The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Guest 928

Default classic hourglass parlor guitar

I find the classic hourglass parlor guitar shape to be quite fetching--with a small upper bout and larger lower bout--something like the Godin Motif. Any suggestions as to contemporary possibilities other than the Godin?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Martin has done the 00-28c in the past... I think similar to what you are talking about?

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...vfos92tzkl.jpg
Old 06-05-2021, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

kEN;

Yes, the older versions which are beautiful but way out of my price range. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 PM

Rainsong still make the parlors?
Old 06-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Guest 928

I had the Rainsong Parlor nylon guitar and it was sweet. Right now I'm going after that classical hourglass shape.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had the Rainsong Parlor nylon guitar and it was sweet. Right now I'm going after that classical hourglass shape.
Hondo made one for awhile at a reasonable price, though I'm not 100% certain it was a nylon-stringer.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Greetings from New York…!!!

HI Evan,

I’ve been on this journey for some time now. It has been very hard for me to find something that meets all the secifications I’m looking for, so I’m in the process of getting a custom build right now. What I’m looking for will be a 6-string version of the one seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlQ8uH_pVI

Bernhard Kresse is well known for building reproductions of 19th century instruments. He is in Germany, and I don’t know what your budget is, or whether you’re looking for a steel or nylon string instrument. But I’m sending you a page from his web site that shows some of the models of popular luthiers from that era, such as Stauffer, Lacote, and Panormo.
https://www.kresse-gitarren.de/en/19...reproductions/

There is another German luthier, Wolfgang Yellinghaus, who also builds reproductions. I’ve seen a few beautiful reproductions of Antonio de Torres instruments, and even the famous Tarrega guitar. I’m in New York, and I think I remember that you are in California. If I'm correct, you are very lucky to be in California. You can go to the International Guitar Salon in Santa Monica and play some of these beautiful Instruments. I’ve spoken to a gentleman named Andrew there, and he was very professional and cordial. Here is a link for two different instruments.
Torres: https://www.guitarsalon.com/product/...aus-torres-77/
La Romantica: https://www.guitarsalon.com/product/...a-romantica-2/

Again, if you're in California, Kenny Hill, who also builds Romantic era reproductions, is located there. There is a used Panormo on Reverb, seen here: https://reverb.com/item/6823657-kenn...Rjghm198C_ZFpg

I hope that is helpful. I would be interested to hear more about where you are heading.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:17 PM
Guest 928

Mike;

Just WOW! The Staffer, Lacote, Panormo, and Wolfgang instruments are iconic. And beyond what I am currently willing to pay. I've just finished exploring 10 carbon fiber nylon string instruments and did not mind paying the price. But in moving back to wooden instruments, and a shape that I have not previously tried, I am not willing to reach for the high fruit.

I tried the Sinsonado and have recently purchased the Mini II EB-CE. The Sinsonado was cool but not as nice as the Yamaha silent guitar. I'm liking the Mini, and on the lookout for the Motif.

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-06-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Yes Evan, I really love that figure 8, smaller body too. I also love reading about the history, and about people like Torres and Tarrega.

I've had my Cordoba Mini II for some time and I'm amazed at what they are giving you for a $170. I'm just not totally comfortable with the 22.8 scale, but it has served me well as a practice guitar.

I think Godin gives you a lot of value for your dollar. I had a Multiac and thought it was a great guitar, and a reasonable price. If I could handle the 2-inch nut and full scale, I would take a shot at that Motif too.

I hope you have good luck with that.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

Mike: I had a Multiac and while it was a marvelous guitar it was heavy sucker.

Carey: I'm looking for the hourglass Hondo--thanks for the tip.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Mike: I had a Multiac and while it was a marvelous guitar it was heavy sucker.
I totally agree Evan. As I get older, I want something lighter. That is part of the beauty of the silent guitar. The Aria is about 3 pounds!...But it doesn't sound as good.

That is the frustrating thing sometimes, trying to get all of the best characteristics in ONE instrument.

But I guess that is part of the fun of the journey too.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-11-2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:20 AM

Here's a couple of other suggestions, although you'll most likely have to up the ante for a serious full time instrument.

The Ibanez PN1 is a inexpensive way to test the form factor of a hourglass body in a close to full scale steel strung guitar. It is also available with a mahogany top.

The Journey OC520 offers hourglass 00 body, cedar top, full scale length nylon strung, but in a removable neck travel guitar. It might be worth investigating.

You might be able to further refine thoughts on exactly what to look for by reviewing Martin's early Ditson models:

http://www.vintagemartin.com/MartinDitson.html

You can hear some early Ditsons as well as Martin's current version of the Ditson-styled guitars in some of Sting's Youtube videos.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-07-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

Rudy;

You have my full attention. I like the look of the Ibanez, but unfortunately it only comes in a steel strung version. I've had a Journey and like Journey instruments, but do not want a collapsible guitar. The Martins are lovely, but I'd have to sell my house in order to afford one.

In about an hour I'll be heading down to GC to check out a trade of my Kremona Sophia for a Godin Motif.

I think it would be ridiculous to select a guitar by shape alone, but the Motif seems to have a lot of things right in terms of sound and tonal projection, in terms of intonation and in terms of scale length. It's an itch that I plan on scratching.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:19 PM
Guest 928

The trip to GC was a waste of time. The young man evaluating the trade-in spent about 30 minutes on line and going over the Kremona. the guitar is a custom factory order basically unused, with the hard case and still wearing the factory tags. When the man was told what to offer he was embarrassed and told me right up front that I would not be going for a trade--GC offered $250 for a guitar they sell for $900. I could have gone for $400, but the offer wasn't even close.

I can't get angry about the situation since GC has a formula for making money and it must be working for the company. The only thing that I find irksome is that I had expected a more equitable transaction. I need to rein in my expectations.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Rudy;

You have my full attention. I like the look of the Ibanez, but unfortunately it only comes in a steel strung version. I've had a Journey and like Journey instruments, but do not want a collapsible guitar. The Martins are lovely, but I'd have to sell my house in order to afford one.

In about an hour I'll be heading down to GC to check out a trade of my Kremona Sophia for a Godin Motif.

I think it would be ridiculous to select a guitar by shape alone, but the Motif seems to have a lot of things right in terms of sound and tonal projection, in terms of intonation and in terms of scale length. It's an itch that I plan on scratching.
Hi Evan,

I didn't see anything in your original post that indicated you wanted to go with nylon strings.

It seems like you're really wanting to experiment with the form factor of the body, so a very inexpensive guitar like the Ibanez might serve you well until you decide to move to a much better instrument.

Using synthetic strings should be doable with the Ibanez if you use stopper beads at the bridge end like some ukuleles require. If you think that's something that you might be interested in then I can post a pdf here that I made up for that type of string fastening with a pin bridge.

The string posts of the tuning machines aren't ultimately great, but they can be used if you take the slack out of the strings before winding.

A good set of synthetics coupled with titanium trebles should produce acceptable tone. It's not going to have the resonance of a good classical or crossover, but it would be a cheap experiment.

You may have to slightly widen the nut slots, but that's not a major deal.

The Motif might be a good compromise, although I seem to remember reading that Godan now epoxies their necks to the body. You might want to check that out considering the price point. Then again, you might not care.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-07-2021 at 02:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical