The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 AM

Default Can i change my bridge with a different kind?

So im thinking about if i can replace my bridge. Im a beginner so i dont know that much about guitars. Please excuse me.

(THE BRIDGE ON MY GUITAR RIGHT NOW)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8a...w?usp=drivesdk

(THE BRIDGE IM PLANNING TO GET)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--f...w?usp=drivesdk

My current bridge is made out of Maple and the replacement is made out of rosewood. Would this affect my guitar in some way?

If ever my bridge lifts in the future and im going to get it fixed, can i change it to a different kind if an identical replacement part is unavailable? Thanks in advance.

Ps: if there's a name to these bridges kindly specify their kind/name thanks.

Last edited by pderek501; 03-30-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Incorrect format
Old 03-30-2019, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

No photos visible, and your links require a google sign-in.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
No photos visible, and your links require a google sign-in.
Seems like a good way to get an email list.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi,
I was able to see the pictures..... The answer is No.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

'Different kind'? I assume you mean different material, in your case maple to rosewood. Yes.

If 'different kind' means style/shape, no.

You could have a luthier to make one for you out of rosewood that fits the footprint of the original bridge.

But the replacement you pictured is not the same footprint, so it would look terrible if used.

Last edited by dave42; 03-30-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 AM

There is no need to do this. You only replace a bridge if there is a problem and if it is the same footprint. You also take it to a qualified luthier.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

That original bridge looks nothing like maple - more like ebony. The bridge-plate, which is inside the body underneath the bridge, may well be maple though.

And, as others have said, the proposed 'new' bridge is completely the wrong shape, you'd have big finish problems, and it's not a good idea.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:48 AM

The answers above are correct but I want to add that it will change your sound, I think it will be for the better. Depending on what kind of glue was used, there should be no problem for a tec to do that for you. Are you sure the bridge you have now is maple? It looks like ebony to me but it could be dyed maple but maple naturally is sorta white not black like that. Again, go to a tec
Old 03-30-2019, 05:52 AM

Agreed, with Mercy and the others. Unless your guitar is brand new the finish will have darkened slightly and since the 2 bridges are somewhat different shaped, some finish will be covered and some unfinished part exposed. Not only would someone have to removed some but they have to - somehow - manage to darken, just enough, the area that needed new finish. Tough to do.

It will hurt the resale value of your guitar. But if you don't care about looks and resale value - it could be done. Would it change the tone? Probably. But would you notice it? Maybe not.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Pderek, about the only time bridges on flattop acoustic guitars ever get replaced is on those exceedingly rare occasions when the bridge has not only pulled up off the top but also been left unrepaired for a long enough time to permanently warp into a distorted shape. To replace one for any other reason - because you want it to be a different shape or color, perhaps - is prohibitively expensive, and deeply impractical, as well.

If those are the reasons you’re contemplating having this work done, you might as well spend the money and get a guitar that has the style of bridge you want.

It’s very common when a bridge gets replaced that a surprising amount of the top underneath gets yanked up with it: some of the wood fibers can tear off and remain glued to the underside of the bridge. So if you follow through with this plan and find an unethical guitar repairman who’s willing to replace the bridge even though there’s no good reason to do so, it’s not at all unlikely that it will cause some minor damage to the top.

That can be dealt with, but - again - there’s no good reason to inflict that stress on the instrument. Not for cosmetic reasons alone.

In addition to that, there would be the finish repair work needed, as others in this thread have already mentioned. ANY finish work is far more costly than most people expect. So if you proceed with this project, the costs will snowball into something big and ugly much faster than you can probably imagine.

What you can do for a reasonable price is experiment with different bridge saddle materials. The bridge saddle is easily replaced, and different materials will give the guitar different tonal qualities. The bridge saddle is where the sound vibrations get transferred directly to the top, so it has an outsized importance in terms of the sound you get.

Interestingly enough, the wood used for the bridge itself seems to have less influence on the sound than the material used for the saddle. So you have more control over tone with that than you would by changing the bridge, and for infinitely less trouble and expense.

The bridge saddle of the guitar shown in the first photo is made of plastic. You might want to try getting one carved out of bone. It won’t cost much, and you might like the results.

Anyway, the bridge of a flattop acoustic guitar is a permanent part of the instrument. It’s not designed to be swapped out, and shouldn’t be except when it absolutely HAS to be.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 AM

That's an inexpensive "starter" sort of guitar, and the bridge is indeed painted maple.

Typically, it's not appropriate to try to improve guitars of this nature.

The bad news is that the cost of pretty much any but very modest repairs will be likely to exceed the value of the guitar by such a wide margin that when/if they are needed, you'll want to replace this guitar with a better instrument.

Frank Ford

Last edited by Frank Ford; 03-30-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Bridge change

I'd like to see what the guitar top looks like. Seems like just a short distance over to the binding at the edge, so it looks like it might be backpacker or something like that.

Ed
Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 PM

Dont do it.

That bridge first is bolted and glued on, likely epoxy, so chances of it co ing of cleanly even for a professional are low.

The replacement bridge you have selected, has a different footprint, so the finish on your top will look bery odd indeed.

The string spacing of both bridges needs to be identical as well, if they are not, a lot of work to make it fit.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair