The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-06-2021, 12:07 AM

Five people that have the power to demonstrate to one the theory of “Diminishing rate of returns”:
1. Food servers
2. Your wife
3. Highway patrolmen
4. Anesthesia providers
5. Luthiers
Govern yourself accordingly.

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 06-06-2021, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

My experience is that I have several conversations, as many as it takes, to nail down the specs of the build. It’s usually 4-6 times. At some point, usually as we drawn up the contract, I’ll ask them what the expected start date and completion date is. I’ll also ask them to show me sets of wood and occasional photos when available and as time/schedule permits. If I’m told the build will begin in 12 months, I probably won’t contact the builder until we are getting close to launch to ask how we are looking, unless I just want to say hello or chat. I might reach out as delivery time approaches to check in. However, it has been my experience that the builder contacts me and provides unprompted updates throughout the process. If the delivery will be delayed or early, I’m typically informed ahead of time. The builders I use wouldn’t mind if I contacted them more frequently, but I’m satisfied with what’s stated above.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
My experience is that I have several conversations, as many as it takes, to nail down the specs of the build. It’s usually 4-6 times. At some point, usually as we drawn up the contract, I’ll ask them what the expected start date and completion date is. I’ll also ask them to show me sets of wood and occasional photos when available and as time/schedule permits. If I’m told the build will begin in 12 months, I probably won’t contact the builder until we are getting close to launch to ask how we are looking, unless I just want to say hello or chat. I might reach out as delivery time approaches to check in. However, it has been my experience that the builder contacts me and provides unprompted updates throughout the process. If the delivery will be delayed or early, I’m typically informed ahead of time. The builders I use wouldn’t mind if I contacted them more frequently, but I’m satisfied with what’s stated above.
This has pretty much been my experience as well. I had a variety of conversations with different luthiers after I knew their guitars would fit the bill for me and good communication and time expectations and practices were discussed. Managing expectations on both ends goes a long way towards creating a successful result.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM

Larrivee once told me 6 weeks. I started monthy calls at 4 months.

Finally, 8 months later, I received a gem!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop