The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM

I never think of this fingering as a ‘Hendrix’ chord.
THE ‘Hendrix’ chord is the E7#9 (as in Purple Haze).
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
This is not true, Hendrix's guitar was strung as a normal lefty.
My mistake. I thought that I had read that in the past. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways🙂.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJeff View Post
My mistake. I thought that I had read that in the past. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways🙂.
Your penance is 10 Hey Joe's and a Wind Cries Mary.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Well, nobody told you it was wrong because it isn't wrong!

As for it being a "Hendrix" thing, certainly he didn't invent it...but if you want some instant Hendrix sound--add the ninth on the first string with the pinky, make sure the 5th string is muted, and slide this chord around...
Now you're talking: sus2 as two stacked 5ths (and extra root for luck)! (You don't need the 3rd string either)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
As for it being a "Hendrix" thing, certainly he didn't invent it...but if you want some instant Hendrix sound--add the ninth on the first string with the pinky, make sure the 5th string is muted, and slide this chord around...
Yes! Very Hendrix sounding.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
No clue why I struggle with it. Either the low E buzzes or the B and low E are muted. Plus I can’t play or mute the A string. Fretting is so much easier but it makes certain transitions funky.

Maybe I need to pull my left thumb out with a pair of pliers and make it longer.
This is generally a great alternative to the e-position barre chord, and is movable anywhere on the neck. (I don’t have big hands, and use it on acoustics with 1 11/16” and 1 3/4” nuts - you don’t need to be on a vintage Strat to make it work, and you don’t need to have Hendrix sized hands.)

A couple of hacks:

- Try rolling your wrist and muting the 5th string with your thumb, instead of sounding it. You don’t always need it.

- Try rolling your wrist the other way, and let the index finger mute the 1st string, unless you need it.

- If you don’t need to strum the whole chord, use the technique of rolling the wrist to make either the upper or lower part of the chord sound cleanly. You can do this pretty quickly.

It takes practice to get good at using the thumb, but it’s really worth it, even for other chords.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
This is generally a great alternative to the e-position barre chord, and is movable anywhere on the neck. (I don’t have big hands, and use it on acoustics with 1 11/16” and 1 3/4” nuts - you don’t need to be on a vintage Strat to make it work, and you don’t need to have Hendrix sized hands.)

A couple of hacks:

- Try rolling your wrist and muting the 5th string with your thumb, instead of sounding it. You don’t always need it.

- Try rolling your wrist the other way, and let the index finger mute the 1st string, unless you need it.

- If you don’t need to strum the whole chord, use the technique of rolling the wrist to make either the upper or lower part of the chord sound cleanly. You can do this pretty quickly.

It takes practice to get good at using the thumb, but it’s really worth it, even for other chords.
Yes! Can’t wait to get home in two days and try this. Will give an update soon.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mistake. I thought that I had read that in the past. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways��.
Yes it is a continuing myth that has been circulating for long time
Another one who does play lefty but strung upside down (right handed) even on his left handed strat,,,, Is Doyle Bramhall II. Which I assume is to get the tone,volume knobs and pickup switch below the strings

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mistake. I thought that I had read that in the past. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways��.
Yes it is a continuing myth that has been circulating for long time
Another one who does play lefty but strung upside down (right handed) even on his left handed strat,,,, Is Doyle Bramhall II...
Which I assume is to get the tone,volume , pickup switch and input connector below the strings

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Practice works. This chord is much easier now but the instrument does matter for me in this case. Certain necks facilitate the chord change while others require more effort. I’ll keep playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write