The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2019, 06:37 PM

My 1934 L-00 looks like it was dragged down the road for miles, and then used to fend off a drunk in a bar. And I would not trade it for any modern guitar.

A prewar D-18? That’s another story!

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 10-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
When Gibson went to flat tops they did a lot of experimentation. The early or later L-00 body could have 12, 13, or 14 frets, the body switch was 1929. They changed the body shape, moved the soundhole, changed its size, changed scale lengths, changed length of fretboard, changed bridges, added a pick guard, some were ladder braced, H-braced, A-braced, or X-braced. Even the head shape was fluid.

Not to mention the Nick Lucas Specials which had all of the above variations plus an extra deep body.

I bought a broken 1933 L-00 14 fret with an elevated fretboard at a local auction for $41. Just to show how amazing these guitars are, as a rank amateur I patched the sides and top and put on a new back and this guitar is still among the best sounding instruments I have ever heard. But there are still table saw marks on the faces of the braces and glue squeeze out all around.

I have some photos but have never been able to figure out how to post on this platform.

Ed
CLICK ON Ge,eral Acoustic Guitar Discussion in the forum menu : first thread is dedicated to posting photos...
I'd love to see yours...
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
I have some photos but have never been able to figure out how to post on this platform.

Ed
Ed, take a look at this thread. Since you are not a charter member, you have two ways to post pictures... a third-party host or the Tapatalk app. If you have any questions, please PM me. I'll be glad to help you.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 PM

I have described my '33 L-00 almost the same way in other posts! Cheers [emoji1783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
My 1934 L-00 looks like it was dragged down the road for miles, and then used to fend off a drunk in a bar. And I would not trade it for any modern guitar.

A prewar D-18? That’s another story!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:26 PM

I’m going to get booed out of here. But I order a Gibson l-00 clone, The Loar lo-18. It wasn’t dirty enough for the blues I wanted to play so I got a Waterloo wl-s for $1200. But now that I’m broke I’m needing to sell the The Loar. I’m trying to hang in there being broke though because I freekin love this The Loar. It sounds so beautiful. Sustain for days, each pluck just has its own zip code. Im guessing it’s the Adirondack-top that lets me flat strum it. Plays like butter. Plus I like saying “the The Loar”! I recommend this to anyone who wants to buy their kid a first guitar. I recommend to anyone really.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM

I have a Gibson L-2 (its L-1 sized, but with 14 frets). Awhile back I tried an L-00 and a Martin CEO-7 in Sam Ash. Imo, they both sounded a lot thinner than my L2. If I were in the market, I would at least TRY an L-1. I have occasionally seen L-1 “Robert Johnson models” on eBay in the $1000-1200 range

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion