The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM

Wow, Glenn, that's a super rendition! Great playing, singing and - not the least - video work. Love it.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Outstanding, Glenn! I love how you bring all the elements together, and they are mixed perfectly, with the bass present-but-not-overpowering and your voice standing clear above the harmonies...uh...which are also your voice, but you know what I mean. This song, along with others by GL like Rainy Day People, have me singing along with gusto whenever I hear it played. As always, it's a real pleasure to watch and listen to you play.
Hi Mike!

I'm so pleased to hear from you! Thanks so much for your comments!

I'm glad you liked the mix of elements for the overall song. Because there is so much more than voice and acoustic guitar, I did spend a fair amount of time adjusting the mix so that it all worked. I did end up bringing the lead voice up a little higher to be sure it was clearly audible. It's always a judgment call about how to do a mix of many channels, and I was thinking as I was arriving at a solution -- I'm sure this could be done better. But... if you feel that it came out well, that's a very pleasing vote of confidence for my efforts.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Wow, Glenn, that's a super rendition! Great playing, singing and - not the least - video work. Love it.
Hi Karel!

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm very gratified that you like how this came out.

The video work was an interesting challenge because there were more instruments, so I ended up with a lot of video channels to deal with. My Premier Elements program can handle only 3 video channels, maximum. So I had to make early decisions about where the main camera would be going and essentially mix video channels down into one so that I could add more video cameras for the different instrument and vocal parts. It was a bit of a puzzle. Thank you for your comments on this!

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2018, 09:49 AM

WOW WOW WOW!!!

This was one of the best covers i ever found. Absolute great voice, perfect sound and lots of feeling. I love it.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful tune.

Ars longa & all the best from hamburg,

Jimmy
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarquango View Post
WOW WOW WOW!!!

This was one of the best covers i ever found. Absolute great voice, perfect sound and lots of feeling. I love it.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful tune.

Ars longa & all the best from hamburg,

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy!

Thank you for your enthusiasm for my cover video! It's very much appreciated!

I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Sounds great Glenn. Half the fun of Watching your videos is gawking at the beautiful guitars you have. That Guild is a stunner.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
Sounds great Glenn. Half the fun of Watching your videos is gawking at the beautiful guitars you have. That Guild is a stunner.
Hi GTRGUY!

Thank you very much! Yes, that Guild F512 is a wonderful guitar! I would have liked to have found a sunburst version of that guitar, but when a person is buying used, you have to be willing to be flexible and act quickly. This particular Guild F512 was built in 2014 in Hartford, CT so it's fairly new.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment here!

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Very well done, Glenn. You must like doing Lightfoot since you play his stuff so well. Always enjoy hearing you!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Very well done, Glenn. You must like doing Lightfoot since you play his stuff so well. Always enjoy hearing you!
Hi Kerbie!

Thanks for your comments! I am glad you felt that this came out okay.

I have always liked Gordon Lightfoot's music; I think I have purchased every album he ever made, though I might have missed something.

He and I sing pretty much in the same vocal range, and so that helps me when I do one of his songs. And he really was a folk singer, pretty much like me. So I am very comfortable with his music.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-07-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:15 AM

That was terrific....love that 12 string!!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn! I sure enjoy your multi-track recordings! It’s fun to see which instruments you choose, and then end results are always wonderful. This is one of those songs that I always recognized but never really listened to closely - not until listening to your performance just now. What a great song! Great performance, Glenn
Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore-fiend View Post
That was terrific....love that 12 string!!
Hi Moore-Fiend!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed this! And yes, I love this 12-string, too! I can't imagine doing a song like this without a good 12-string, but at the same time, I feel very fortunate to have this Guild F512!

Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn! I sure enjoy your multi-track recordings! It’s fun to see which instruments you choose, and then end results are always wonderful. This is one of those songs that I always recognized but never really listened to closely - not until listening to your performance just now. What a great song! Great performance, Glenn
Thank you Larry!

I very much appreciate your comments!

Regarding the lyrics, I don't think I really paid much attention to the lyrics, either, at least not before I learned this song just recently. I just had sort of an impression of what the song was about.

I am so bad about not listening closely to lyrics. My mind tends to gravitate towards the music; words just seem like filler most of the time until I actually have to sing the song. Then I realize, no, the words were more than just filler. In some cases they are pretty important.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment here, Larry!

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Hey Glenn,

Flawless as expected. But every time you add something new to one of your recordings, I find it so much fun. Loved the bass, the harmonies, solo, etc. But the core vocals and 12 string anchored it so well.

I sometimes am wary of Gordon Lightfoot - too folksy and too 70s, memories of my folks driving me around in the Impala - but then you bring the warmth of the songs out again. Truly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dave
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Hey Glenn,

Flawless as expected. But every time you add something new to one of your recordings, I find it so much fun. Loved the bass, the harmonies, solo, etc. But the core vocals and 12 string anchored it so well.

I sometimes am wary of Gordon Lightfoot - too folksy and too 70s, memories of my folks driving me around in the Impala - but then you bring the warmth of the songs out again. Truly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments! I am so glad you thought this came out well! I thought long and hard about whether I should do this song, whether I could do it justice. I am so pleased to read your comments!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell