The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?
Snark 62 34.64%
Peterson Stroboclip 32 17.88%
TC Electronics Unitune 21 11.73%
TC Electronics Polytune 34 18.99%
Other 30 16.76%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Your favorite clip-on tuner, and why?

1. Snark
2. Peterson Stroboclip
3. TC Electronics Unitune
4. TC Electronics Polytune
5. Other

Since this question came up in another thread, I thought it might be nice to make a poll to find out what your favorite clip-on tuner is, and why. I am currently trying to decide between a Peterson Stroboclip and a TC Electronics Unitune, so would love to hear from people who have tried both of those. Also am open to hearing about other clip-on tuners that you prefer.

So please vote, and, if you have the time, make a brief comment below about why you like your favorite more than others you may have tried. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Tried a stroboclip and it was really hard for it to stop moving. Unstable.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:26 AM

I own the Peterson Stroboclip HD, the TC Polytune Clip, and a couple of Snarks.

I voted Peterson assuming that your poll includes the newer HD version, not the older one named simply 'Stroboclip'.

I like the Stroboclip HD the best of the bunch because it is more accurate to my ear than the Polytune Clip, and definitely the Snarks. You can change the viewing angle easier on the Peterson version, though the screen wont 'flip' like it will on the TC if you like to put it facing you on the back of the headstock.

The Peterson swetened tunings are neat, but I don't really mess with them.

The TC seems a bit more robust, and folds smaller than does the Peterson.

If I was buying today and the Peterson was unavailable, I would get the TC Unitune because the polytune feature doesn't do anything for me personally.

Either the Peterson Stroboclip HD or the TC Poly/Unitune make for easy tuning. I like both of them. But if I could only keep one, it's Peterson.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM

I voted TC Elec. Polytune, as, that's what I have, and the Unitune didn't exist. If I were buying another tuner, it'd be the Unitune, the polytune function isn't necessary for me.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I voted Snark because its the only one I have.

I have had quite a few arguments with it though as it wants to call the 1st string (tuned to D) a G all the time.

We've had some serious conversations about that, nothing I can repeat with women and children around

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Voted for the stroboclip.

I have the original and it is incredibly accurate. I have zero problems with stability.

I also use the D'Addario sound hole tuner in a pinch.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I find the Snark easy to use, easy to read, accurate, and cheap enough that I can easily replace them if needed.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 AM

When I pawned my guitar for rent 20 years ago, the old Seiko tuner - which was great - went with it. When I started I again I bought a Snark. I've never seen a tuner so confused about what note it was actually trying to tune! Bought a Peterson Stroboclip HD after discussing strobe tuners with Pete Wernick after a recent show and I am HOOKED! Yeah, it's fiddly to get each string just right and truly strip the strobe, but it's consistent in knowing what I'm looking for and I've never felt so in-tune.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:45 AM
AGF Administrator

Boss TU-10. I've found it to be the least finicky and most accurate clip-on tuner that I've owned. https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-10/
Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

None of the above. I dislike the look of the larger clip ons. The guitar equivalent of a pocket protector someone said.

The Planet Waves Micro Tuner is my choice. Accurate, small, almost disappears on the headstock and inexpensive. I do indoor and outdoor gigs w/ them on acoustics, always visible even in direct sunlight.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

You need an entry for the D'Addario / Planet Waves clip-on. It's tiny, it's dirt cheap, batteries last forever, they make a soundhole version but it's really easy to convert a regular one to work in a soundhole, it's at least as accurate as a Snark.

It's my favorite just for it's overwhelming convenience and it would be just behind the PolyTune otherwise.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...eadstock-tuner

-Ray

Ahh, beat me to it while I was typing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
None of the above. I dislike the look of the larger clip ons. The guitar equivalent of a pocket protector someone said.

The Planet Waves Micro Tuner is my choice. Accurate, small, almost disappears on the headstock and inexpensive. I do indoor and outdoor gigs w/ them on acoustics, always visible even in direct sunlight.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You need an entry for the D'Addario / Planet Waves clip-on. It's tiny, it's dirt cheap, batteries last forever, they make a soundhole version but it's really easy to convert a regular one to work in a soundhole, it's at least as accurate as a Snark.

It's my favorite just for it's overwhelming convenience and it would be just behind the PolyTune otherwise.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...eadstock-tuner

-Ray

Ahh, beat me to it while I was typing!
+1 on the D'Addario/PW clip on. I gave all my Snarks to the misses - she prefers them. I find the micro tuner faster, easier to read and just as accurate if not more so.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Stephen and Ray-- and Roy, for piping up to say that your "other" is the D'Addario micro tuner. That one looks to be a contender, and I will check it out. It's probably too late to change the poll, so it's good to know what some of the "others" are.

Thanks for all who have responded thus far, this is really helpful info. Please keep them coming!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Snark. Inexpensive, reliable, easy to see the readout, dead simple to use, and not affected by other sounds in the room.

I mount it so the display is under the pegboard where I can see it but it doesn't look like a mushroom is growing out of guitar, so it's pretty unobtrusive too.

I've had others, not clip-ons, and I still use a phone app tuner from time to time, but the Snark is my favorite.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I voted for the Peterson. I have the HD and it's not hard to use at all after the first time.

I have a Peterson, a couple of Snarks and a Reverb branded tuner that cost $2 on sale.

I can tune with the Reverb and it will sound pretty good. Then immediately tune again with the Snark and it will show that it needs it and when I'm finished it will sound much better. Then I can tune again with the Peterson and it will sound like a much better guitar!

Peterson's are ridiculously expensive. I got a deal from my Visa that gave me $25 back if I spent $100. GC was one of the places I could shop so that's how I got the Peterson. I think it's worth it with the deal I got, but just walking in a buying one would hurt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion