The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 AM

Default Next classical guitar

So I own a Cordoba c10 spruce and was wondering what the next tier or guitar or upgrade after this one is. I had a chance to play with a c12 and didn’t notice anything too crazy to make me want to buy one. Is the next logical step to get a custom luthier guitar?

My budget is 1800-2500 and I’m not in a hurry to buy one, but want to start looking and playing around.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6twenty7 View Post
Is the next logical step to get a custom luthier guitar?
very definitely "yes".

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2020 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:15 AM

I was in the same position as you were... I loved my C-10 Cedar, but wanted something a little more.

Since, I'm not strictly a classical player, going with a luthier made guitar seemed to be a little over the top for me.

I decided to upgrade to the Cordoba C-12 Cedar simply because of the lattice bracing and the elevated fretboard. So far, I'm very happy with my decision.

The sounds is noticeably sweeter and accessing frets 12-15 seem to be easier than it was on my C-10.

good luck in your search!!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-30-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Kenny Hill New World Player series are in that price range when new, obviously cheaper used. I like my short scale, spruce over rosewood.
I’m not sure how that make would compare to your C10. Sounds like you have you need to go play lots of guitars.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I own a Cordoba c10 spruce and was wondering what the next tier or guitar or upgrade after this one is. I had a chance to play with a c12 and didn’t notice anything too crazy to make me want to buy one. Is the next logical step to get a custom luthier guitar?

My budget is 1800-2500 and I’m not in a hurry to buy one, but want to start looking and playing around.
In Grenada Spain I came across Paco Castillo guitars- They were pretty great- built in traditional Spanish style- complete with the “Spanish foot”.
I regret not picking one up.
I think there is one in Reverb.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:27 AM

Does the OP want a particular sound? What's not quite 'there' about the C10 and C12? From my experience with the Spruce C12, if I wanted to branch out I would seek sharper clarity, which could mean a laminate top or a drier Flamenco.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 01-30-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
very definitely "yes".

Cheers,
Steve
looking through the sale section right now and have no idea what to buy or look for lol. worse thing about not being able to play and hear the guitars.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
looking through the sale section right now and have no idea what to buy or look for lol. worse thing about not being able to play and hear the guitars.
Where are you located? Maybe the forum wisdom can recommend some places nearby to try out a range of classical guitars. Also, what is it about the C10 that makes you feel like you need something else? How do you feel it's limiting your enjoyment and/or progress with classical guitar?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
Where are you located? Maybe the forum wisdom can recommend some places nearby to try out a range of classical guitars. Also, what is it about the C10 that makes you feel like you need something else? How do you feel it's limiting your enjoyment and/or progress with classical guitar?
I live in Southern California. I got suggested to go to guitar salon international in Santa Monica so I might head there when I free time this weekend.

My c10 spruce was my first classical guitar purchase and that’s from lots of research through many forums. I pulled the trigger and pretty happy about it, but would love to had the chance to look around and play different guitars. I’m missing the exploration of finding an instrument and just be blown away by the sound or instantly connecting with it. I want that right now, I don’t feel like the Córdoba is my guitar, but was picked out because of suggestions. I’m at a point in my life where I’m pretty comfortable and have no problems spending money on something i currently love. I play guitar 4 hours a day and don’t really think about much else lol. Plus my guitar teacher told me I deserve something better for all the effort I’m putting in haha.

I know I should use what I have, but I like feeling invested and having pride with what I spent my hard earned cash on.

I’ve tried the Córdoba c12 cedar and didn’t click with the guitar. It sounded nice and a little better than my c10, but I didn’t have that hmmm I really want this guitar. Just searching for a guitar that connects with me right now.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 PM

I found an excellent luthier-built classical from Chris Sobel there. Paid 1/2 of what it is really worth, market value. There are few things which are not perfect (fret ends, some minor finish work), otherwise it would be worth a lot more. Still, very playable, strong volume and sustain, and it's still responsive. My other concert classical was built in 2002, and is also excellent. I just wanted something with more projection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
very definitely "yes".

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Edited quote and post.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I live in Southern California. I got suggested to go to guitar salon international in Santa Monica so I might head there when I free time this weekend.
GSI has a great selection of concert guitars. You may find a fairly limited selection in the price range you mentioned, though. Still worth the trip to see what's out there in my opinion.

See if they have a Kohno from the late 60s or early 70s. You can often find these undervalued on the used market, so it would be something to try to see if this style of guitar works for you.

Someone else mentioned the Kenny Hill guitars. I think they are closer to San Jose/Santa Cruz, so not sure if it makes sense for you to try to pay them a visit. Larry Darnell from the Hill Guitar Co lists some of their guitars on eBay under the name lidarnell. You can sometimes get seconds that are a great deal (cosmetic blemishes, etc.). They are great to work with.

Last edited by smwink; 01-31-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
GSI has a great selection of concert guitars. You may find a fairly limited selection in the price range you mentioned, though. Still worth the trip to see what's out there in my opinion.

See if they have a Kohno from the late 60s or early 70s. You can often find these undervalued on the used market, so it would be something to try to see if this style of guitar works for you.

Someone else mentioned the Kenny Hill guitars. I think they are closer to San Jose/Santa Cruz, so not sure if it makes sense for you to try to pay them a visit. Larry Darnell from the Hill Guitar Co lists some of their guitars on eBay under the name lidarnell. You can sometimes get seconds that are a great deal (cosmetic blemishes, etc.). They are great to work with.

Ive been interested in buying used japanese guitars, but they're so many. Do you know which one to get? Kohno and i know the old Yamaha GC guitars are great, but theres like different models of the yamaha gc. 3, 5, 7, 10 how do you know which one is the top tier or bottom tier? Is there the gems of those brands like "the guitar" to look out for. Some guy is listing a yamaha gc-70 for 10k lol.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 PM
Musical minimalist

I haven't read all the reponses, but one thing I'll bring to your attention.

The Cordoba 9 and 10 models have wonderfully wide saddle spacing (59 mm or so) and there aren't many others out there that are quite that wide. May be a consideration when you are shopping.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 PM

FYI#1: Westy posted a while back that his Esteve c9/b was much better than his Solid wood Cordoba Orchestra Pro 12 in tone and volume. That caught my ear because I think the Cordobas sound great. Might be something to look for (I have no idea about $, or where they sell them).

FYI#2: If your going to Santa Monica, you might as well stop in McCabes, play some guitars and drink some coffee.

FYI#3: Good luck! Let us know what you find in Santa Monica this weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical