The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Default Video/Audio Sync Software

I was wondering what inexpensive/free software you would recommend to sync and mixing video and audio? I'm just doing a simple video with a camera and recording the audio with a Zoom. I'm not sure how to sync the two up.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM

In order to answer your question we need to know your computer OS and video format. For SD on a Windows XP system Windows Movie Maker will do the job but it won't handle HD. On Win7 or Vista you can use Windows Live Movie Maker, a free download from Microsoft, and it handles HD. On a Mac iMovie will do the job (or at least an earlier version would, I'm unsure about the latest versions, I've heard conflicting reports).

I've done a number of posts on this topic at the Homebrewed Music blog (in my sig) all related to the PC. It's possible to sync with free stuff like Avidemux and Audacity, but it's a bit techie and flaky. My quick and dirty solution these days is to use the REAPER digital audio workstation software, which comes as a free full featured demo download and has a purchase price of $60. The video features are in their early stages and may require downloading some extra software libraries, but the software is amazingly efficient and responsive as well as inexpensive. You can simply drag and drop many video formats to the timeline without transcoding.

There are many dedicated video editing programs that can do what you need, most are priced right around $100. These include Vegas in its "lighter" versions, Adobe Premiere Elements, and stuff from Corel and others.

The basic trick is to use the camera audio to line things up with the imported audio. A sharp clap that is captured by on both audio streams makes it easy to line things up, but even without that it's not terribly hard to get things in sync.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM

That is exactly what I needed. I'm running Windows 7 and the video will be 720p HD. I'll check out your blog too.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD