The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Hi Wingman, thanks for the link to the BR wave convertor.

I thought you'd like to know that it works using the USB link to connect the BR to my PC!

I put the BR into "USB Backup" mode as per the process in the manual but stopped once the BR was showing the "Idling..." message. Then, rather than move files from the mapped drive that is the CF card in the BR, I ran the wave convertor program. It recognised the mapped drive and will pull the tracks in a song into wave files as selected on the GUI.

Excellent!

Last edited by Old Fuzzface; 01-05-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Aha! Thank you very much for that! I was hoping there was a way to do it with the cable and not have to physically unplug anything. I wonder why they don't document this kind of helpful information that everyone would want to know. Well, thanks for doing the experimenting and figuring it out.
Peavy Fury V bass
LR Baggs Gigpro
DigiTech JamMan
Fishman Loudbox 100
Boss BR-600
Vegas & Sound Forge
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=641563
Old 01-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Have no clue on the BR-600, but I suspect that it and the Micro BR are built for different purposes.....

and I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with the Micro BR...

it's everything from a portable recorder (two AAs) to a drum and effects machine to a song learning device (with the ability to slow down .wav and .mp3 files without changing pitch)...I learned Clapton/Cale "Danger" in 15 minutes one night playing along under the headphones at normal speed (OK, not a complex song, but I'm not the best ear in the biz), and recorded my demo of the song in 5 minutes the next morning, recording vocals and acoustic rhythm using the itsy-bitsy external mic and adding a second track of electric lead using the guitar input and an effect....then mixed down to an .mp3 and sent it to a few buds w/o any post recording work....

I think it'll take about a month to figure out all that it can do (there's a lot of capability that I think I'll stick to Adobe Audition for in terms of final production), but it takes about 5 seconds from "that sounds pretty cool" to being able to capture the moment (turn on, select input, hit record...)
Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 AM

hi, im having a problem here. i have a usb cable from an old webcam that matches the connector for the BR-600, but the problem is when i made the backup to PC, the card was completely full and made the bacup to PC but now i cant recover to BR, it says "there is no space on card" , when i tryed to export in .WAV i cant because it says "card full" but i erased more than a half of the recorded music and nothing...Is there a way to convert to WAV the backup i did on the computer? The file on the roland's folder is TAKE_DAT.BR0 but it is to large to put it on the BR-600 memory card. Can i convert it on PC ? I think the manual is a great ****...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostedsoul View Post
hi, im having a problem here. i have a usb cable from an old webcam that matches the connector for the BR-600, but the problem is when i made the backup to PC, the card was completely full and made the bacup to PC but now i cant recover to BR, it says "there is no space on card" , when i tryed to export in .WAV i cant because it says "card full" but i erased more than a half of the recorded music and nothing...Is there a way to convert to WAV the backup i did on the computer? The file on the roland's folder is TAKE_DAT.BR0 but it is to large to put it on the BR-600 memory card. Can i convert it on PC ? I think the manual is a great ****...
Hi there, I hope this answers your questions:

If you do a backup the complete content of the flash card is sent to the PC without any change of format. So the files are still in the Roland format and can't be recognised by any of your normal music applications like Media Player etc.

The idea of making a backup is that you can then clear the content of the CF card in the BR and create more songs on it. If you ever want to re-visit the backed up songs, you first make a new backup of the current songs on the BR (to a different folder than the first backup). Then you clear the CF card in the BR. Finally you restore the first backup onto the BR.

When exporting to wav using the procedure in the manual, CF card space is important because the wav file is first created in the BR (taking up space on the CF card) before it is sent to the PC.

If you use the BR convertor program I think that does not need that extra space on the CF card in the BR - it reads the Roland format data and does the conversion on the PC. I haven't tried this with a small CF card to verify that this will work when the card is full but I'm pretty sure it won't need much (if any) space on the CF card to function.

You should definitely get a bigger CF card. 1Gb cards are really cheap now. I have just ordered another as a spare and it cost less than $40 US.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM

yes you are right, with the conversor we can made the transfer to pc without having space on card, just choose backup on BR and then it connects to pc, start the conversor and it is ready to start transfering thanks one question.. do u know if micro-br can make drum patterns like in BR-600? is the quality of effects better? and it is 24bit, BR-600 is 16 bit :/
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM

one question.. do u know if micro-br can make drum patterns like in BR-600? (yes) is the quality of effects better( don't know) ? and it is 24bit (yes), BR-600 is 16 bit :/
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM

how can u make drum patterns like in br-600 if micro dont have pads? u can completely make ur own drum patterns instead of editing the presets? the signal processing in br-600 is 24 bit i read it in the end of the manual when it goes to wav it is 16 bit like micro-br. where we can get SMF's to drive the drums?? anyone know what is the best way to record a whole band to make an EP with the br-600? thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM

I haven't done a A/B listening comparison but I guess the sound quality will be very similar. For me the choice was on the basis of features rather than audio playback quality. If you want a pocket size tool then the choice is a no-brainer but for me, the BR-600 was still small enough to be easily portable and still has the ability to run on batteries in a pinch. I didn't want a hard drive recorder due to the internal noise the disk drives generate.

The main features that sold me on the BR-600 instead of the Micro BR were (1) the 8 tracks (2) having 2x external mic inputs and (3) faders for channel mixing.

It's also nice to have the stereo mic pair built in for recording non-musical events direct to stereo.

BRs aren't the greatest for recording a full band unless you are happy to go with a live mix to stereo because most BRs don't have enough mic inputs and are limited to recording 2 tracks at once. The top of the range BR1600 can record 8 mics at once and will be OK for multi-tracking a band. Consider it against the AW Yamahas (our band uses an AW16G) or Korg or Tascam units.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fuzzface View Post
The main features that sold me on the BR-600 instead of the Micro BR were (1) the 8 tracks (2) having 2x external mic inputs and (3) faders for channel mixing.
Do you have a point of view on the quality of the recording for the BR600 vs. units that record in uncompressed .wav format such as the Zoom H4/
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM

i know for the best results we should have a 8 track simultaneos recorder, but it is just for the drums, i think instead of 8 we can put the drums in 1 or 2 channels and it is not so bad, thats what we have, anyone tryed to do this before? thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
The drum machine function is very programable. You can edit the patterns or make your own. The patterns are put together to form "arrangements" as you like. You can also just hit record and tap away on the pads, but the pads are very small and frankly not terribly responsive in real time. They do make programming patterns fairly easy though. You can program patterns one drum sound at a time on a timeline which is very precise.

For an example, take a look here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=641563

and scroll down to "Your Eyes"
Very nice recording! A couple of questions...do the preset drum patterns include fills? Did you have to create/modify them manually? Are they switchable in real time, for example with a footswitch?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM

hi, i'm tired of trying to make distortions, and i cant pick one i like, its a litlle bit hard to edit the preset effetcs i cant make the sound i want, is there any site with the combinations to make distortions and editing boss effetcs? i think this is the worst part of BR-600...thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostedsoul View Post
i know for the best results we should have a 8 track simultaneos recorder, but it is just for the drums, i think instead of 8 we can put the drums in 1 or 2 channels and it is not so bad, thats what we have, anyone tryed to do this before? thanks
Hi LS...
I've gotten some pretty creative drum mixes with only 4 mics...a pair of Large Diaphragm spread to the outer edges of the kit and at 8 feet off the floor panned hard left/right and set to omni, another large diaphragm uni-directional on the kick and a 3/4'' uni-directional aimed at the snare from underneath the hi hat.

With judicious positioning it came out nice. Here is a sample from 4 years back with the drums recorded in the spare bedroom next to my studio, with padding and gobos around him with the kick facing into the blanketed foot of the bed.

We built the barriers with about a foot behind the throne to the wall, and the walls of the temporary cage going up to about 6 feet high on the sides. The only surface not treated was the ceiling.

Falling - click

If I needed to do it with two mics, I'd experiment with both an A/B from waist high and 5-6 feet in front of the kit, and with the overheads parallel with the player's body or further behind the kit aimed down in A/B, or I try an X/Y from in front of the kit. Actually, I might try my Jecklin disk too.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM

Wingman et al. - I've really enjoyed your review thread of the BR600 - I don't really know all the jargon but what I got was very helpful. I've been playing guitar for about 40 yrs and actually do ok at it. My daughter (24) and I play acoustic blues and rags together. I've got 2 microphones on stands and 3 amps (1 Roland and 2 small Crates) that I've picked at garage sales: 1 mic for voice (with modest reverb), 1 in front of the soundhole (slight reverb), and then a direct plug-in to the fishman transducer on my Martin (all in my impromptu studio, formerly my moved-out daughter's bedroom). I'm going to pick a couple more mics for her voice and nylon string guitar. It's low budget, but drop-ins tell us the sound is sweet. So now the question - we want to record our efforts for posterity. Does it sound like a BR600 would work for that? I'm really not a computer dummy, but on the other hand I don't want to spend all my time as a recording technician, we just want lay down some live recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell