The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks Oddmanout. I too like a little something going on with the headstock laminate. I had a number of options for this one. I decided to mirror the back to a lesser degree. I found a section that had this minute red tinge to it, and I really wanted to include that. There is also a swath of greenish yellow to one side. I hope it holds up under pore fill and finish, cuz the colors are sweet.

Oh Chris and Tom, appreciate you both looking out for me earlier, but I think if Beth's check bounces, this one may just stay here

Also, thanks Jay, Nemoman, Claretman, DCN, GaultierRedon14, Rod, and JrDavis for the comments. The wood is really the star of this show. I think all of us builders try to bring the best out of any set we work with. This stuff didn't need much help!

Ken

Last edited by Kenneth Casper; 03-20-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 PM

Ken just sent a picture of the back of the headstock- it's so gorgeous that I couldn't resist sharing! He used Cocobolo bound with ebony. Ken has named each of his models after one of the Great Lakes This inlay is a Lake Huron as this is his Huron guitar. I think it looks a bit like an angel fish... or maybe a bird.... TomB'Sox probably has thoughts

Thanks so much for following along- beth

Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Wow, how did I get the reputation for seeing weird stuff in wood, oh yeah, probably cuz I see weird stuff in wood....

Besides Lake Huron, I see a Knight in a helmet. He is facing to the right, has a feather plume blowing off the top of the helmet heading off to the left and there is a neck guard on the front of the helmet. I don't know how anyone could see anything else I think Angel fish is a close second though, I saw that too Beth.

What I see mostly is a beautiful headstock!!!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 AM

The purple in the inlay will reall be a nice subtle compliment to the purple in the IRW.

Tom,.. I told you man, you have got to give that stuff up! I bet the ice cream is gone from the freezer too?

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
The purple in the inlay will reall be a nice subtle compliment to the purple in the IRW.

Tom,.. I told you man, you have got to give that stuff up! I bet the ice cream is gone from the freezer too?
What? No artificial help needed, just weird by nature....come on, blow it up and look at it, you can even see the face guard....now where are those cheetos.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Who knows what you gents would have seen had I included Georgian Bay in the inlay! I'll probably get the headstock done later this week, and other than some final sanding and shaping of the neck and bindings, this guitar will largely be built. Time to get some lacquer ordered.

Ken
Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post
Who knows what you gents would have seen had I included Georgian Bay in the inlay! I'll probably get the headstock done later this week, and other than some final sanding and shaping of the neck and bindings, this guitar will largely be built. Time to get some lacquer ordered.

Ken
Wait, these are the Russian great lakes????

The Acoustics

Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, how did I get the reputation for seeing weird stuff in wood, oh yeah, probably cuz I see weird stuff in wood....

Quote:
What I see mostly is a beautiful headstock!!!!!
Agreed...quite beautiful!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 03-23-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanks so much all- it's great to be able to share this build with you! I show my husband the latest picture and he says "that's nice, dear" and goes back to checking who the Packers might draft this year. But you all get how cool this is!

And Chris.... Georgian Bay is in Canada. It's an extension of Lake Huron, but it's located in Ontario. Given the large number of Canadians on the forum, we Americans should probably hide our ignorance of things Canadian, eh?

Last edited by mountainguitar; 03-23-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammar police : )
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

Georgian Bay is a beautiful bay with hundreds of granite islands dotting the eastern shore. It's long been a draw to artists (pun intended!).
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM

But Beth,...

I try to ONLY show my American ignorance to Canadians. Guess I fell short on this one

Hope we can Jam this year.

Wait did you say Packers???

Chris

The Acoustics

Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 AM

Hey Chris-

I married a 3rd generation Packer fan- he was born and raised in the Milwaukee suburbs. He can recite every player and their number on those first two Super Bowl teams, and the ones on the more recent teams too.

But he doesn't have to jam with us!

beth
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Hey Chris-

I married a 3rd generation Packer fan- he was born and raised in the Milwaukee suburbs. He can recite every player and their number on those first two Super Bowl teams, and the ones on the more recent teams too.

beth
Well,... Okay then. Perhaps he can work the grill

The Acoustics

Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 AM

He could work the grill- his specialty is brats
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

My alma mater, The Alabama Crimson Tide, have sent some pretty good players to your Packers over the years. Since we don't have a pro team here in Alabama, I tend to follow certain pro teams who have fielded some of my favorite Bama players...you've had Don Hutson, Bart Starr and Eddie Lacy, among others.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Hey Chris-

beth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge