The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM

I almost always use D'Addario normal or hard tension depending on the guitar. Best bang for the buck strings if you ask me and on par with any other.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:35 PM

I've been using La Bella 2001 medium hards on my Cordoba C9 parlor for the last year or so. They're maybe a little dark, but not too much so. The tone is rich, and the tension about right for the guitar.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Augustine Imperial (medium nylon trebles) + Augustine Blue (high wound basses) or Augustine Red (medium wound basses). Carbons sound like fishing line...
Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Inse Oasis carbon high tension on my New World Player. They sound less muddy than other strings I've tried and the difference between the wound 4th and the carbon 3rd is about the smoothest I've heard.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Aquila Ambra, because the G is good. Most strings I've tried, the G sounds tubby and lacking brightness.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeblues View Post
cool, I thought you were still searching. Same here. I'm dyed in the wool and don't pay any attention to unsolicited recomendations. Right about corum bass, never tried them, can never remember the exact # for just the Cristal treble set. 500 something.
Hi. The strings you mention are Savarez 500CJ Corum Basses and Cristal trebles
in High tension. That is the string set that I use. Came originally with my Cordoba C7 Cedar and after experimenting with D,Addario, La Bella, Agustine
and others went back to Savarez as they have the best sound on my guitar
Regards
Norman2
Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Savarez 510 AR Normal Tension
Alliance trebles with Cantiga basses
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-30-2016, 04:29 AM

Ditto for me. Savarez 510AR Cantiga. Normal tension. They sound great on my Cordoba GK Pro Negra & C10 crossover.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-30-2016, 04:47 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)

I also use Savarez 510AR Normal Tension, no finger nails.

Another question, do you play with fingernails or skin and does this effect the type of strings that sound best for you.

With fingernails do you need brighter trebles, and visa versa if you don't use fingernails does the use of Cristal trebles help with bringing out the trebles.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:57 AM

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsC...?ActiveID=1906

D'Addario Pro Arte hard tension, sometimes a mix of sets, but as I'm down to just the Cervantes Crossover at the moment, I don't have many different sets on hand as I did when I had multiple nylon string guitars.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 AM

no nails for me... mine are too thin to grow long enough to use.

I tried the Cristal trebles and they were okay, but the Alliance trebles with the Cantiga bass seem to be brighter on my guitars

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
I also use Savarez 510AR Normal Tension, no finger nails.

Another question, do you play with fingernails or skin and does this effect the type of strings that sound best for you.

With fingernails do you need brighter trebles, and visa versa if you don't use fingernails does the use of Cristal trebles help with bringing out the trebles.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 AM

I use D'Addario Pro Arte hard tension on my old Oskar Teller 6/P. I like them because they last a long time. The sound is ok, but I prefer Savarez (hard tension), but can't use them since they fray and break too much. I'm not a classical player, but more of a folk/blues player and I play really hard - somtimes even with a pick (Willie Nelson style).

I'd love to have the sound of savarez, but the durability of the Pro Artes...

I'm thinking about trying Aquila's classical strings, but I don't know which set - they make so many. Perhaps the Alabastro nylguts. Anyone have any experience with those?
Eastman 515 mandolin
+many ukuleles

http://www.youtube.com/baronk69
Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I've been pretty consistent with my use of D'Addario Pro Artes for classical over the years, and had been using them on my flamenco guitars as well. But early this year I tried the Luthier Populare 20 sets on the flamencos and find them to have more brilliance, sizzle, and liveliness. I'm doubtful that they last longer than the Pro Artes, but tone is everything for me. I've also tried other flamenco strings, but so far I keep coming back to the Luthier strings. In fact, I just ordered six more sets from Strings By Mail this morning. I tend to be a stock-piler... so my plan is to keep stocking-up until I have 10-20 sets of those in my string drawer.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
... I tried the Luthier Populare 20 sets on the flamencos and find them to have more brilliance, sizzle, and liveliness. I'm doubtful that they last longer than the Pro Artes, but tone is everything for me. ...
Yeah, tone is very important for me too, but as a gigging bar troubadour it's a problem if I keep breaking the strings.

I don't think I can get the luthier strings here in sweden, but I can get them on mail order rom germany it seems. Might be worth checking out. I'm not a flamenco player, but I like the brightness of the flamenco sound, and my Oskar Teller is pretty bassy so it could use some brightening.
Eastman 515 mandolin
+many ukuleles

http://www.youtube.com/baronk69
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron K View Post
Yeah, tone is very important for me too, but as a gigging bar troubadour it's a problem if I keep breaking the strings.

I don't think I can get the luthier strings here in sweden, but I can get them on mail order rom germany it seems. Might be worth checking out. I'm not a flamenco player, but I like the brightness of the flamenco sound, and my Oskar Teller is pretty bassy so it could use some brightening.
I tend to change my strings at least every other gig, if not before every gig. I don't think I've ever broken a nylon string (at least while gigging)... whether using my fingernails or a pick. The angle of the strings over my saddles is usually pretty shallow, since I go for very low action. Do you have a sharp string angle over your saddle?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical