The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?
Snark 62 34.64%
Peterson Stroboclip 32 17.88%
TC Electronics Unitune 21 11.73%
TC Electronics Polytune 34 18.99%
Other 30 16.76%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidan View Post
Since I was in diapers I remember hearing my grandfather always say, "it only costs a little more to go first class." And he meant exactly what you articulate - spending a little more to do something right he first time rarely winds up costing much more in the long run than if you'd gone cheap. Still hear him in my mind decades later whenever I consider the "budget" option of anything.
Try British Airlines first class, wow need another mortgage , but I totally agree with your grandad sentiments , wise old man...........
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM

As a person I'm rather snarky so the answer is obvious!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I voted Snark because its the only one I have.

I have had quite a few arguments with it though as it wants to call the 1st string (tuned to D) a G all the time.

We've had some serious conversations about that, nothing I can repeat with women and children around
Since no one else has bitten let me say "well played, sir!"

FWIW I once dreamed that I had that very conversation with my wife. Ironically I woke up on the couch with my favorite guitar and we made beautiful music together.

Seriously though, I can't justify spending a lot of money at StewMac or Sharper Image on gizmos and the Snark is the perfect thing to have multiples of. I have one for each of my guitars. I could care less how the rubber reacts with the finish. There are warnings on my couch cushions too. We live in a litigious society where we have to cover all the bases.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
When you look at the top selling products of anything, you're going to find the cheapest products well represented, not because they're "the best," but because they were what some people could afford.

Long ago I learned this life lesson: Never cheap out.
Almost every time I've cheaped out on a purchase I've come to regret it and very often it wound up costing me more money than if I hadn't cheaped out in the first place. I've never bought quality and found myself later regretting it and wishing I had cheaped out, but the reverse has very often been true.
I bought a cheap A=440 fork back in the late 1960s, and it still works while landfills are groaning under the weight of discarded electronic tuners. Haven't had to change the battery yet
(I do own a cheap electronic tuner).
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My favorite was the Intelli TT500. I liked it because the green screen would give just enough light on the fretboard in dark jam situations. They don't make those any more, so my default is now the Snark. They break rather easily at the swivel/ball joint but Snark is good about sending replacements if you call.

I do tend to sweeten the indicated tuning a bit by ear for the b string and the bass E on most guitars. Matching the fifth fret note handles that nicely.
Ah Yes, those big square thingies! I bought one for most of my guitars, and so still keep them (as a spare - to me mini tuners) in my pick boxes. They were a bit eccentric and rather slow, but reliable.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
When you look at the top selling products of anything, you're going to find the cheapest products well represented, not because they're "the best," but because they were what some people could afford.
Not only one of the cheaper ones, but also the longest running availability.

Overlooked points in this whole thread are that while the cheap tuner holds top spot, it would be helpful to notice that it holds about 34% of the votes against 50% for quality tuners. Lots of people voting for the cheap tuner have never even used anything else because they can't/won't spend the money.

I own several of the cheap D'Addario tuners and like them quite a bit, but when accuracy matters, my Peterson Stroboclip HD and Shure wireless with built in strobe tuning are the ones I prefer to rely on.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Try British Airlines first class, wow need another mortgage , but I totally agree with your grandad sentiments , wise old man...........

He was indeed. Although he probably never actually FLEW first class in his life. I certainly haven't!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
None of the above. I dislike the look of the larger clip ons. The guitar equivalent of a pocket protector someone said.

The Planet Waves Micro Tuner is my choice. Accurate, small, almost disappears on the headstock and inexpensive. I do indoor and outdoor gigs w/ them on acoustics, always visible even in direct sunlight.

This is also the one I use. I had just purchased a new tuner and a friend gave me this one for Christmas right after that. That was a few years ago. It stays on the head stock always. I take it off when i change guitar strings. Yes, it does fit inside the closed case very well. I had it off the guitar just today.

-- if you are wondering if a thread is dead just check to see if Raebrek was the last person to post. That is usually a pretty good sign. --

Raebrek!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
They were a bit eccentric and rather slow, but reliable.
I rather resemble that description myself.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Aromn

Generic but I got 4 for $16.00 on Amazon, So far the two I opened up work great..
Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Other: Korg PitchCrow

It's only a few dollars more, but much more accurate than Snarks. I found that all the newer Snarks have quite a bit of "frequency slop" on their lights. It will show in tune for a wide range of over +/- 10-15 cents ...

The Korg is much more accurate, with a nice bright display. Battery life is much longer than Snark. It does stand up a little higher. Haven't broken the arm yet in over 2+ years. I broke several Snarks with equivalent care ... (which was pretty careful). The only other negative on the Korg is the on/off button is small and somewhat difficult to press ... sometimes hit the Chromatic/Guitar/Bass mode cycle button. The accuracy still makes it much more appealing to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-PitchCro.../dp/B010SRKIRO

-John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM

The peterson would not work for me in a live gig band setting.
the snark does. I tried to like the peterson
but it only worked well for me home on the couch. I sold it.
I think its a great tuner for an at home guitar player. Just didnt work for me.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Whatever is the most expensive, 'cause I know it's made for guitarists.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I find the Snark easy to use, easy to read, accurate, and cheap enough that I can easily replace them if needed.
This is pretty much me. Though I do have a D'Addario sound hole tuner on one guitar and like it fairly well. My problem is old eyes. I need one that has a large enough display to be seen when my reading glasses are sitting across the room.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 06-05-2019, 02:51 AM

I always wonder...how much more can be improved on a product that has one job to do, does it well, and at such a low cost? And yet they still find ways.

D'Addario/PW clip on (headstock) for me, too. They are not visually obtrusive, and they are inexpensive enough to just keep them on the couple of guitars I use regularly. Like having a built-in tuner.

The Snark is also good for functionality/portability and easy readability (until the battery gets low!), and I always pack one with my travel guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion