The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Question Tapping at 12th fret causes problems...

Hi, everyone - I am new at AGF and was inspired to join because of a good discussion I saw regarding someone who was having a hard time getting a clear sound doing right hand tapping on the twelfth fret of the guitar. I'm having the same problem and wondered if anyone might have ideas pertaining to my particular situation, which unfortunately does not seem like it would be resolved by any of the solutions proposed there.

As you might guess by my user name, I am an utterly enormous Michael Hedges fan, and I am currently learning to play "Aerial Boundaries." (Yes I am a glutton for punishment, so long as the result is amazing music. ) I discovered however that tapping at the twelfth fret produces an extra note on my guitar. The effect on the 4-6th strings is negligible but it gets progressively more pronounced starting from the third string moving up to the first, where the extra note is louder than the one I'm actually aiming to produce. On the third string it sounds a minor third higher, and on the second and first strings, a minor second. In other words, it sounds like high-pitched mush in a pot.

I tried muting the strings over the third fret to rule out a problem with the strings touching higher frets, and that eliminated the sound, so it doesn't seem like it's a matter of needing to raise the action or have a set-up job done. Damping the strings closer to the nut seems to be what's needed. Now, what was suggested in the thread I read earlier was to have a hair tie available to damp the strings at the first fret, and to quickly move the tie back and forth if you need at some points in your playing to play an open string...but in "Aerial Boundaries," one is literally required to play open strings 88 times per minute or more, so the hair tie idea won't work (unless I sprout a third hand, or preferably find someone to craft a bionic one).

I experimented with the idea of damping the strings with a spare finger...if I absolutely HAD to, I might possibly be able to make this work, but good gravy, this song is tough enough as it is. Also it's clear not all guitars have this problem to begin with, so I would imagine there is a fix for it. Any ideas as to what that fix might be? Maybe an adjustment/replacement of the nut to keep it reactive enough to sound when it's supposed to, but not overreactive?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorHedgesFan View Post
I tried muting the strings over the third fret to rule out a problem with the strings touching higher frets, and that eliminated the sound...
Based on that information, I'd try altering the amount of bow in the neck. Try adjusting the truss rod a bit to see if that eliminates the problem. If not, it is a quick and easy thing to undo the changes.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Default Thanks!

I'll give that a shot and see if it does the trick.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorHedgesFan View Post
I'll give that a shot and see if it does the trick.
Yes, as Charles says, a truss rod adjustment may help. I'd suggest trying first to straighten the neck to make it more evenly responsive to the tapping technique. You may find this helps you bring out the correct note more strongly, and if you're lucky at the same time it might lower or eliminate volume from the unwanted extra note.

I used to be a Stanley Jordan fan and learned a few jazz tunes in his two hand tapping style. A bit different than Hedges, but they do share the 2 handed "piano-like" style and the possibility of unwanted notes.

Good luck, and post back your results!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair