The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 AM

Default Videos and Sound clips ?

Hey everyone,

So I am going to be making a few videos and sounds clips for the new Andrew White import line to possibly be posted on the website and was hoping to get some feed back from the wonderful musicians on AGF.

The question is:

What do you guys look for in a quality clip or video?

If you guys have any opinions or feedback it would be great. I am truly trying to capture what people truly want to get out of a sound clip or video. Because of the limited exposure to Andrew White Guitars this is going to be a very good tool to give people access to the unique tones and qualities of his guitars and I want to make sure I am capture what the players want.

Thanks,

David
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi David,

I assume you mean a clip that helps me evaluate a guitar that I might be considering...

If so, I first want to hear top-quality audio. I want to hear the guitar in various scenarios... some fingerstyle and some strumming. I want to hear the sustain. I'd like to hear some crisp runs, some bending of tone. I want to hear the guitar played all over the fretboard and not just over the soundhole. I'd prefer to compare a variety of genres of music. I'd like some changes in dynamics.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what comes to mind.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
Hi David,

I assume you mean a clip that helps me evaluate a guitar that I might be considering...

If so, I first want to hear top-quality audio. I want to hear the guitar in various scenarios... some fingerstyle and some strumming. I want to hear the sustain. I'd like to hear some crisp runs, some bending of tone. I want to hear the guitar played all over the fretboard and not just over the soundhole. I'd prefer to compare a variety of genres of music. I'd like some changes in dynamics.

that about covers it.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Hi David,

This is exactly what I was looking for.

The big thing I see is a lot of the time the guitar playing influences the buyer more than the guitar it self. My goal is to gain some organic interest in these guitars. The only way this happens is if the user gets what they expected to get or which I hope happens something that exceeds expectation.

I really appreciate the feedback!

David

Last edited by davidandrew; 03-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Certainly agree with the above, and would add that the soundclips need to recorded via microphone (no pickups please) and not "processed" in any way after recording - ie flat eq and no effects.

Keith
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Musical minimalist

Agree with the above and I'll add to do some in both standard and drop tunings.
Dropping to D or C on the bass string gives an unfair picture of the bass response of the instrument at times.

Also, throw a couple of short clips in capoed up 3 frets or so. So many instruments get the tone and sustain choked out of them when capoed up. It's one thing I look for in an instrument that's going to stay around here for any length of time....

Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
the soundclips need to recorded via microphone (no pickups please) and not "processed" in any way after recording - ie flat eq and no effects.
I agree completely with Keith and I think it helps when it is actually pointed out to the listener/viewer exactly what mic is used and that no "processing" or alteration of the sound has occurred. That just makes me feel a little better about the fact that the sound I'm hearing really is the guitar and not electronic magic.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM

I can honestly tell you that as a consumer I view sound clips and videos as less than useful but I'm guessing they are here to stay so I'll be monitoring this thread for opinions as well.

So, what is this Andrew White line you are marketing?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I agree completely with Keith and I think it helps when it is actually pointed out to the listener/viewer exactly what mic is used and that no "processing" or alteration of the sound has occurred. That just makes me feel a little better about the fact that the sound I'm hearing really is the guitar and not electronic magic.
I do agree with this the only thing is the room plays such a huge part in recording. It is very hard to get a quality recording especially on an acoustic guitar with out the right room. That's why most home recordings are in a deaden room and the engineer/producer goes back and adds the room.

With the tools I have it would be very hard to get a quality recording without adding a little bit of Reverb and Compression.

https://soundcloud.com/meandthecity/...e-guitars-demo

This clip was done in my garage. I did it really fast but it really has nothing to it just a little reverb and compression. I am going to have to figure out a way that I can get the most natural sound but still be accurate to the guitar
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I can honestly tell you that as a consumer I view sound clips and videos as less than useful but I'm guessing they are here to stay so I'll be monitoring this thread for opinions as well.

I'm with Ted.
It has to be something very special to make me play one all the way through. All too often they tend to show off what the player can do with tricks and fast playing.... fine I suppose, but that usually doesn't inspire me.

What I do want to see in a video or soundclip is:
1. Hmmm... neat.... I wonder if I can play that, and
2. What can this guitar do for me?

But even then, I don't really trust the sounds that I am hearing will be what the instrument actually sounds like.

Rod
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

i am going to be doing some reviews and clips for the import model. I actually find music clips very useful if they are quality clips. I always prefer to play something before I buy it but unfortunately sometimes things are just not available, especially in the boutique high end market.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrew View Post
I do agree with this the only thing is the room plays such a huge part in recording. It is very hard to get a quality recording especially on an acoustic guitar with out the right room. That's why most home recordings are in a deaden room and the engineer/producer goes back and adds the room.

With the tools I have it would be very hard to get a quality recording without adding a little bit of Reverb and Compression.

https://soundcloud.com/meandthecity/...e-guitars-demo

This clip was done in my garage. I did it really fast but it really has nothing to it just a little reverb and compression. I am going to have to figure out a way that I can get the most natural sound but still be accurate to the guitar
Yes, the room has an effect. But I disagree totally that it would be hard to get a decent quality recording without reverb and compression. Here is a totally unprocesed recording of my Fylde Custom Alexander double tracked - strummed and flatpicked
https://www.box.com/shared/dbl7s0c96f
This was a simple recording done in my small spare room using my Zoom H2 (12 inches from neck/body join) as USB mic into Cakewalk. Flat eq, no effects, though I did add a slight fade in to the second tune. True, it doesn't sound like a pro CD recording, but I don't want it to - I want it to sound like the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrew View Post
i am going to be doing some reviews and clips for the import model. I actually find music clips very useful if they are quality clips. I always prefer to play something before I buy it but unfortunately sometimes things are just not available, especially in the boutique high end market.
I wouldn't dream of buying anything on the basis of recordings/reviews etc. I'd need to play it first. And for custom/high end, I'd need to play several examples of the makers work.

Soundclips can be useful as a means of becoming aware of possibilities to chase up though - especially if you also record "other" guitars for comparison, the sound of which is likely to be more familiar to people

Keith

Last edited by ocarolan; 03-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Yes, the room has an effect. But I disagree totally that it would be hard to get a decent quality recording without reverb and compression. Here is a totally unprocesed recording of my Fylde Custom Alexander double tracked - strummed and flatpicked
https://www.box.com/shared/dbl7s0c96f
This was a simple recording done in my small spare room using my Zoom H2 (12 inches from neck/body join) as USB mic into Cakewalk. Flat eq, no effects, though I did add a slight fade in to the second tune. True, it doesn't sound like a pro CD recording, but I don't want it to - I want it to sound like the guitar.

I wouldn't dream of buying anything on the basis of recordings/reviews etc. I'd need to play it first. And for custom/high end, I'd need to play several examples of the makers work.

Soundclips can be useful as a means of becoming aware of possibilities to chase up though - especially if you also record "other" guitars for comparison, the sound of which is likely to be more familiar to people

Keith
Thanks Keith great Insight. I agree completely you always want to try something before you buy it.

I would say clips are a great way to get people interested in trying out a guitar as well. If you hear something about a guitar you go and check for sound clips if they sound clips are crap you move on, if they sound good you might try to locate one to try out or at least ad it to your list. (we all have a list.)

btw the clip is pretty good. I may be able to use one of my rooms and get a good recording im going to have to check all the rooms.

Thank you guys so much alot of great insight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD