The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM

If they are used well and subtley, you never hear them at all. If you have to correct a singer that never hits the right note twice or within a semitone, then YES they sound like crap or aliens.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 AM

I use Melodyne pretty regular. I wouldn't call it hard, it's just time consuming. With Melodyne, or the version I use, the vocalist sings until it is as close as possible. When I'm happy with the track, I then transfer to Melodyne. When it is transferred to Melodyne, I can either have the computer do all the corrections in percentages automatically or I can do everything manually. Most of the time I will do a combination of the two. I will have the computer do a 50% correction, then go back and fix individual notes if needed. What Melodyne does is non destructive to the original track. I can always disable Melodyne and the original, unfixed vocal is still there.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Is voice tune software something that you guys use often?
Never use it, ever. But I have a singer's voice and don't need it. I can see that it has its place, though.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If they are used well and subtley, you never hear them at all. If you have to correct a singer that never hits the right note twice or within a semitone, then YES they sound like crap or aliens.
Okay. This assessment jives with an article I read recently (sorry, can't reference it) in which the author claims that any pitch correction of more than a few cents with any software will dramatically change the character of the voice and result in "digital artifacts".
Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Okay. This assessment jives with an article I read recently (sorry, can't reference it) in which the author claims that any pitch correction of more than a few cents with any software will dramatically change the character of the voice and result in "digital artifacts".
I think you can get away with more than a few cents, but it just depends on how much of the vocal you're correcting. If it's just a syllable or so you can sometimes get away with more. It also depends on the natural vibrato of the person... that can sometimes make it sound more unnatural, especially if they have no vibrato.. it can just sound too perfect.

I personally only do touch up in manual mode, I NEVER use automatic mode.. ever. I mostly use it on my one music, so if there is a vocalist who needs more I won't use them on my stuff.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD