The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-20-2021, 03:26 PM

First off, you should have fun on your search and follow where it leads you.

If your goal is as far from a humbucker Les Paul as possible then a longer scale, single coil Fender would be the obvious classic choice. And a large hollow-body will feel and sound different, particularly if it doesn't have humbuckers. And while there are Les Pauls with whammy bars, that not what you have, so that's another way to have a different experience.

But stop listening to us, try some guitars.

Steve's already recommended those fine Gretsch choices. The Strat fanciers have chimed in (likely the most popular electric guitar of all time, it's gotta be doing something right). For much of my life I'd be giving you the Telecaster gospel, but lately I've had the urge to tell too many people that for $500 get a Fender Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster.

All that is us saying, yeah, these different guitars are fun, they have neat sounds and features--and colors and shapes too (even if that makes me seem shallow, I'll say it.) So have some fun looking for another, buying another, playing it and so on!

Maybe you'll end up with a P90 Les Paul (obviously not the least like a Les Paul choice that you ask about). Who can tell. It's your journey!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-20-2021, 06:05 PM

6000 series Gretsch!
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
check out a MIK Gretsch Electromatic.
I love my Gretsch. It is so versatile.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 07-23-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
First off, you should have fun on your search and follow where it leads you.

If your goal is as far from a humbucker Les Paul as possible then a longer scale, single coil Fender would be the obvious classic choice. And a large hollow-body will feel and sound different, particularly if it doesn't have humbuckers. And while there are Les Pauls with whammy bars, that not what you have, so that's another way to have a different experience.

But stop listening to us, try some guitars.

Steve's already recommended those fine Gretsch choices. The Strat fanciers have chimed in (likely the most popular electric guitar of all time, it's gotta be doing something right). For much of my life I'd be giving you the Telecaster gospel, but lately I've had the urge to tell too many people that for $500 get a Fender Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster.

All that is us saying, yeah, these different guitars are fun, they have neat sounds and features--and colors and shapes too (even if that makes me seem shallow, I'll say it.) So have some fun looking for another, buying another, playing it and so on!

Maybe you'll end up with a P90 Les Paul (obviously not the least like a Les Paul choice that you ask about). Who can tell. It's your journey!
Excellent response! Life is a journey, not a destination-

I have a Grestch after a life time of off and on (mostly off) of acoustics.
The Gretsch Rat Rod caught my eye, but the GC I went to didn't have one, but they did have a 2657 which I pondered on for a few days when I received an ad in the mail for 399 for the 2657- I talked the salesman into an before Labor Day sale (3 or 4 days) and I really like it- I'm still waiting on the Rat Rod though and am on the waiting list with Sweetwater- now, after reading this thread, I may have to start looking at the strats and telecasters closer

Last edited by Gdjjr; 08-12-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 AM

My "next" guitar is in transit.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:43 AM

+1 on a Gretsch hollow body, with Filter'trons. I had a Les Paul and sold it because I thought it was bland. I think one solid body (I think a Tele is more interesting) and one hollow body is all a boy needs in the electric world. And I find a Gretsch to be a perfect counter to an acoustic guitar. I have a '67 6120 Nashville, but the Korean hollow bodies are really pretty great.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-28-2021, 01:43 AM

As much as I love Gretsch semi's and Telecasters, I feel everyone should own a Stratocaster at least once in their lifetime.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like my next one is going to be a Stratocaster. Still deciding between an HSS and SSS, that will wait until I try it out in stores.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:26 AM

I personally own about 36 electrics not counting basses and acoustics.

My most versatile guitars that cover the most tonal territory, are my SSH Strat style guitars.

These 2 are in my top 6 in my electric guitar collection.

'15 Suhr Classic Pro w/ vintage style single coils and vintage humbucker:

'19 Rohlack Symphony SSH w/ vintage single coils and vintage humbucker:

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 07-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
Thanks for the input guys. It looks like my next one is going to be a Stratocaster. Still deciding between an HSS and SSS, that will wait until I try it out in stores.
Excellent. Do you know what series you're going for? i.e. American Professional II, Player, etc.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Excellent. Do you know what series you're going for? i.e. American Professional II, Player, etc.
Fender first comes to mind both price and tone. I'm really open to any brands but I've got my eyes on the Player series since I really like the "quacky", glassy sound. I've also seen some comparisons between Fender and Vintage brand V6 strats and I was impressed by the Vintage ones. However, after trying them out in the stores, it sounded different and I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe the one I tried was a bad model so I'm willing to give it another shot if they have another one in stock.

I'm also intrigued by Suhr, Ibanez AZ series and slightly for Xotics. They are on the expensive side, but we'll see....

I saw a video on YouTube comparing a Fender American Ultra and a Suhr. They both sounded good to me, but the Suhr was a bit more open sounding which I liked bit better. However, on some videos, I preferred the Fender.

I guess it really comes down to how it feels and sounds in real life.

In terms of price point, I'd like to keep it between $800-$1000 ish. Close to $2000 is pushing it, but if those high end models really speak to me, then I'll have to find a way to get those haha.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
Fender first comes to mind both price and tone. I'm really open to any brands but I've got my eyes on the Player series since I really like the "quacky", glassy sound. I've also seen some comparisons between Fender and Vintage brand V6 strats and I was impressed by the Vintage ones. However, after trying them out in the stores, it sounded different and I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe the one I tried was a bad model so I'm willing to give it another shot if they have another one in stock.

I'm also intrigued by Suhr, Ibanez AZ series and slightly for Xotics. They are on the expensive side, but we'll see....

I saw a video on YouTube comparing a Fender American Ultra and a Suhr. They both sounded good to me, but the Suhr was a bit more open sounding which I liked bit better. However, on some videos, I preferred the Fender.

I guess it really comes down to how it feels and sounds in real life.

In terms of price point, I'd like to keep it between $800-$1000 ish. Close to $2000 is pushing it, but if those high end models really speak to me, then I'll have to find a way to get those haha.
A Suhr will give you a different feeling than a Fender and are amazing guitars, at a cost. Given that you have a semi-wide scope, you might want to look at a US made G&L as well.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:49 AM

Next guitar + 1

Waiting to be picked up at my local dealer.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:41 AM

I have been playing my Tele exclusively.
The Gibsons,PRS, and Strats are staying in cases.
SG,LP TV Special,LP Jr., Melody Maker,Gold Top McCarty, SE, Brondel Honeycaster Strat...

The MIM Tele with Harmonic Design Vintage Plus pickups and an $89 Rosewood fingerboard is the easiest to play with the best sound. Blues, rock jazz,surf, bluegrass, it is the winner.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 AM

I don't understand why more people don't own these. Hot rodded with fantastic pickups, the best tuners and bridge parts and pieces on the market. Maybe because it's not MIA.

Anyway, the 6 series Yamaha Pacifica. Specifically the one with the humbucker and P90.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars