The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Default 1967 Gibson J45 - reattaching a loose pickguard - ideas wanted

I recently traded for a 1967 Gibson J45. It needs a lot of work, which I will do, but one thing I haven't done before is reattach a pickguard. This is one of the very thick guards. It appears to be attached at less than 20% of its area.

What is the best way to reattach it? I assume I'll have to carefully remove the guard and clean it and the guitar up, but re-installation has me wondering. I know Stewmac sells pickguard adhesive sheet, but my guess is with such a thick guard, and with a guitar that looks like it's been in a war, and thus has an uneven top, the adhesive sheet (at just .002" thick) may not make a good bond. In any event, I would appreciate any insight.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:35 PM

I have epoxied them in the past. Best to make clamping cauls; I generally use 1/4" plywood or Masonite on the pickguard, with 3/4" plywood blocks underneath the top.
I clean the squeeze-out before it hardens using white vinegar. Slow cure epoxy is recommended.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Will follow that advice. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair