The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 PM

Default Yamaha's interesting new technology

This seems pretty cool:

Quote:
Yamaha’s LL-TA TransAcoustic Guitar recreates the incredible experience of playing in a rich, live room without needing any external amplification or effects – just the guitar itself.

An actuator installed on the inner surface of the guitar back vibrates in response to the vibrations of the strings. The vibrations of the actuator are then conveyed to the body of the guitar, and to the air in and around the guitar body, generating authentic reverb and chorus sounds from inside the body.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...tric-Guitar.gc

Has anyone had the opportunity to try one of these?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 PM

It certainly works. I was in a music shop the other week, and one of the sales guys was playing one. He was behind a rack, and I thought he was plugged into an amp, quite a loud sound.
Not really a fan of the look of the guitar itself, YMMV.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

No but that's quite interesting. Nice sounding guitar...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM

I've tried the FG-TA and the FS-TA. Of those two, I prefer the sound of the FS-TA. Would like to try an LL-TA.

It is fascinating how well the effects work. It was more difficult for my ears to detect the chorus effect unless it was set almost to max, but the reverb is noticeable right away to me. I think it's especially cool that the effects go through the pickup as well.

But as advertised they do work without the guitar being plugged in.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to try one?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM

I can see how some might be attracted to such a built in effects module. I've played a couple, but I came away feeling like the TA stuff sort of masked the guitar itself, much like too much sugar can mask the actual taste of coffee- good or bad. It's just not something I'd ever be interested in.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Tonewood amp pretty much does the same thing on any guitar. They're pretty cool.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Tonewood amp pretty much does the same thing on any guitar. They're pretty cool.
Yes, if I want effects, I will plug in.

However like the "new" distressed look guitars, there will be someone that will buy these guitars.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 PM

I tried one.

Thought it was pretty cool. Very similar to how the Tonewood Amps work.

It's a great idea & kudos to Yamaha for bringing it to market in a production model, first.

That said, it's just not my style & I have no intention of buying one.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I got one of the first TA's a couple years ago when they came out and they are really interesting and remarkable in concept and really kinda executed beyond my expectations. The guitar is really a nice guitar without that Transacoustic feature, but the TA just takes it to the next level. The cheaper laminate ones they launched this year are the obvious next step, but the root guitar is a far poorer guitar in my experience, so I prefer the higher end one because it's a good guitar without the TA.

In contrast to the Tonewood amp mentioned above, the TA is super elegant AND it is also a pickup system with preamp and is really quite good sounding.

I like the TA as a fun addition to my collection, but wouldnt be my only guitar, but i could see it being someone's only guitar and being great all around.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM

Interesting concept. I'd like to try one at some point. I applaud Yamaha for creating new technology. Jeez, what they've done with Line 6 since the acquisition in the electric guitar world is truly remarkable.

My problem with the Yamaha acoustics is pure prejudice though. When I was a kid, I begged my parents for a guitar for a year. Finally, they bought me a Yamaha dreadnaught shaped guitar. It was the cheapest guitar on the rack at the time. I think they paid $100 for it. I learned on that thing for a few years. It was tinny and felt like the poly/plastic finish was an inch thick. The action was about 1/2" off the fretboard at the 10th. After 2 years, at the tender age of 13, I couldn't wait to get a better guitar. So I mowed yards and picked weeds and finally scraped together the money to get a Takamine, trading in the Yamaha.

That was a long time ago, but, to this day, if I see a Yamaha acoustic on the rack at a store, I don't even give it a second glance. I just can't seem to get past that "traumatic" childhood experience.

It's funny how stuff like that sticks with you so many years later.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 PM

I played a FS/TA and was very impressed, I used to have a lot of LS series Yamaha guitars. THis technology is awesome for small venues and street performance.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM

The technology is really cool, and the guitars are very good. I haven't played an LS guitar. I own the LL-TA.
Regarding one of the comments about the chorus being unnoticeable on a video, the chorus when turned up is extremely noticeable. Personally, this effect is generally not to my liking.
As far as the guitar which is an LL-16 with the added technology, it's a very fine sounding instrument and impeccably built. My only criticism is that it is a bit overbuilt, and while this doesn't affect the sound - ok, bass is good but not great - it does affect a little bit the connection of the player to to the instrument. When I have a light Martin in my arms, I wouldn't necessarily say it sounds better - the Yamaha sounds perfect as far as I'm concerned, but I feel a little more connected playing a lightweight guitar.

I played the FA-TA and the FS-TA, and in this configuration, the FS model sounds better. I haven't compared the LL and LS to the FA and FS, but it's probably best not to assume that the solid body is better. You should let your ears be the judge.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

Last edited by Beakybird; 08-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
The technology is really cool, and the guitars are very good. I haven't played an LS guitar. I own the LL-TA.
Regarding one of the comments about the chorus being unnoticeable on a video, the chorus when turned up is extremely noticeable. Personally, this effect is generally not to my liking.
As far as the guitar which is an LL-16 with the added technology, it's a very fine sounding instrument and impeccably built. My only criticism is that it is a bit overbuilt, and while this doesn't affect the sound - ok, bass is good but not great - it does affect a little bit the connection of the player to to the instrument. When I have a light Martin in my arms, I wouldn't necessarily say it sounds better - the Yamaha sounds perfect as far as I'm concerned, but I feel a little more connected playing a lightweight guitar.

I played the FA-TA and the FS-TA, and in this configuration, the FS model sounds better. I haven't compared the LL and LS to the FA and FS, but it's probably best not to assume that the solid body is better. You should let your ears be the judge.

As far as the Tonewood, one thing I would love to hear when I'm playing my Yamaha with reverb is some delay. It would be great to echo arpeggios a la Pink Floyd. However, the Tonewood will not let you stack effects. If you choose reverb, you can't get delay. So even though the Tonewood has more effects, you can only get one at a time.
You can do reverb and delay simultaneously. It has secondary effects.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You can do reverb and delay simultaneously. It has secondary effects.
This is awesome. I will edit my previous comment.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion