The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
I'll just +1 every compliment already given.

Thank you FwL!

I'm so pleased to know that you like this! Thanks so much for commenting and for providing support!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Wow! Great job Glenn!

And the Man of Steel nails the barre on a 12'er!
Hi Barry!

Thank you for your comments Barry! I'm so glad you like how this came out!

I am guessing that when you note "the barre on a 12'er" you must be referring to the Bm chord, which I invariably play as a barre chord. It's just easier for me, and as far as barre chords go, the Bm is the easiest of all of them to play, simply because of the size of my hand and fingers and the way my fingers work.

But thank you for your enthusiasm and supportive comments! I have been looking forward to playing this song, complete with harmonies, for a long time, so I'm glad I finally made myself do it. It's very rewarding to hear that some people like how this came out.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefingers018 View Post
Great, thank you for posting.
Hi Bluefingers!

Thanks so much for posting your comments here! I'm very happy that you like this! It's great to hear from you!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I have always wanted to do an acoustic cover of "Turn, Turn, Turn" the way the Byrds played this song in 1965 when I was in high school, so today I took the time to record this, including the iconic Byrds harmony -- well, as best as I could do it, anyway. The 12-string is a Guild F-512 in standard tuning.

I broke the high G string in the early part of the recording process, so I put on a whole new set of strings. The ones on the guitar were over a year old and really held up very well (coated D'Addario PB). It was time for new strings, though the guitar has a little extra zing now.

In refreshing my memory on how to play this song with Roger McGuinn on YouTube, I noticed that he has his Rickenbacker 12-string tuned about a half step flat. So I may be singing this a tweak higher than the Byrds sang it.

I hope you like this -- thanks for listening!

- Glenn
NICE! This, too, is my favorite rendition of Pete's classic song. Thanks Glenn!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Fantastic Glenn
Loved the harmonies and 12-string zing with fresh strings.

I look forward to hearing you on bass and drums on your next Glennwillow Band recording.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
NICE! This, too, is my favorite rendition of Pete's classic song. Thanks Glenn!
Hi SpruceTop,

Thank you so much! I am so glad you like this! Thank you for taking the time to comment here! It's always great to hear from you!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Fantastic Glenn
Loved the harmonies and 12-string zing with fresh strings.

I look forward to hearing you on bass and drums on your next Glennwillow Band recording.
Hi Bruce!

Hey Bruce! It's great to hear from you! And you of all people would appreciate hearing that Guild F-512! Yeah, the new strings really do have a zing to them, don't they!

And thanks for the comment about the band recording! I have a Rickenbacker 360-12 electric 12-string and I have been thinking about programming drums, learning the bass part and then doing an electric version of Turn, Turn, Turn. It will be a challenge, but I hope I can find time to do it in the next few weeks. I wonder? Were you anticipating that I was thinking about this??? If so, you are very insightful!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Bruce! I hope you and your family are well down under!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 AM

Hello Glenn,

Late to the party but all I can say is ...WOW

Such a meaningful song and what a wonderful rendition!

Pp
Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Hello Glenn,

Late to the party but all I can say is ...WOW

Such a meaningful song and what a wonderful rendition!

Pp
Thank you Pippin!

How wonderful to hear from you! I am very gratified to know that you thought this came out okay! Thanks so much for commenting here and providing support! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Another fantastic production, Glenn! You really are good at this and your videos are inspiring.

As I mentioned when you recorded Sundown I also have the Guild F-512 I bought new in 1975. But I watched some of your other recordings and see you have a '67 D-35. I find it interesting that I have not only the F-512 but also a '67 D-35S.

So we have some of the same guitars, or similar. But I missed out on the voice part - you have that and I don't! LOL!

Great singing and playing - thanks for posting!
David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 09-24-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Another fantastic production, Glenn! You really are good at this and your videos are inspiring.

As I mentioned when you recorded Sundown I also have the Guild F-512 I bought new in 1975. But I watched some of your other recordings and see you have a '67 D-35. I find it interesting that I have not only the F-512 but also a '67 D-35S.

So we have some of the same guitars, or similar. But I missed out on the voice part - you have that and I don't! LOL!

Great singing and playing - thanks for posting!
David
Hi David,

Speaking of inspiring -- what a very generous post! Thank you for all the kind words!

I do remember your telling me that you had a Guild F-512. We are both very fortunate!

I did not remember that you had a '67 Martin D-35S! Wow, that is a killer guitar! Though I must say, I can't complain about my old D-35; it's also a lovely guitar! 1967! Wow, that seems so long ago now! (I guess it was!)

I'm so glad you like what I did with "Turn, Turn, Turn." And thank you for the compliments on my voice. I have worked a long time at it; I feel very fortunate that I can still sing at all at my age (70).

I really appreciate your thoughtful comments here -- thank you!!!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I tell you I just love your productions. The vocals are awesome, how you hit some of those high notes, I have no idea! The 12-string was perfect for this. Great job, as always!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I tell you I just love your productions. The vocals are awesome, how you hit some of those high notes, I have no idea! The 12-string was perfect for this. Great job, as always!
Hi Mike!

Thank you for weighing in here -- I really appreciate your comments and reading your opinions on these videos! You don't sound like a broken record to me! You sound very encouraging and supportive, and comments like yours really do help keep me motivated.

Regarding singing and the high notes, you know, it's interesting that even at age 70 I have not yet lost much of my upper vocal range, just a little. But it does take more singing to get my vocal cords warmed up so that I can actually hit those high notes. Also, I have realized that because I do not have to sing for a living, I have not worn out my voice like so many professional singers have done. So I have been lucky in that regard. Also, singing in the studio allows me to do multiple takes when I am not under any particular performance pressure. That also helps, I think.

Thank you for the kind words!

And yes, too, on the 12-string. I agree, on a song like this, it's just about perfect.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment, Mike!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Glenn, that was fantastic. I loved your masterful playing of that Guild, and the vocals - let's just say I think a few of the Byrds joined you at the mixer and added their vocals. Superbly done. When is Mr. Tamborine Man (Byrds version) coming out?

btw, thanks for the awesome description of the lyrics from the book of Ecclesiastes. I did not know! Adds a ton of meaning to the song.

I appreciate your enriching our music lives with your recordings. You brightened my day.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, that was fantastic. I loved your masterful playing of that Guild, and the vocals - let's just say I think a few of the Byrds joined you at the mixer and added their vocals. Superbly done. When is Mr. Tamborine Man (Byrds version) coming out?

btw, thanks for the awesome description of the lyrics from the book of Ecclesiastes. I did not know! Adds a ton of meaning to the song.

I appreciate your enriching our music lives with your recordings. You brightened my day.
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Thank you so much for your thoughts and comments!

You know, it would have been fun to have Roger McGuinn and David Crosby with me in my studio when recording those vocals! Wouldn't that have been an experience?!

I have had those harmonies in my head since I was 17 years old so it felt very natural to sing and record those parts. The only problem I had was getting my words to come out at the same time as my original live recording. I didn't even have to listen to the original Byrds recording to know how to sing this song, though I did listen to the recording to refresh my memory on how to play it. I also watched a YouTube video of Roger McGuinn playing and singing this song on his Rickenbacker 12-string.

I hadn't thought of doing "Mr Tambourine Man" but Roger McGuinn's playing on that song is most certainly iconic. The first time I played my new Rickenbacker 360-12 electric 12-string I just had to play that opening line from "Mr. Tambourine Man." You have given my some ideas here, Carmel Cedar!

Regarding the information from Eclesiastes, I was not really up on all that stuff, either until I started preparing this song ("Turn, Turn, Turn") and then looked it up. I also found this background to be enlightening. It shows that this business of going through cycles in life, the ups and downs, the gains and losses, death and new life, is thousands of years old, that it's part of our humanity.

Thanks so much for your comments here! I am so pleased to hear from you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell