playing a dread style Baxendale. That's the first time I'd heard of the maker.
2015 Dumas Black Locust/Sitka Dread
2015 Dumas Poplar/Sitka Parlor
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMcGee View Post
Mark O' Connor has recently posted a couple videos of himself playing a dread style Baxendale. That's the first time I'd heard of the maker.
There's couple. Scott worked for Gruhn for years and later bought up Mossman Guitars and moved them to Texas. J.C. is apparently based on Colorado and appears to build in small numbers.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
There's couple. Scott worked for Gruhn for years and later bought up Mossman Guitars and moved them to Texas. J.C. is apparently based on Colorado and appears to build in small numbers.
That's Scott, who now has a shop here in Athens GA. JC is in Colorado, I believe JC is his son.

I've played a few of Scott's guitars, very nice instruments, indeed.

Never had the chance to play a JC Baxendale. I'll have to make a point of stopping by Cotton Music next time I'm up that way.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 01-08-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM

I own two JC Baxendale guitars and both are outstanding. I’ve owned over twenty Collings, numerous Martins, Goodalls, Larrivees, Beneteaus, etc. and the craftsmanship and TONE of Baxendale instruments ranks among the very best. Both guitars, 00’s, were commissioned and JC is great to work with. He is very open to ideas and offers guidance when decisions are made on how the build will go. North American Guitars (formerly Cotton Music) sells them or one can contact JC directly via his website. Highly recommended!!
Old 11-26-2020, 09:50 PM

I also recommend. I have 4 and 2 more on the way. A kalamazoo, oahu, 2 harmonies, an h55 and a roy smeck harmony on the way.... all unique, great setups, nice open tone (opposite of stiff), good dynamic range
Old 11-28-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

John (JC) is one of my absolute favorite builders! I came across one of his incredible sunburst D-18s in Nashville a few years ago, which I bought and used on stage for a while. I've played a number of guitars since then (dreadnoughts, OMs, 000s, etc.), and all have been amazing. Definitely reach out to him if you want a custom build. He's very responsive and great to work with!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I played several at Cotton Music (now TNAG-Nashville) and they were All amazing guitars in the Traditional vibe!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop