The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Bluegrass

In need of some assistance here
Looking for a good progressive bluegrass book or on line course.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 09-22-2018, 09:12 PM

http://www.flatpick.com/product_p/2437.htm

Lots of folks around here recommend this book. I bought volume 4, and it's great.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

There's also Artistworks Bryan Sutton bluegrass guitar. There's a whole bunch of lessons, and you send Video Exchanges in to Bryan and he replies via video on his critique of your video and anything he thinks you should work on. It's a real nice program. If you wait until Christmas time they usually have a 50% off sale on the year course.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM

Agreed on Bryan’s lessons, also recommend Steve Kaufman’s material (http://www.flatpik.com) and Ryan Kimm’s (https://musicwithryan.com).
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I started playing in bluegrass bands in about 1975. There were no resources like there are now, so I learned from listening and watching.

I'm concerned that when learning from "the asters" one may get the idea that their abilities are what you should achieve and get disheartened.

Remember that the guitar is essentially a rhythm instrument in a bluegrass band, and a guitar talking solos was very rare until folk like Clarence White came along.
Of course there have been some wonderful solo guitarists like doc Watson and David Grier who play fiddle tunes with expertise but that is really a branch away from bluegrass.

So I'd suggest that you become familiar with the basic boom - chick rhythm styles and then progress to picking out the melodies from within the chords.

This might help:

and then, perhaps this :

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I started playing in bluegrass bands in about 1975. There were no resources like there are now, so I learned from listening and watching.

I'm concerned that when learning from "the asters" one may get the idea that their abilities are what you should achieve and get disheartened.

Remember that the guitar is essentially a rhythm instrument in a bluegrass band, and a guitar talking solos was very rare until folk like Clarence White came along.
Of course there have been some wonderful solo guitarists like doc Watson and David Grier who play fiddle tunes with expertise but that is really a branch away from bluegrass.

So I'd suggest that you become familiar with the basic boom - chick rhythm styles and then progress to picking out the melodies from within the chords.

This might help:

and then, perhaps this :

Hope this helps.
Exactly.

To th second point in bold I'd refer all to Maybelle Carter and Lester Flatt.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 AM

countryguitaronline.com.
This young man has very affordable subscription plans and excellent instruction in the styles of many well known bluegrass and contemporary artists. He's usually online in a chat window on his site as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Assuming that you don't know much about playing bluegrass:

Bluegrass is music made by a band. Dive right in; you'll know better how to approach it after you've immersed yourself in some slow jamming. Start here:

https://www.drbanjo.com/play-along-b...s-jam-dvds.php

The first thing that you should realize is that in bluegrass, most of the instruments play rhythm most of the time. Especially the guitar and the bass. So the first thing you should learn is how to play rock-solid rhythm, bluegrass style. The second thing you should learn is the runs and fills that embellish the rhythm guitar and define the sound of bluegrass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write