The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Some time ago I read somewhere that Mr. Chet Atkins C.G.P. once said that RLDA was the only tune ever composed for the guitar.

In addition to being an outstanding guitarist and musician, the resources that Mr. Niedt makes available via his website for study and guitar techniques are arguably the best resources available. In his fault he has a two or three part series on tremolo that totally blew my mind. He explores at least a dozen different types of tremolo as well as going into meticulous precise detail and how to play different tremolos.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Some time ago I read somewhere that Mr. Chet Atkins C.G.P. once said that RLDA was the only tune ever composed for the guitar.

Thats interesting. Even on the Delcamp site, there are a few who take potshots at Recuerdos DLA. "Too corny, too this, too that." I wonder if any of those critcs can actually play it well. Its one thing to say, "I can do a tremolo, big deal." And another to keep a tremolo going for a long time in an actual composition. There arent that many other "famous' candidate compositions that feature tremolo the whole way for several minutes. There are a 100 other CG pieces that are "too this, too that." Its all the canon. Sure, tremolo is just a trick. But so is the rest of what magicians do.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:34 AM

I feel like recuerdos is a stepping stone song. People get introduce to the “tremolo” technique from this piece. Never knew of this technique until I saw it on YouTube when searching for songs to bring to my teacher lol.

Ive seen dozens of people play this song, but only liked 1 or 2 performances. Also it’s different when you see it in person. A luthier fixing my guitar performed a tremolo piece and it blew my mind being there in person.

First song I learned was Romance which is the stairway to heaven for classical guitar. Sick of the song, sick of hearing it and playing it, but when I listened to it at one of the guitar recitals. I really enjoyed it lol.

Also I’ve met some people who just hate tremolo songs... aka my teacher lol
Old 03-07-2020, 07:03 AM

I wouldn't chuck the piece if I were you. You've already learned it and it's only a matter of time before you get it up to speed.

My only thought on the piece is this...

For most pieces, one can get away with playing them at slower tempo. Recuerdos is not one of them. I'll quote my professor....."Recuerdos should be played fast. Otherwise the piece will just drag."

...but I know you'll get there in no time. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical